WEGO World War II: Stalingrad is coming soon

The new game by Brian Kelly, sequel to Desert War: 1941-1942

Moderator: Saint Ruth

Edmon

WEGO World War II: Stalingrad is coming soon

Post by Edmon »

Brian Kelly's new operational level, ground-centric, WEGOWW2 game WEGO World War II: Stalingrad, captures the drama of the epic German offensive to capture the industrial city of Stalingrad in the Summer of '42.

Manage "organized chaos" as units clash during simultaneous turns in which there can often only be one victor. Plan for both the known and the unknown, you will need to be thinking 3 moves ahead if you don't want your frontline to collapse.

As a ground-focused game, logistics and unit placement will play a key role, but you will also have access to air and support powers. Use these wisely, they could turn the tide of a critical engagement. You can also have the staff A.I. manage sections of the battlefield for you, assigning these support powers where they are most needed and allowing you to focus on the operational ground combat exclusively.

We are looking for Beta Testers, so if you are excited to help test and shape this new WWII experience, be sure to register your interest on our beta page here. For more information on the game, you can also check its product page here.
Slitherine Games - Community Manager - Italian Office

Any questions, concerns or comments about our Community Forums or Games? You are always welcome to drop me a PM.
elmo3

RE: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad is coming soon

Post by elmo3 »

Looking forward to hearing more.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Bring it!
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Nice!
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Looks very, very interesting. Got out Desert War and started going through the tutorial again to refresh my memory on the system, though I assume there are some changes from the Desert War system.
ranknfile

Post by ranknfile »

The WEGO system in Desert War: 1940-42 is brilliant. The AI is not very impressive however. I think of it as a great two-player game, not however, as deserving of praise as a single-player game. That said, I'm sure I'll buy this.
bigus

Post by bigus »

Desert war was good but not my cup of tea or my theatre of choice.
I thought the system was great though.
I'm Looking forward to this!
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

What's the ETA?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

If they're just starting beta then I'll guess November 19th for release. The start of Operation Uranus. [;)]
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
jupiter999

Post by jupiter999 »

Intriguing...[X(]
Hellway

Post by Hellway »

Waiting for this, I buy Desert War (because my favorite theatre with Bulge) a long time ago but begin just to play "seriously"...I'm in love with this new gameplay...
David The Great

Post by David The Great »

Some questions,

The game is about the approach to the city and the battle in the city ? Is operation uranus also included ?
The game looks a lot like the 30 years ago released game " 4v4 world at war stalingrad" wich was also a wego game, does it compare and what are the main differences ?
Why is a day divided in 5 day turns and 1 night turn ? Seems rather odd thinking it plays during autumn.
Any indication on price ?
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: David The Great

Some questions,

The game is about the approach to the city and the battle in the city ? Is operation uranus also included ?
Hi, no, this game is just about the German attack on Stalingrad, so not including uranus.
The game looks a lot like the 30 years ago released game " 4v4 world at war stalingrad" wich was also a wego game, does it compare and what are the main differences ?
I've played that old Stalingrad game all right. This one has differences, has Intel units, Partisans, Counter Air and Interdiction. Also it has Move Battles (in the old Stalingrad, attacks only happened at turn start (with the exception of Overruns) whereas in this game, you can "Move And Attack".
Also armour is handled differently, with Armour units having a Shock (odds shifts).
There are also bridges which can be destroyed and repaired, and minefields that can be breached.
There are other differences of course, but it's been so long since I played the "other" Stalingrad, I can't remember off the top of my head. [;)]
ORIGINAL: David The GreatWhy is a day divided in 5 day turns and 1 night turn ? Seems rather odd thinking it plays during autumn.
Length of day depends on the scenario. But in general, it takes longer to do things at night, so to simulate this, the night turns are longer (in hours).
Any indication on price ?
No idea yet!

Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

What's the ETA?
We'll see how BETA goes first!
OnWargaming

Post by OnWargaming »

Good luck with your project, time to read Glantz's trilogy (quadrilogy) again [:)]
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I have Desert War and played a number of PBEM games with friends so I am familiar with the system. One of the suggestions I made in the forum which Brian implemented in a update was to show the number of men and tanks in a unit and also in casualties. I hope that this will also be the case for Stalingrad. I like the game system but am concerned that Stalingrad was a slugfest with gains measured in yards so the game may be quite static. How about Guadalcanal for the next one? Very few games on Pacific battles compared to the number on the western and eastern fronts.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

I have Desert War and played a number of PBEM games with friends so I am familiar with the system. One of the suggestions I made in the forum which Brian implemented in a update was to show the number of men and tanks in a unit and also in casualties. I hope that this will also be the case for Stalingrad. I like the game system but am concerned that Stalingrad was a slugfest with gains measured in yards so the game may be quite static. How about Guadalcanal for the next one? Very few games on Pacific battles compared to the number on the western and eastern fronts.
Yep, number of men/guns/tanks/planes will be in Stalingrad too.
The Game is about the German attack, so there's lots of movement, and sweeping attacks.
We've also tried to reduce the unit counter total by being able to combine units (so a regiment can be either 3 battalion counters or 1 regiment counters).

Guadalcanal would be interesting all right. Nothing decided yet! ;)
george420

Post by george420 »

Looking forward to this, hurry.
DesertedFox

Post by DesertedFox »

Any update on this wonderful game? Eager to buy it, even a preorder would be nice.
Hoyt Burrass

Post by Hoyt Burrass »

Need any more beta testers?...I have a reliable (well, as reliable as any Scot[:D]) opponent. We would be happy to contribute to PBEM testing if needed.
Roll Tide

Return to “WEGO World War II: Stalingrad”