WEGO World War II: Stalingrad is coming soon

The new game by Brian Kelly, sequel to Desert War: 1941-1942

Moderator: Saint Ruth

Saint Ruth

Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad is coming soon

Post by Saint Ruth »

Thanks, but we're in the final stretch now, nearly there!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I haven't watched all the diaries, but was wondering if an editor is planned, like in the first game?

Thanks!
governato

Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad is coming soon. Editor.

Post by governato »

Yes, there is an editor. There is a scenario development manual with info on the AI ... which I affectionally call "HAL1942".

New scenarios can be shared on the forum or even directly in the game through the multiplayer interface. In this second case the player who joins the game does not need to have a file copy of the scenario (useful during testing or if there is no AI programmed).

The things one learns through beta testing!
HAL1942.png
HAL1942.png (85.58 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Rosseau wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:23 am I haven't watched all the diaries, but was wondering if an editor is planned, like in the first game?

Thanks!
Same Editor that was used to create the scenarios in the game is shipped with the game!
Cheers,
Brian
Tom_

Post by Tom_ »

Hey Folks,

Really excited for this game, a blend between GGWE2 and Flashpoint campaigns!

I have been following the AARs and Dev diaries - they are all really interesting and well presented.

I do have some questions though;

1) It is possible to chain orders? - for example advance in 'road formation' a few movement points and then switch to 'move and defend' for the remaining move points?

2) Do the different types of movement order display in different colours? - I ask because the two YouTube videos I watched all the movement arrows were the same colour (but I think it was because the players didn't select anything other than move and attack!)

3) Can someone confirm the game still coming out today (31st) and hasn't hit any snags on the way? - yes I'm keen because I have a few hours spare right now :)

4) Weather - I have only seen two YouTube video's and neither discussed the weather - does it factor in this game? and to what extent?

5) Congestion, will having many units using the same route cause congestion/logistical challenges?

Thanks !
governato

Post by governato »

Really excited for this game, a blend between GGWE2 and Flashpoint campaigns!

Same!

I have been following the AARs and Dev diaries - they are all really interesting and well presented.

I do have some questions though;

1) It is possible to chain orders? - for example advance in 'road formation' a few movement points and then switch to 'move and defend' for the remaining move points?

Umm. Not yet. I arm twisting Brian to implement moves that last longer than a turn, so maybe that will be the time ;).

2) Do the different types of movement order display in different colours? -

Yes. See Image.

3) Can someone confirm the game still coming out today (31st) and hasn't hit any snags on the way?

YUP

4) Weather - I have only seen two YouTube video's and neither discussed the weather - does it factor in this game? and to what extent?

(Beta tester here, so Brian may want to add more). Weather was relatively stable and fair over the course of each scenario and the campaign.
There are options for mud and snow weather in the editor. Air Support has more night units when the Moon was favorable.

5) Congestion, will having many units using the same route cause congestion/logistical challenges?

There's a "congestion charge" on the roads. The more units that use a stretch of road,
the higher the movement cost for that road. Every unit that passes along a hex increases the
movement cost for that hex by 0.1 MP.

Thanks !
[/quote]
Attachments
colors.png
colors.png (616.72 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Tom_

Post by Tom_ »

Thanks for the response governato.

I'm going to try the different types of movements again to see if the arrows display in different colours.
I just tried the intro scenario and whatever movement option I chose the arrows were the same colour. - However, given I'm totally new to it I'm probably doing something wrong!

Regarding the weather - I had no idea about the campaign weather IRL, so that makes sense. (Although I think it should still be expressed in the UI)
Tom_

Post by Tom_ »

Tried the road movement option on the tutorial again and still no joy - cant get the blue arrows. - even on units leaving the deployment area on the first turn.
Watched strategy gamingdojo YouTube and neither could he by the looks of it.
Version 1.0.0
governato

Post by governato »

Tom_ wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:20 pm Tried the road movement option on the tutorial again and still no joy - cant get the blue arrows. - even on units leaving the deployment area on the first turn.
Version 1.0.0
Did you set the parent formation to Move+ ?

Move Plus (Move+) . Units subordinate to HQs at Move+ Supply Level have normal
movement factors (i.e. not halved as with Basic Supply). In addition, they can use
Road Movement. Units using Road Movement have increased movement capability
but are subject to ambush by enemy units. Use Move+ for long administrative moves
of reinforcements or quick lateral shifts of reserves behind your own front lines.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Tom_ wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:20 pm Tried the road movement option on the tutorial again and still no joy - cant get the blue arrows. - even on units leaving the deployment area on the first turn.
Version 1.0.0
Hi, to get road movement, you need to have Move+ supply.
Right click any unit and press the supply button (the 2 barrels on the bottom left of the unit details).
That'll open the Supply Screen.
Press the checkbox beside the Move+, and the press the tick above the checkboxes to confirm supply allocation.
Close the supply screen (press SPACE).

Now all the units in that units organisation should not have Move+ supply.
Press S key. This shows the units' supply. All units with Move+ supply should be Blue (Green is Combat+ and Orange is both). Your units should be Blue. Press S again to turn off the supply overlay.

Now press M key or the Move Type button (top left with the colored arrow) to change to Road Transport (i.e. until the button has a blue arrow).

Then just drag and drop your unit and it'll show a blue move arrow.

You can only move via one type of movement, so the unit must not have moved. The reason for this is that a unit cannot easily switch from driving down a road in convoy to be dispersed and deployed for battle. So to simulate that, you have to choose one move type.

Any problems, shout and I'll do it in pic!
/Brian :)
Tom_

Post by Tom_ »

governato wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:34 pm
Version 1.0.0
Did you set the parent formation to Move+ ?

Move Plus (Move+) . Units subordinate to HQs at Move+ Supply Level have normal
movement factors (i.e. not halved as with Basic Supply). In addition, they can use
Road Movement. Units using Road Movement have increased movement capability
but are subject to ambush by enemy units. Use Move+ for long administrative moves
of reinforcements or quick lateral shifts of reserves behind your own front lines.

You are correct! thank you (again!)
Entirely my mistake - I hadn't set it.
Whilst it is entirely my fault I wonder how many other people will be caught out by this - its a new concept (at least to me) and it didn't resonate in the tutorial.
kevinkins

Re: WEGO World War II: Stalingrad is coming soon. Editor.

Post by kevinkins »

governato wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:12 am Yes, there is an editor. There is a scenario development manual with info on the AI ... which I affectionally call "HAL1942".
Did Hal ship with new game or will it be posted in the forum?
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
governato

Post by governato »

HAL1942 lives in the editor...I did not see an editor manual in the release, but I hope it gets posted on the forum.
AI.png
AI.png (29.38 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

governato wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:20 pm HAL1942 lives in the editor...I did not see an editor manual in the release, but I hope it gets posted on the forum.

AI.png
Oh, I'll see about adding it with the patch too.

Return to “WEGO World War II: Stalingrad”