Colonisation trumps Invasion WAD?

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Evil Steve

Colonisation trumps Invasion WAD?

Post by Evil Steve »

It's happened to me a couple of times, where my invasion of an independent suddenly results in the independent going to an AI empire and the disappearance of my invading force, though with the reputation damage for invading intact.

It appears, on closer inspection, if a coloniser starts to colonise a planet under invasion and completes that task prior to the completion of the invasion, then the colonising action 'wipes out' the invasion? Is this WAD?
arvcran2

Re: Colonisation trumps Invasion WAD?

Post by arvcran2 »

Do you have an expected behavior for this?
Evil Steve

Post by Evil Steve »

i would probably expect the colony ship not to be able to colonise during an invasion or to fail the colonisation attempt.
Nightskies

Post by Nightskies »

Its a pretty niche situation. Personally, either way makes sense: a hostile force for one empire comes in, and at almost the same time, another empire comes in with 50 million of people and enough equipment to build a city. Both begin operations. Either the hostile force overwhelms the natives and claims the capital and declare the colony as theirs first, or the peaceful colonizers establish themselves and claim it.

Its all a matter of who solidifies a legitimate claim first.

I think the soldiers going missing in the event that they lose the race is the best, though still unsavory, answer. I think it would be worse if they were to remain and continue to assault the new defenders under the winning empire's banner. It might make sense for them to be removed from the colony to the transport ships IF they're still in orbit, but I think that'd be a generous contingency for such a brazen act. A colony ship is far more pricey than a handful of soldiers.
maggiecow

Post by maggiecow »

Nightskies wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 pm A colony ship is far more pricey than a handful of soldiers.
Not in time, pain and micro-management it isn't. Disagree with everything else you said as well, assuming you were being serious.

An independent colony could have anywhere from 300 million to a billion population, maybe a little less. If the attacking troops can handle that they can tell a colony ship with 30 million settlers to take a hike.

This is clearly a bug.

I wonder does blockading stop colony ships.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”