Patch note question

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

GHerr

Patch note question

Post by GHerr »

MINING AND RESOURCES
- Significantly slowed mining rates for mining components
I find this intriguing. May I ask the intent of this?
AKicebear

Re: Patch note question

Post by AKicebear »

I recall there were complaints of the civilian economy dumping excess cargo at ports because they were overloaded. Personally, I prefer the relative scarcity of the newer version - and wish they'd push it even further (maybe through an initial game setting).
dudefan

Post by dudefan »

does this change the meta of building mines everywhre?. one of my main reasons i stopped playing this games was bc there was no strategy involved with resource managment. just build mines everywhere...
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

I don't build mines everywhere
dudefan

Post by dudefan »

i see, i know you can superoptimize it, but midgame no point in micromanaging. if you feel like you have to do it to stay competitive sure. i dont have to and i know most people just spam it everywhere

see:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390968
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

I don't super optimize it (?). I check available mining sites occasionally and queue up locations with priority shortage resources (red box).
GHerr

Post by GHerr »

dudefan wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:17 am does this change the meta of building mines everywhre?. one of my main reasons i stopped playing this games was bc there was no strategy involved with resource managment. just build mines everywhere...
Thank you for pointing this out. Same. Maybe if not producing as much then you would need to consider return on investment?
OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

There are various intent behind this change:
- Mining rate technologies were useless since you always had enough resources with just a few mines.
- Rare resources were never really rare, you just had to find one good mine and it would usually be enough to feed a few big planets.
- Trading was almost non-existent since all empires had every possible resource in overflow.
- Mining stations were worthless strategically.

The change increases the value of mining stations, especially on rare resources and in the beginning of the game.
Exploration is now slightly more interesting if you are missing major resources.
It becomes especially obvious on smaller galaxies where resources are really scarce.
Trading is now very useful, and can be a life saver, plus your local luxuries won't be enough to satisfy all your planets.
Mining rate technologies are a must-have quite early if you don't want all your stocks to be in the red.
You can finally cut your enemies freighter lines or blockade them and see real results on their developments.

A side-effect to this change, which was not intended at first, is the lower number of freighter ships generated by the private sector, leading to two other advantages:
- Less income from the private sector (making the game slightly harder)
- More FPS in the late game (less ships to compute)
dudefan

Post by dudefan »

thank you for the insight. i was hoping to see a change in that area
GHerr

Post by GHerr »

wow. that's actually really nice.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”