Is it now possible to colonize in other empires territory?

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

100thMonkey

Is it now possible to colonize in other empires territory?

Post by 100thMonkey »

Fairly new game, as Ackdarians (v1.0.8.6, started with v1.0.8.4). In "New Colonies", there's an entry for a potential colony (Grauyivad) in the Myrcr system, which is in another empire territory (the Great Myrcr Nation). In fact, it's their capital system. The colonize button isn't greyed out:

Colonize button active.png
Colonize button active.png (174.89 KiB) Viewed 498 times

I don't have any special treaty with them. There's also a small button looking like their flag, If I put the mouse cursor above it, I get the following tooltip:

Small button.png
Small button.png (17.14 KiB) Viewed 498 times

I don't remember ever seeing anything like that (being able to colonize in another empire territory). Granted, I didn't colonize much in my previous DW2 games (I mostly played as the Boskaras, so expansion through invasions, not colonization).

Is this something new? Is this a bug?
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
TinyFrog

Re: Is it now possible to colonize in other empires territory?

Post by TinyFrog »

Huh, I never noticed that in my games. I think I would have noticed because I check new colonizable planets fairly often (as I don't trust the AI to do the colonization). I haven't got a clue what caused this. :idea:
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

If you are at war with an empire you can colonize within their borders.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

arvcran2 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:52 pm If you are at war with an empire you can colonize within their borders.
yep. sadly, a definite reason to go to war - I want your unused colonies!
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

I wasn't at war with them. But I think I've identified why I was able to colonize in one of their system: because I already had a colony in there!

Early in the game, I had colonize an independent colony in their capital's system. I acquired many colonies after that, a lot was going on in the game, and there was no visible indication on the galaxy map that I had a colony there... So I kind of forgot about it (not brilliant, I know :oops:).

If it is indeed the reason, it's still somewhat surprising. That, even with one of my colonies in there, I'm able to add new colonies at the heart of their empire. Not sure it works as intended.

mordachai wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:16 pm yep. sadly, a definite reason to go to war - I want your unused colonies!
Why "sadly"? It kind of make sense to me: if you're able to invade one of their colony already full of citizens, being able to create a new one from scratch doesn't seem far fetched. In wars throughout history, it was, and still is, pretty much "anything goes". Not saying that's something the human race should be proud of. But that's how it went throughout history. So why a game that includes war as one of its mechanics shouldn't allow to create new colonies (settlements) in other factions' territories?

Of course, if I can do it but the AI can't, then it becomes a game balance problem. I've never seen the AI create a new colony in my territory, even while at war. But I've never been able to do it either before this. So I don't know whether the AI could do it or not. If anyone knows, please enlighten us...
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

I was speaking in the "all war is sad" -- not a crit of this game at all!

Hell - war is a welcome aspect of the GAME :D

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”