Vietnam

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

jbmoore68

Re: Vietnam

Post by jbmoore68 »

Good Morning, Vietnam !!!
berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

10 June, 1967

Hát Dịch housed Base Area 301, a staging area for the Viet Cong (VC) 5th Division from which they could harass Highway 1, the main supply route between Biên Hòa and Xuân Lộc District and all points further north. They could also interdict Highway 15 to Vũng Tàu, Highway 2 into Phước Tuy Province and Highway 20 to Da Lat. While earlier operations had pushed the 5th Division east into the Mây Tào Mountains, they were expected to return to the Hát Dịch during the rainy season. In early June U.S. forces operating 15 km south of Blackhorse Base Camp observed PAVN moving towards the Hát Dịch.

9th Division commander MG George G. O'Connor devised an operation to clear the entire 250 square kilometers of Base Area 301. The 1st Brigade would move east from Highway 15 accompanied by an engineer task force. While the 1st Brigade provided protection, the engineers would use Rome plows to enlarge two parallel trails that eventually met east of Highway 2 and a third that joined the two in Hát Dịch. Simultaneously a squadron from the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment would patrol with an Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) Ranger battalion east of Hát Dịch.

Lasting from 9 to 29 June 1967, Operation Akron was conducted in the Hát Dịch by the 1st Brigade, 9th Infantry Division, the 1st & 3rd Squadrons, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, and the ARVN 18th Division. The operation resulted in 412 PAVN, 9 U.S. and 51 ARVN killed.

Vietnam20230610.jpg
Vietnam20230610.jpg (459.58 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Ongoing operations today in 1966:

26 Mar.-23 Sep.
Operation SU BOK, battalion-size operation by elements of the ROK Marine Brigade and Capital Division in Binh Dinh Province.

26 Mar.-21 Jul.
Operation FILLMORE starts. The 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, 2d ROK Marine Brigade and the 47th ARVN Regiment will continue search and destroy and rice harvest security operations in Phu Yen Province in an area centered 10km west-southwest of Tuy Hoa.

10 May-31 Jul.
Operation PAUL REVERE I begins. The 3d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division operating from LZ OASIS will launch a campaign along the Cambodian border to prevent a sortie from then 1st PAVN Division and a possible attack of the CIDG Camps at Plei Djereng, Duc Co and Plei Me. Keeping one of its battalion in reserve at OASIS, the brigade will push its other two maneuver units to the southwest in the direction of the Ia Drang Valley. The 2d and 3d Brigades of the 1st Cavalry Division will reinforce if needed.

23 May-25 Jun.
Operation ATHENS, 3/4 Marines road clearing operation between Phu Bai and Phu Loc.

25 May 66-8 Feb.67
Operation LAM SON II, 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division pacification campaign in Binh Duong and Bien Hoa Provinces.

1-21 Jun.
Operation HAWTHORNE/DAN THANG 61 initiated. Intelligence reports that the NVA is massing to attack the Toumorong outpost in Kontum Province. The 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division will mount a spoiling operation northeast and northwest of the town while the 1/42 ARVN Bn and 21st BDQ will relieve the RF Company there via Route 509. 2/327 at Tuy Hoa and the 1/5 Cav (1st Cavalry Division) will reinforce if necessary.

2 Jun.-13 Jul.
The 1st Infantry Division with its 1st and 3d Brigades and its Armored Cavalry Squadron will mount an operation named EL PASO II to protect the allied installations in Binh Long Province, especially the city of An Loc and the CIDG Camps at Loc Ninh, Minh Thanh and Chon Thanh and to keep Highway 13 and Route 245 open. The 9th VC Division is still believed to prepare an offensive in the area.

3 Jun.-3 Jul.
Operation FORT SMITH, 2/14 (25thInfantry) area pacification operation in Trang Bang district, Hau Nghia Province.

5-12 Jun.
Operation FLORIDA/DOAN KET begins. The 2/1, 2/4 and 3/12 Marines will join a VNMC battalion to sweep the area between the Song Bo and the Song O Lau in the Co Bi-Thanh Tan area where the 6th PAVN Regiment has been reported.

6-12 Jun.
Operation APACHE, 2/5 Marines search and destroy in Quang Tin Province.

6-20 Jun.
Operation BENNING II, 1st Cavalry Division road security in Binh Dinh Province.

7-12 Jun.
ARVN and CIDG units launch five-day Operation THAN PHONG III in Pleiku Province.

8-18 Jun.
The 173d Airborne Brigade will mount Operation HOLLANDIA to sweep the hills east of Long Hai (106,193) in Phuoc Tuy Province to look for the possible presence of the 274th and 275th VC Regiments.

9-21 Jun.
Operation HOOKER I, 2d Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division reconnaissance, security and search and destroy vicinity of the cambodian border, Pleiku and Kontum Provinces.

New Operations today in 1966:

10-25 Jun.
Operation KAWELA, 1st Brigade, 25thInfantry Division search and destroy in Iron Triangle.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

11 June, 1963

A Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist monk, Hòa thượng Thích Quảng Đức, burned himself to death at a busy street intersection in Saigon. He was protesting the persecution of Buddhists by Diệm's government. Associated Press (AP) photographer Malcolm Browne took a photograph of the incident which was published on the front page of nearly every newspaper in the world.

Vietnam20230611.jpg
Vietnam20230611.jpg (160.12 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

26 Mar.-23 Sep.
Operation SU BOK, battalion-size operation by elements of the ROK Marine Brigade and Capital Division in Binh Dinh Province.

26 Mar.-21 Jul.
Operation FILLMORE starts. The 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, 2d ROK Marine Brigade and the 47th ARVN Regiment will continue search and destroy and rice harvest security operations in Phu Yen Province in an area centered 10km west-southwest of Tuy Hoa.

10 May-31 Jul.
Operation PAUL REVERE I begins. The 3d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division operating from LZ OASIS will launch a campaign along the Cambodian border to prevent a sortie from then 1st PAVN Division and a possible attack of the CIDG Camps at Plei Djereng, Duc Co and Plei Me. Keeping one of its battalion in reserve at OASIS, the brigade will push its other two maneuver units to the southwest in the direction of the Ia Drang Valley. The 2d and 3d Brigades of the 1st Cavalry Division will reinforce if needed.

23 May-25 Jun.
Operation ATHENS, 3/4 Marines road clearing operation between Phu Bai and Phu Loc.

25 May 66-8 Feb.67
Operation LAM SON II, 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division pacification campaign in Binh Duong and Bien Hoa Provinces.

1-21 Jun.
Operation HAWTHORNE/DAN THANG 61 initiated. Intelligence reports that the NVA is massing to attack the Toumorong outpost in Kontum Province. The 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division will mount a spoiling operation northeast and northwest of the town while the 1/42 ARVN Bn and 21st BDQ will relieve the RF Company there via Route 509. 2/327 at Tuy Hoa and the 1/5 Cav (1st Cavalry Division) will reinforce if necessary.

2 Jun.-13 Jul.
The 1st Infantry Division with its 1st and 3d Brigades and its Armored Cavalry Squadron will mount an operation named EL PASO II to protect the allied installations in Binh Long Province, especially the city of An Loc and the CIDG Camps at Loc Ninh, Minh Thanh and Chon Thanh and to keep Highway 13 and Route 245 open. The 9th VC Division is still believed to prepare an offensive in the area.

3 Jun.-3 Jul.
Operation FORT SMITH, 2/14 (25thInfantry) area pacification operation in Trang Bang district, Hau Nghia Province.

5-12 Jun.
Operation FLORIDA/DOAN KET begins. The 2/1, 2/4 and 3/12 Marines will join a VNMC battalion to sweep the area between the Song Bo and the Song O Lau in the Co Bi-Thanh Tan area where the 6th PAVN Regiment has been reported.

6-12 Jun.

6-20 Jun.

7-12 Jun.
ARVN and CIDG units launch five-day Operation THAN PHONG III in Pleiku Province.

8-18 Jun.
The 173d Airborne Brigade will mount Operation HOLLANDIA to sweep the hills east of Long Hai (106,193) in Phuoc Tuy Province to look for the possible presence of the 274th and 275th VC Regiments.

9-21 Jun.
Operation HOOKER I, 2d Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division reconnaissance, security and search and destroy vicinity of the cambodian border, Pleiku and Kontum Provinces.

10-25 Jun.
Operation KAWELA, 1st Brigade, 25thInfantry Division search and destroy in Iron Triangle.

jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

12 June, 1965

South Vietnam's President Phan Khắc Sửu and Prime Minister Phan Huy Quát announced their resignations, less than eight months after they had formed a civilian government that worked within the oversight of the military leaders. Major General Nguyễn Văn Thiệu [photo left] was named as the President, chairing the "Supreme Military Council", and Vice Air Marshal Nguyễn Cao Kỳ [photo center] became Prime Minister.

Vietnam20230612.jpg
Vietnam20230612.jpg (124.85 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Good morning Vietnam!

Today's top song from 1966 is ...

I see a red door
And I want it painted black
No colors anymore
I want them to turn black

I see the girls walk by
Dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head
Until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars
And they're all painted black
With flowers and my love
Both never to come back

I've seen people turn their heads
And quickly look away
Like a newborn baby
It just happens everyday

I look inside myself
And see my heart is black
I see my red door
I must have it painted black

Maybe then, I'll fade away
And not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up
When your whole world is black

No more will my green sea
Go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing
Happening to you

If I look hard enough
Into the setting sun
My love will laugh with me
Before the morning comes

I see a red door
And I want it painted black
No colors anymore
I want them to turn black

I see the girls walk by
Dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head
Until my darkness goes

I wanna see it painted
Painted black
Black as night
Black as coal
I wanna see the sun
Blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted
Painted black, yeah
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

26 Mar.-23 Sep.

26 Mar.-21 Jul.

10 May-31 Jul.

23 May-25 Jun.

25 May 66-8 Feb.67

1-21 Jun.

2 Jun.-13 Jul.

3 Jun.-3 Jul.

5-12 Jun.

6-12 Jun.

6-20 Jun.

7-12 Jun.

8-18 Jun.

9-21 Jun.

10-25 Jun.
Operation KAWELA, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division search and destroy in Iron Triangle.

12-14 Jun.
Operation FARGO, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division search and destroy in Hau Nghia Province.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

13 June, 1967

Two days in, Operation Billings was a U.S. search and destroy operation conducted by the 3rd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division north of Phước Vĩnh during the Vietnam War. The operation was conducted from 12 to 26 June 1967 and resulted in 347 VC killed and one captured against U.S. losses of 57 killed.

Vietnam20230613.jpg
Vietnam20230613.jpg (368.91 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

26 Mar.-23 Sep.

26 Mar.-21 Jul.

10 May-31 Jul.

23 May-25 Jun.

25 May 66-8 Feb.67

1-21 Jun.

2 Jun.-13 Jul.

3 Jun.-3 Jul.

6-20 Jun.

8-18 Jun.

9-21 Jun.

10-25 Jun.
Operation KAWELA, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division search and destroy in Iron Triangle.

12-14 Jun.
Operation FARGO, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division search and destroy in Hau Nghia Province.

13 Jun.
Operation MEXICALI, 1/5 (25th Infantry) search and destroy in Hau Nghia Province.

13-22 Jun.
III MAF orders the 1st Marine Reconnaissance Battalion and the 1st Force Recon Company to conduct an extensive reconnaissance campaign named Operation KANSAS between Tam Ky and Hiep Duc. Reports indicate that the 2nd PAVN Division has re-entered the Que Son Valley. The 1st Force Recon Co will open the operation with a parachute drop east of Hill 555 (136,51) and occupy it.

13 Jun.-4 Jul.
Operation SANTA FE, 1/27 (25th Infantry) area pacification operation in Duc Hoa district, Hau Nghia Province.

13 Jun.-14 Jul.
Operation FRESNO, 2/27 (25th Infantry) area pacification operation west of Bau Trai, Hau Nghia Province.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

14 June, 1967

The VC attacked two hamlets in Châu Đốc Province in the Mekong Delta, killing 19 civilians and wounding 41. The ARVN killed 202 VC and captured 19 in related operations.

Vietnam20230614.jpg
Vietnam20230614.jpg (152.55 KiB) Viewed 278 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

26 Mar.-23 Sep.

26 Mar.-21 Jul.

10 May-31 Jul.

23 May-25 Jun.

25 May 66-8 Feb.67

1-21 Jun.

2 Jun.-13 Jul.

3 Jun.-3 Jul.

6-20 Jun.

8-18 Jun.

9-21 Jun.

10-25 Jun.

12-14 Jun.

13-22 Jun.
III MAF orders the 1st Marine Reconnaissance Battalion and the 1st Force Recon Company to conduct an extensive reconnaissance campaign named Operation KANSAS between Tam Ky and Hiep Duc. Reports indicate that the 2nd PAVN Division has re-entered the Que Son Valley. The 1st Force Recon Co will open the operation with a parachute drop east of Hill 555 (136,51) and occupy it.

13 Jun.-4 Jul.
Operation SANTA FE, 1/27 (25th Infantry) area pacification operation in Duc Hoa district, Hau Nghia Province.

13 Jun.-14 Jul.
Operation FRESNO, 2/27 (25th Infantry) area pacification operation west of Bau Trai, Hau Nghia Province.

None
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

15 June, 1968

Operation Robin was a U.S. Marine Corps operation that took place southeast of Khe Sanh, Quảng Trị Province from 2–19 June 1968.

Shortly before dawn on 15 June a Battalion of the PAVN 88th Regiment attacked the 3/4 Marines near Lang Hole penetrating the Marine position. The battle continued until 9am when the PAVN withdrew pursued by helicopter gunships. Marine losses were 16 dead and 58 wounded while PAVN losses were 219 dead and 11 captured.

Vietnam20230615.jpg
Vietnam20230615.jpg (151.57 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

26 Mar.-23 Sep.

26 Mar.-21 Jul.

10 May-31 Jul.

23 May-25 Jun.

25 May 66-8 Feb.67

1-21 Jun.

2 Jun.-13 Jul.

3 Jun.-3 Jul.

6-20 Jun.

8-18 Jun.

9-21 Jun.

10-25 Jun.

12-14 Jun.

13-22 Jun.

13 Jun.-4 Jul.

13 Jun.-14 Jul.

15 Jun.
A new CIDG camp opens at Buon Blech for detachment A-238.

Other

15-16 Jun.
Battle of Nui Vu, 1st Recon Bn, C/1/5 Marines fight for Hill 488, Que Son Valley (part of KANSAS)
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”