Why multiple cargo bays on spaceports and defensive bases?

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

fruitgnome

Why multiple cargo bays on spaceports and defensive bases?

Post by fruitgnome »

Why have the auto designs for spaceports and defensive bases multiple cargo bays?
What are the benefits?
fruitgnome

Re: Why multiple cargo bays on spaceports and defensive bases?

Post by fruitgnome »

Will be the cargo lost if all cargo bays of a sapceport are destroyed?
Clux

Post by Clux »

Spaceports need several cargo bays in order to store goods, either to make the trade between the planet/colony and the spaceships faster/easier or to have enough materials stockpile to produce new ships.

Defensive bases also require a bit of cargo bays in order to have an stockpile to keep producing fighters/bombers.
Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Interesting, thx. From where you have this information? Or only logic and tested?
Schatten

Post by Schatten »

i dont think Cargo Bays have any use at Spaceports over Planets. If you look exactly at the ressources they always 100% same for Planet and Spaceport, never any difference here.

The only place where you need them are derelic spaceports in asteroid fields or over empty planets. if you take them you can only store material here in cargo bays of the Spaceport
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Clux wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:39 pm Spaceports need several cargo bays in order to store goods, either to make the trade between the planet/colony and the spaceships faster/easier or to have enough materials stockpile to produce new ships.

Defensive bases also require a bit of cargo bays in order to have an stockpile to keep producing fighters/bombers.
No... you don't need cargo bays for any of that. A space station over a colony share the storage that is on the planet so it is infinite. You also don't need resources to build fighters either.

You only need ONE cargo bay and you should just put the cheapest one you have on these stations. That is all you need.
iancmtaylor

Post by iancmtaylor »

Erik has mentioned that the colony storage is very large, but not infinite.
I am /u/SharkMolester, moderator of /r/DistantWorlds and BFHKitteh, admin of https://dw2.fandom.com/wiki/Distant_Worlds_2_Wiki.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

iancmtaylor wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:13 am Erik has mentioned that the colony storage is very large, but not infinite.
For practical purposes it is infinite...
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Jorgen_CAB wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:41 am
Clux wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:39 pm ...
You also don't need resources to build fighters either.
Fighters an bombers does not need resources to be build? But the design screen shows resources. I'n my opinion resources should be needed.
HugsAndSnuggles

Post by HugsAndSnuggles »

fruitgnome wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm
Jorgen_CAB wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:41 am
Clux wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:39 pm ...
You also don't need resources to build fighters either.
Fighters an bombers does not need resources to be build? But the design screen shows resources. I'n my opinion resources should be needed.
Then you'd need to have any ship with a fighter bay carry those materials (assuming the bay itself does the construction, and you won't need separate module for that)... and even then we'd still have a question of fuel: why won't fighters use up ship reserves, as is proper?

Next you suggest that mining stations should require power to operate :lol:
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

But on bases or at least at colonies it would make sense and it would be no problem.
HugsAndSnuggles

fruitgnome wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:30 pm But on bases or at least at colonies it would make sense and it would be no problem.
While there are enough inconsistent behaviours in the game that adding one more wouldn't make much of a difference, I just don't see the point: is there really a need to put an effort into nerfing defensive use of strikecraft?
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

My thought was on late game performance. The biggest empires have almost endless cash, cash flow, bonus income and resources. If there were concepts of shrinking the endless things it would improve late game performance.
HugsAndSnuggles

fruitgnome wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:52 pm My thought was on late game performance. The biggest empires have almost endless cash, cash flow, bonus income and resources. If there were concepts of shrinking the endless things it would improve late game performance.
Sitting on a pile of resources does nothing to performance. It's when that pile is altered in any way, performance starts to degrade. With strike craft requiring materials, not only the game will have to make an extra operation to remove resources from storage, it will eventually lead to an extra freighter (or more likely a few dozen, considering how game handles logistics) moving those resources from somewhere.

Now, if you'd group strike craft into squadrons or something (to be processed as a single object) - that would actually improve performance.
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

HugsAndSnuggles wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:41 pm
fruitgnome wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:52 pm My thought was on late game performance. The biggest empires have almost endless cash, cash flow, bonus income and resources. If there were concepts of shrinking the endless things it would improve late game performance.
Sitting on a pile of resources does nothing to performance. It's when that pile is altered in any way, performance starts to degrade. With strike craft requiring materials, not only the game will have to make an extra operation to remove resources from storage, it will eventually lead to an extra freighter (or more likely a few dozen, considering how game handles logistics) moving those resources from somewhere.
Wrong. Keep it simple: count all builded freighters and bombers and multiply pro resources and take them from the colony amount. Less resources and cash overall reduces amount of troops, ships, bases and so on.
HugsAndSnuggles wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:41 pm Now, if you'd group strike craft into squadrons or something (to be processed as a single object) - that would actually improve performance.
Right. This I thought for myself once.

But it should stay like it is. I only wanted to know if fighters really not need resources and I didn't think on military ships, that have no resources on board. ANd the design screen shows the resources. So in desgn screen hide the resources. And it will be clear for everyone. Good is that fighters and bombers cost maintance. So it is written also in the design screen.

In galatopedia is written that fighters and bombers cost 0 resources and have 0 maintance costs. It's in my opionion a good concept, but then nowhere in game should be written any costs or resources.
Nightskies

Post by Nightskies »

The resources that a fighter lists impacts the cost of the fighter, and thus how much 'build power' it takes to produce. So the more expensive resources the fighter uses, the longer it takes to make and repair.

Just to be clear: it doesn't cost anything aside from build time and making the fighter bay itself and all its directly associated costs.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”