Ressource capacities on colonies

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Nade

Ressource capacities on colonies

Post by Nade »

I noticed that some resources are at the capacity limit on my colony. Now i can not figure out what seems to be increasing or lowering that cap. I loaded up some older save files and all i get is that the capacity seems to go up over time despite that my upgraded space station in orbit has actually less cargo space in later designs.

Blowing up my own station had the effect of roughly cutting my caslon supply in half and removing all of the cap limits on all resources except the ones that were mined on the planet itself.

It seems at least in my very very early game that most of my resources are actually stored in the mining stations themself. So i either beef them up or make my space stations hold a lot of cargo and make sure they never poof.

Questions:

How much storage is there on a naked colony to dump stuff and can that be expanded upon?

Is there anyway of knowing which resources are stored in the station and which in the colony?
Jorgen_CAB

Re: Ressource capacities on colonies

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

The station and colony basically share the resource, when you have a station it basically decide the cap on the resource based on the cargo storage it contains.

The reason you see it go up over time is that your technology increase the amount of resources the cargo can hold per cargo hold.

Not sure how much your colony can hold, also not sure if the amount of population will impact it either.

But the important thing is cargo space on the station, this is key to the amount of stored resources.

Having good storage on mines can also be important, this also increase the throughput of resources as more ships can load their storage full when the come and get it, some stations will not get freighters that often so storing up large amount of resources can be a good thing.

You also might want to store more on colonies in key areas. Make sure that worlds in important logistical hubs can store more resources than your fringe worlds... you don't want too much resources stored there but rather more centrally located, this will be more effective overall.

I use many different station types based on the colony importance and location. Some are just very small supply stations with little to no defences and weapons, so to keep them cheap, Some are more heavily armed but still small in cargo space and docking stations... etc...
A standard outpost station is just the smallest station with a few cargo holds and a construction yard plus some defences and maybe one or two weapons, no more. It is suppose to just give the colony the basic storage and possibility to build some ships.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”