Ambassador bonuses

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

zebanovich

Ambassador bonuses

Post by zebanovich »

Do the ambassador bonuses apply to yourself if stationed on your home planet? or do they apply only if ambassador is stationed on an alien world?

For example if ambassador has +4 to espionage and +2 to counter espionage:
- do these bonuses apply only toward specific race if stationed on alien world?
- do these bonuses apply to all alien races if it's stationed at your home planet?
Handbanana

Re: Ambassador bonuses

Post by Handbanana »

bump
----------------------
New to DW.
Radamanthe

Post by Radamanthe »

In general, most bonuses I see in this game suffer from a serious lack of description. Nothing in the manual (believe me, I've read it all, only planet defenses in troop combat window stuff are explained in this regard, even though it's still a bit obscure sometimes), nothing more in the Galactopedia, no popup when you hover over them, simply nothing. Just guess.

When you're a rigorous person, it's quite frustrating. Then you search, you experiment... and you still don't know, you're still not sure enough, and when there is almost no doubt about their exact meaning and scope, numbers to not match, there, somewhere in the UI.

Whatever. I like some spice of mystery in games, but not for numbers. Hazard is a game thing, god it is (PRNG), but mystery is not a math thing.

Many games suffer from it, but usually it's only for a few bonuses. In DW2, this is almost all of them, because there are many ways to interpret their application, and several circumstances.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Radamanthe wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:20 pm In general, most bonuses I see in this game suffer from a serious lack of description. Nothing in the manual (believe me, I've read it all, only planet defenses in troop combat window stuff are explained in this regard, even though it's still a bit obscure sometimes), nothing more in the Galactopedia, no popup when you hover over them, simply nothing. Just guess.

When you're a rigorous person, it's quite frustrating. Then you search, you experiment... and you still don't know, you're still not sure enough, and when there is almost no doubt about their exact meaning and scope, numbers to not match, there, somewhere in the UI.

Whatever. I like some spice of mystery in games, but not for numbers. Hazard is a game thing, god it is (PRNG), but mystery is not a math thing.

Many games suffer from it, but usually it's only for a few bonuses. In DW2, this is almost all of them, because there are many ways to interpret their application, and several circumstances.
In science even time elapse is skewed at different locations of gravity. It may be explained by math but not many would understand it nor the notation standard in order to convey it, poster included. There are a lot of bonuses that need to be qualified, sure.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

zebanovich wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:58 pm Do the ambassador bonuses apply to yourself if stationed on your home planet? or do they apply only if ambassador is stationed on an alien world?
The ambassador gives full bonuses when stationed at another faction's capital, but it only applies to that faction. The ambassador can give a much smaller bonus when stationed at your own capital.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Radamanthe wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:20 pm In general, most bonuses I see in this game suffer from a serious lack of description. Nothing in the manual (believe me, I've read it all, only planet defenses in troop combat window stuff are explained in this regard, even though it's still a bit obscure sometimes), nothing more in the Galactopedia, no popup when you hover over them, simply nothing. Just guess.
Which bonuses are the most frustrating for you in terms of the name of the bonus not making it clear what the bonus does?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

zebanovich wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:58 pm Do the ambassador bonuses apply to yourself if stationed on your home planet? or do they apply only if ambassador is stationed on an alien world?

For example if ambassador has +4 to espionage and +2 to counter espionage:
- do these bonuses apply only toward specific race if stationed on alien world?
- do these bonuses apply to all alien races if it's stationed at your home planet?
Is this the correct question? I mean an ambassador representing an empire's values is not there to represent race but the ideals of an empire. As long as they truly buy into the empire's reputation visa-vis their ideals. The effectiveness of seeing past the races is of another matter.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Erik Rutins wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:06 pm ...

Which bonuses are the most frustrating for you in terms of the name of the bonus not making it clear what the bonus does?
It may not be frustrating to me, but the espionage factors seem to be vague as to which empire they are supposed to be applied to, but you are saying it is a question of the actual faction(s) involved.

Some DW2 aspects are left to the implicit and not explicit implementation?
StormingKiwi

Post by StormingKiwi »

Erik Rutins wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:06 pm
I think this is besides the point and asking for the offenders on a case by case basis is unmanageable for all involved.
There should be a popup tooltip over every bonus in the UI. This isn't about a particular bonus. It is about every bonus.

The other area of possible improvement is breaking down where numbers come when you hover over them
E.g. 30% for countermeasures on a ship design - what numbers make this up?
E.g. corruption on a colony
zebanovich

Post by zebanovich »

Erik Rutins wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:05 pm
The ambassador gives full bonuses when stationed at another faction's capital, but it only applies to that faction. The ambassador can give a much smaller bonus when stationed at your own capital.
Thank you Erik, I understand that if ambassador is stationed on home planet then it also gives bonuses but much smaller than if stationed outside empire, can you say how much are bonuses smaller if stationed on home planet?

For example if +4 espionage, +2 counter espionage ambassador is on home planet, what exact bonuses do I get here?
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

These sort of answers should be in the pedia.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”