Exploration overlay reactivate with any click on map: Please fix this!!!

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

100thMonkey

Exploration overlay reactivate with any click on map: Please fix this!!!

Post by 100thMonkey »

I've already requested to get rid of the auto-activation of the exploration map overlay (see: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 0#p4996330).

But what is even more annoying is that if I manually deactivate the overlay (by clicking on the "Exploration: Auto-Enabled" button in the "Zoom Presets and Camera View" panel), as soon as I click anywhere on the map, it reactivates! :evil:

WHY? I just deactivated it a second ago! Why reactivate it as soon as I click on the map?

Is it some sort of a secret psychological experiment to see if it could be used as a psychological torture technique by the CIA?

Please, fix this! I'm sure Elliot has a lot on his plate, but that should be pretty simple to fix: no reactivation of the exploration overlay if it was manually deactivated.
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
rxnnxs

Re: Exploration overlay reactivate with any click on map: Please fix this!!!

Post by rxnnxs »

It would be easier and better for all, to implement an extra button like shown in the picture.
extraButton.jpg
extraButton.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 280 times
There you could switch the overlay for the exploration TAB to the left.
It should not circumfere with the explore button to the lower right.

of course the state of the button is saved.

if exploration tab is opened, the button here overrides the function from the lower right.
if closed, the lower right button is on or off.
this way, we still can use the button to the lower right to switch it fast on and off.
If there would be another option, there would then be no toggle option possible.
I would love to have a shortkey to toggle this overlay.
I would love to have many more shortcuts..
100thMonkey

Re: Exploration overlay reactivate with any click on map: Please fix this!!!

Post by 100thMonkey »

I'm all for an extra button in the control center. But I'd probably prefer for the 2 buttons to be synchronized. So if you click on any of the 2 buttons, the other is instantly set at the same "position" (overlay "shown" or "not shown"). And yes, the buttons' state should be saved with the game.

But if your idea of 2 different "states" for the 2 buttons would be implemented, I'd still be happy with it.

What's important to me is that there would be a way to not have the exploration overlay visible, unless I want it, and only then. And that if I'd close it, it doesn't reactivate unless I want it too.

To me, the way it works right now, it's as if you'd tell a ship to go in one direction, and it would start to go in that direction, but after a short while it would turn and then go in the opposite direction. And it would do that every time!

I tell the game that I don't want the overlay. I click on the map, and BAM! The game reactivates the overlay! Why then put that button there if it's not "respected"?

That could probably serve as a textbook example of bad UX design.
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”