Valor & Victory: Shield of Cholm is coming soon

Valor & Victory is a fast-playing, easy to learn World War II squad-level game system. Based on the original Valor & Victory board game, the digital edition provides you with an accessible and deep challenge, developed for classic tabletop game lovers.
NotTooBad

Valor & Victory: Shield of Cholm is coming soon

Post by NotTooBad »

Shield of Cholm, the second DLC for Valor & Victory, will be available on July 7th, 2022.

Cholm’s emergence onto the stage of historical events of World War II came about as a result of the Russian Winter Offensive of 1941-1942. In January 1942 the Soviet Red Army began a series of counter offensives against the German Army. The Germans started to withdraw and occupied the strategic town of Cholm. To keep the offensive going the Russians needed to capture Cholm. The Germans, from their perspective, could ill afford to lose this strategic point.

Despite the appearance of a run of the mill Russian village, Cholm was of strategic significance: it held a bridge across the lengthy Lovat River and dominated a road nexus of four main roads amid an otherwise large, marshy and low lying area .

The DLC comes with an update of the base game:

Battle Generator

Create random scenarios

Choose the sides, scenario size and forces types

Fog of War

Per scenario option for opponents being hidden when not in LOS

Difficulty Balance

Manage Dice bias for a harder or easier game

The Shield of Cholm DLC is based on the Kampfgruppe Scherer supplement from Le Franc Tireur.

12 New Scenarios

Huge maps, larger than any released in Valor & Victory so far.

New Units

Partisans, Conscripts, Russian Assault Engineers

New terrain types

Rubble, debris, escarpments & ice
athineos

Re: Valor & Victory: Shield of Cholm is coming soon

Post by athineos »

Wonderful news.
1-Does the Battle Generator create a random map or you have to choose from the existing pool of maps?
2-If there is a random map created, can you later upload it and edit it so you can play it? Thanks
yobowargames

Post by yobowargames »

Hi athineos

In this first version, it will randomly select a map from the existing pool of maps available in the base game.
YOBOWARGAMES – “BRINGING THE JOYS OF BOARD WARGAMING TO THE PC”
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

REALLY looking forward to this! I have drooled over the ASL Cholm module for years (even though I haven't played ASL in over 30 years).

Jason Mark's book "Besieged - the Epic Battle for Cholm" is one of the best works of military history I have ever read.
yobowargames

Post by yobowargames »

I brought the module so I could do the conversion and it's a very impressive package.

And I agree the book is great. Very detailed with its day-by-day descriptions.
Rondor11

Post by Rondor11 »

I have played the ASL version. Outstanding campaign.
Chris B

Tribute to DD485, the USS Duncan. Sunk at Cape Esperance October 11, 1942 with my 15 year old father aboard. 48 died from wounds and sharks.
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

I don't suppose my proposals re an Advancing Fire phase, Malfunction & Repair or enhancing options for controlling the AI during Defensive Fire were adopted...
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

Great to see VV getting some attention. I haven't had much time to dedicate to the new East Front module but starting to get back into it and looking forward to Cholm.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

The Battle Generator, FoW, and difficulty balance together in an update is something I never thought I'd see. Very significant news for this game. I should have had more faith!
yobowargames

Post by yobowargames »

Rosseau, Monkie, Celeborn

We do listen to suggestions I promise! As this is not a full-time occupation for us, but more a labor of love, it takes time to develop, test, and add new features while at the same time developing new modules like Cholm.

The Cholm scenarios are big, so if you like bigger scenarios this will be the one for you.

Lance
DingBat

Post by DingBat »

Rosseau wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:16 am The Battle Generator, FoW, and difficulty balance together in an update is something I never thought I'd see. Very significant news for this game. I should have had more faith!
Given the state of some AAA games these days, paying customers are somewhat justified in being skeptical.

As Lance mentioned, the main thing limiting us is that there's only two of us, and Lance is working full time. :)

There's a couple of things we believe in and try to stick with:
1. If players can have some fun with what we have, then release it.
2. Listen to feedback
3. Improve and extend.

We're just a little throttled on developer bandwidth.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, I did think the game would continue to be updated, as the developers had already proven themselves with that.

But I was surprised to see three very significant enhancements happening all in one update.

Our job then, seeing the loyalty the devs continue to show to their project, remains the same: To continue to support the game, especially to the audience on Steam.

Congrats!
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

Appreciate update on (limited) bandwidth which explains a lot. FWIW I will continue to buy DLCs regardless of whether my hare-brained suggestions are adopted.

Steve

Return to “Valor & Victory”