Scott's Guide to DW2 available to download (version 3.0 - Aurora Update))

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

mavor

Re: Scott's Guide to DW2 available to download (version 2.3)

Post by mavor »

What's the reason for setting exploration "Send Survey Team when" to "Always" instead of "Hidden Items Present Or Colonizable Or Populated"?

Won't bodies with nothing on them waste time when surveyed?

Might the not-always setting miss stuff because an initial scan doesn't unveil hidden items?
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

mavor wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm What's the reason for setting exploration "Send Survey Team when" to "Always" instead of "Hidden Items Present Or Colonizable Or Populated"?

Might the not-always setting miss stuff because an initial scan doesn't unveil hidden items?
I can't image they would offer a setting that is worse if you pick always (i.e. there is no advantage to it). But I haven't given it much thought to be honest (I don't think I've ever missed anything in my play thrus - for example - I memorized the human story line and I've never missed an event with this set to Always.
mavor

Post by mavor »

Scott2933 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:13 pm
mavor wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm What's the reason for setting exploration "Send Survey Team when" to "Always" instead of "Hidden Items Present Or Colonizable Or Populated"?

I can't image they would offer a setting that is worse if you pick always (i.e. there is no advantage to it). But I haven't given it much thought to be honest (I don't think I've ever missed anything in my play thrus - for example - I memorized the human story line and I've never missed an event with this set to Always.
You must've misunderstood me.
I guessed that the "Always" setting will find everything, but will waste time surveying bodies that have nothing on them.
I also guessed that "Hidden Items Present Or Colonizable Or Populated" will find everything, but without wasting time surveying bodies that have nothing on them.
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

mavor wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:01 pm
Scott2933 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:13 pm

You must've misunderstood me.
I guessed that the "Always" setting will find everything, but will waste time surveying bodies that have nothing on them.
I also guessed that "Hidden Items Present Or Colonizable Or Populated" will find everything, but without wasting time surveying bodies that have nothing on them.
'

Yup - got that. I'm just saying they wouldn't make it work that way intentionally - waste time for that setting. But I admit I'm not sure what else it might find on that setting.
actrade

Post by actrade »

How does one get to Battlefield Sabotage research?
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

actrade wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:39 am How does one get to Battlefield Sabotage research?
It will show up after you research 2 lower level troop techs are discovered(improved defense, improved assault)
actrade

Post by actrade »

Did that...didn't show up.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Awesome guide!

Just wanted to note that missiles are worse against armor due to shield bypass, no?

Super appreciated!!!
btd64

Post by btd64 »

actrade wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:25 am Did that...didn't show up.
Do you have research set to random....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
actrade

Post by actrade »

Perhaps. How does one check once your game is underway?
btd64

Post by btd64 »

You can't. Try starting a new game and see what happens with the setting not on random....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

mordachai wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:01 pm Awesome guide!

Just wanted to note that missiles are worse against armor due to shield bypass, no?

Super appreciated!!!
You're welcome!

No - shield bypass means they are worse against shields - by 25%. For example - if you have a 16 damage missile - 12 will hit the shield, and 4 will pass through to the armor. But because armor has a "reactive rating" - most of the time none of the bypass damage does anything. So in the end, IMHO, it's not good to have a positive bypass. Negative bypass values works the same EXCEPT no damage goes through (you just lose 25% damage). Which frankly - works out to be the same early/mid game (the weapon needs to have a LOT of damage rating for positive shield bypass % to be of any real use.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

D'oh! I obviously only skimmed your guide - and your response leaves me confused! lol - I played a lot of DW:U but playing DW2 I'm realizing that there's a ton I never really dug into - certainly nothing about the shield / armor bypass and how they actually work d'oh! :)

Thanks again - will read more carefully now :P
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

mordachai wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:33 am D'oh! I obviously only skimmed your guide - and your response leaves me confused! lol - I played a lot of DW:U but playing DW2 I'm realizing that there's a ton I never really dug into - certainly nothing about the shield / armor bypass and how they actually work d'oh! :)

No problem. Just to clarify - if you have a large damage weapon (like 24 or 30 damage) the shield bypass WILL damage some armor. Small and medium size weapons (early/mid game) struggle to do much however.
dougo33

Post by dougo33 »

This is a great guide with nice explanations of the basics. It helped me through my first couple of test playthroughs, giving me a grasp of the basics. Thank you for all your work on this and the fact you keep updating it with new info is outstanding.
Emperor0Akim

Post by Emperor0Akim »

Scott2933 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:15 pm
mordachai wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:33 am D'oh! I obviously only skimmed your guide - and your response leaves me confused! lol - I played a lot of DW:U but playing DW2 I'm realizing that there's a ton I never really dug into - certainly nothing about the shield / armor bypass and how they actually work d'oh! :)

No problem. Just to clarify - if you have a large damage weapon (like 24 or 30 damage) the shield bypass WILL damage some armor. Small and medium size weapons (early/mid game) struggle to do much however.
That's one of the reasons that in my oppinion the DPS Value has no place in a Game like DW2
Constant DW2 Wishlist :
Sort build locations by Solar System
Cycle Idle Ships
ETA for Ships and Fleets
Messages for finished Ship Missions
Messages for Character Promotion ( Skills / Traits )
Cyclopsslayerr

Re: Scott's Guide to DW2 available to download (version 2.4)

Post by Cyclopsslayerr »

Thank you for keeping this excellent guide up to date!
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

Cyclopsslayerr wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:50 pm Thank you for keeping this excellent guide up to date!
You're very welcome!
Here's a sneak preview of some charts for the next version:
Torpedo  v Armor Damage.jpg
Torpedo v Armor Damage.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1252 times
Cyclopsslayerr

Post by Cyclopsslayerr »

Exactly what I have been talking about in your YT comments. You might guess who I am lol
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

Cyclopsslayerr wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:58 pm Exactly what I have been talking about in your YT comments. You might guess who I am lol
Yup - good questions so I thought some charts like these would be useful. Putting them in the next video!

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”