Suggestion - Message Filters

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

OrnluWolfjarl

Suggestion - Message Filters

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

We need more filters for messages. The way messages are currently categorized is even worse than DW1. The categories are too broad and if you want to block a certain annoying pop-up, you will probably also block at least 1 useful pop-up.

For example, let's review the exploration category:

1) There are hidden items in this planet. We need to explore it further to uncover them: This is a useless and annoying pop-up. If a planet has a hidden resource at Exploration level 60, and I'm only at 15, then I will receive this message 45 more times every 2 minutes. And it's not like there's anything I can really do usually. I'm just waiting for the planet's population or its mining station to uncover the resource.

2) We have detected a bonus of +X% in Scenery/Research/Something at this planet: This is a useful message because I'll want to prioritize building a station/colony at that planet usually to take advantage of the bonus. Especially if it's a Research bonus.

The problem is, if I want to filter out number 1, I also have to filter out number 2.

An example of a downgrade from DW1 is the Under Attack category. I can no longer filter out attack alerts against my civilian ships from random space creatures. If I do, I'm going to lose alerts to attacks against my stations and military ships by pirates or enemies.

Each message should ideally have its own unique type, and thus its own filter.

This would solve almost all issues regarding messages, and it'd be a far better solution than the filters or the "Supress pop-ups" option in the Game Settings.
rxnnxs

Re: Suggestion - Message Filters

Post by rxnnxs »

The forum could need a rating system, or is there one but I do not see it?
Anyway, this is:
+1
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

We need these options from DW1:
2022-08-09_103459.jpg
2022-08-09_103459.jpg (144.71 KiB) Viewed 704 times
OrnluWolfjarl

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

WiZz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:36 am We need these options from DW1
That's what I was thinking but way more expanded. The DW1 options were still a bit restrictive. I think the best message filter was found in EU4, which is exactly what I'm proposing. Each message had its own tag, and you were able to filter messages that appeared that way, as well as specify the nations you were interested in.
20220809173811_1.jpg
20220809173811_1.jpg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Notice that each category has its own extensive list of filters and you can specify whether you want those filters to appear as a pop-up or just in the log.
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

+10 for the EU4 message filters. If DW2 adopted even a portion of this it would be a huge improvement.
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

+1
rxnnxs wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:14 pm The forum could need a rating system, or is there one but I do not see it?
[...]
+1
EU4: + ;)
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

OrnluWolfjarl wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:43 pm
WiZz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:36 am We need these options from DW1
That's what I was thinking but way more expanded. The DW1 options were still a bit restrictive. I think the best message filter was found in EU4,..
Yes, please this!
Please, take your time and implement such a filter system.
Also implement a search option, just like Europa Universalis 4 had.
And please, implement a search function in:
- research and
- Galactopedia also

And while we are it: a search function that looks for everything/object in game.
If it is a leader or a ship or a planet.
Like in Polaris sector or Star Ruler 2.

Sorry, this is maybe too much - but not for the long run!

But sure, the filter would be a nice start.
While being very big as a list, it helps very much for keeping the universe filtered just as serving every ones needs.
Attachments
star ruler 2.jpg
star ruler 2.jpg (200.37 KiB) Viewed 641 times
polaris sector.jpg
polaris sector.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 641 times
maggiecow

Post by maggiecow »

+1

And separate info-only vs actionable notification areas.
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

If I remember correctly, even in DW:U message spam was still a problem. Maybe it was improved compared to pre-universe DW, and maybe it was better than what we currently have, but I'm not sure I'd want to back to it either. I'd like a better system than what we have, and also a better one that what DW:U had.

I've never played EU4, but from what I see in this thread, it seems like an interesting messaging system.

But I believe that the current system, with enough additions and modifications could work well. Many improvements have already been suggested, and I'm sure there will be more. Hopefully the best ones will be implemented. The sooner, the better. But if the current system is to be kept, at the minimum, we should have, as apparently is the case in EU4, a separate list of filters for the messages and for the logs (one for each).

And as maggiecow suggested, a separate info-only vs actionable messages would also be nice.

Finally: +1000 for a search function. Everywhere! Galactopedia, galaxy map, control center, tech tree, message log! I know the dev team is small (design by Erik and Elliot and code by Elliot?), but the ability to search in a game of DW's scale (1 or 2) is a must, and, in my opinion, should have been a priority for DW2...

...But one has to admit that having to look manually through all known systems in a 1000 systems galaxy to locate a planet referred to in a message has its charm, doesn't it? :mrgreen:
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”