Artifacts questions

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

100thMonkey

Artifacts questions

Post by 100thMonkey »

First time I pay any attention to artifacts. And it's not clear to me how they work. I don't see anything about them in the Galactopedia. In-game, the tooltip that shows when the mouse is on one puts emphasis on how to move them, suggesting that their bonuses are local. But in the manual, the sole paragraph about them ends with a sentence saying that they can even provide "a bonus of some kind for your entire empire".

All the tooltips for the artifacts present in my current game have the mention "Bonuses To Owner", like this one:

Harp of Karidas.png
Harp of Karidas.png (194.81 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Which I find ambiguous. Does "Bonus To Owner" mean a bonus to the empire that owns it, or to the colony, station or base where it's located? Or can it mean both? Even the bonuses themselves in the above example are ambiguous, as to whether they're local or empire-wide. For instance, "+10% Scenery" suggest to me a local bonus. But "+5% War Weariness Reduction" seems to be empire-wide. Yet, they're all in the category "Bonuses To Owner".

Would I be right in assuming that some artifacts have one or more local effects, some have one or more empire-wide effects, and some can have both types?
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”