Why Ship Design AI prefer inferior tech??

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Bernkastel

Why Ship Design AI prefer inferior tech??

Post by Bernkastel »

The picture above is my latest battleship design.

I got super tech, Stellar Armor, long ago. Decades later, I completed research Absorbing Armor.

My ship design AI retrofit Stellar Armor to Absorbing Armor. Why they do that??
It is so certain that Stellar Armor, which is the super tech, is better than Absorbing Armor, which is a normal tech.

I don't understand. They just retrofit the design without considering which one is better. They just retrofit whatever it is recently researched.
bjfagan

Re: Why Ship Design AI prefer inferior tech??

Post by bjfagan »

This has always bugged me too. Every time I upgrade a ship I have to keep going back through the weapons systems changing everything back to the way I had it before. My preferred systems may be a bit older but are usually better imo than the newer system the AI plops back in. Can there at least be an option to turn this feature off? I can easily change my weapons to newer versions instead of constantly changing back after the AI does work.

Also, I noticed in the listing of available ship component systems in the upper window the menu shows the Version number with the name, however, in the lower window of installed components it does not show the current installed version number. Is it possible to show the version number in both windows?
TinyFrog

Post by TinyFrog »

"Can there at least be an option to turn this feature off?"
Click "SHIP CONSTRUCTION" and then "Ship Designs".
Set "Role Upgrade" to Manual for those ships you want to manually upgrade.
Remember to upgrade the ship when you research a new equipment that you want to use. Use the "Upgrade button" to obsolete the old ship type and start using the new type.

Please note that a version 2 of something is auto-upgraded immediately on existing ships. Think of version 2 as a "software upgrade" immediately distributed.

I WANT to design all my battle ships and stations. And I have begun to design most Civilian ships to make the cheaper to produce and sometimes more effective. Eg; Freighters should NOT have a weapon - instead they should have more Cargo pods.
StormingKiwi

Post by StormingKiwi »

TinyFrog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:46 pm "Can there at least be an option to turn this feature off?"
Click "SHIP CONSTRUCTION" and then "Ship Designs".
Set "Role Upgrade" to Manual for those ships you want to manually upgrade.
Remember to upgrade the ship when you research a new equipment that you want to use. Use the "Upgrade button" to obsolete the old ship type and start using the new type.

Please note that a version 2 of something is auto-upgraded immediately on existing ships. Think of version 2 as a "software upgrade" immediately distributed.

I WANT to design all my battle ships and stations. And I have begun to design most Civilian ships to make the cheaper to produce and sometimes more effective. Eg; Freighters should NOT have a weapon - instead they should have more Cargo pods.
That's the issue - even with role upgrade set to manual, if you click upgrade, then it will replace components with whatever component the game considers to be the best of that component type. Sometimes, these upgrades are wholly inappropriate.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”