Scott's Guide to DW2 available to download (version 3.0 - Aurora Update))

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Scott2933

Scott's Guide to DW2 available to download (version 3.0 - Aurora Update))

Post by Scott2933 »

Check out my YouTube channel Scott's Space.jpg
Check out my YouTube channel Scott's Space.jpg (205.64 KiB) Viewed 42362 times
Welcome to Scott's DW2 Guide!

This guide contains:
- Beginners Walk-thru including setting up automations and Game parameters. Walks you through the early game through leaving your initial system.
- Strategies for Early/Mid game
- Charts and Tables - Over 30 detailed, informative tables and charts covering most aspects of the game
- Detailed explanations of the user interface, combat, weapons and defenses, designing your own ships, the economy, and research.
- Links to Videos that go into more depth for various sections of the guide.
- It's FREE!

I hope you enjoy it and find it helpful. I am sure there are some typos, etc. but I've tried to be as accurate as possible. Without a doubt there will be some unintentional inaccuracies - especially as versions update after launch. I'll try to keep it updated and fix any inaccuracies pointed out to me (feedback always welcome).

Finally special thanks to Omena and BTAxis from the beta forum who were kind enough to check for mistakes, make suggestions, and offer ideas. Couldn't have done it without them.

Cheers,

- Scott2933 -

Changelog
Updated to V3.0 Aurora Update. New section on managing multiple hulls. Updated charts and tables.
Updated to V2.9 Fleet and Ship tactics FINALLY finished and updated due to major game update v 1.0.4.4. Also added Colony Terraforming and suitability improvement section.
Updated to V2.8 Fleet v Ship Tactics Settings completely redone (to match new game version 1.0.4.1). Fixed minor error on Fleet Select screen chart.
Updated to V2.7 Numerous corrections/updates to sensors and damage/to hit, Major update to Fleet/Ship tactics sections plus other minor corrections. New ship chart for Ackdarians added.
Updated to V2.6 Updated the Ship hull chart including a minor correction, added a new section on Sensors, Scanners, and Stealth.
Updated to V2.5 Combat now 100% accurate (final mistake fixed). Added 3 NEW charts: Hull Stats comparisons, and 2 Damage v shields/armor/charts. Some general clean up.
Updated to V2.4 MORE combat section corrections. NEW chart: General Components in the Design Screen, expanded combat section, NEW chart on PD.
Updated to V2.3 Corrected and expanded combat section including new PD chart, PD to hit calculations, fixed errors in Planetary resources chart.
Updated to V2.2 New Combat/weapons comparison section/chart (to match new video), New Research Bonus category chart, general improvements.
Updated to V2.1 New Planet Chart showing resources, bonuses, etc. by planet type AND a new PD Weapon comparison chart.
Updated to V1.91 The new race v. planet type colonization modifiers chart was an old version by mistake. Fixed. Apologies for any confusion.
Updated to V1.9 Corrected a mistake (thanks Erik) and added 3 new cool charts (troop types/stats, race v assimilation, and race v planet type colonization modifiers)
Updated to V1.8 Added 2 new charts, better explanation about tactics, and more typos squashed.
Updated to V1.7 Added a section on Invasions. Fixed even more typos.
Updated to V1.6 Much improved Economy flow chart (completely redone), tons of typos fixed.
Updated to V1.4 (mostly typos, fixed a page reference, and I added corruption to the economy chart)

NEW VIDEO AVAILABLE 3/28/23! : Game Mechanics Episode 5: Custom ship design updated for Aurora

Video 1: Sensors and Stealth - all about how they work and what is best for your ships
Video 2: Does size matter?
Video 3: Point Defense REDUX. I take a second look - with more testing - on PD weapons v. missiles and fighters.
Video 4: Weapons and how combat calculations works. I compare weapon classes and explain what components in designs affect combat.
Video 5: Point Defenses compared. We test 5 different Point Defense weapons in battle! See which one comes out on top!
Video 6: How to make custom ship designs! Extends the guide's explanation of ship design with beginner and intermediate tips.
Video 7: Play attempt on super difficult here. A lot of the guide topics are presented in-game.
Video 8: Shields, Armor, and Hull Damage - how weapons affect each in combat
Video 9: [/b]: A new UX design proposal

Downloads before last version change: 25,169
Scotts DW2 guide V3.0.pdf
(5.19 MiB) Downloaded 6031 times
Last edited by Scott2933 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:35 am, edited 70 times in total.
LordMM

Re: Scott's Guide to DW2 available for download

Post by LordMM »

Nice, this is great work.
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
Wizzy09

Post by Wizzy09 »

This is beautiful. Thank you!
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

A thousand thank yous.
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

Excellent :idea:
Thank you
Buio

Post by Buio »

Thanks, this helps understanding things when starting.
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

Buio wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:10 pm Thanks, this helps understanding things when starting.
Thanks all for the kind words. Updated to V1.5. Should be good for a bit.
washtana

Post by washtana »

This is very well done and will be extremely helpful for new players.
ShawnP

Post by ShawnP »

Thanks Scott for all the time and effort you put into this. As a fairly inexperienced player, it will undoubtedly help me get more enjoyment out of DW2 - I'll try to remember to name a ship class after you! :)
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ShawnP wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:27 pm Thanks Scott for all the time and effort you put into this. As a fairly inexperienced player, it will undoubtedly help me get more enjoyment out of DW2 - I'll try to remember to name a ship class after you! :)
Now that's an appropriate DW2 thank you. 8-)
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

ShawnP wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:27 pm Thanks Scott for all the time and effort you put into this. As a fairly inexperienced player, it will undoubtedly help me get more enjoyment out of DW2 - I'll try to remember to name a ship class after you! :)
I'm honored!! Just happy to see people enjoying this great game! Thanks for the kind words.

S
loki100

Post by loki100 »

This is great thank you. Really like the tone and the way you clearly fit your suggestions to a particular playstyle ...chapeaux
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

As a fellow Scott, I fully approve of this :)
crazyiro

Post by crazyiro »

This is an amazing guide, read the whole document Thursday afternoon and night, called in sick to have myself and extra day :lol: :lol: and play through the weekend
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Now that's dedication :lol:...GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
jfpOne23

Post by jfpOne23 »

An amazingly well done guide.

I have over 3000 hours in Stellaris, and 250+ games in my library. DW2 stumped me for 2 hours before I exited and went to find YT Vids -- and happily stumbled on this great PDF.

I mention my previous experience gaming, because I have rarely been unable to figure out the basics of most games straight away. I could not do ALMOST ANYTHING in the DW2 UI except sit at my screen slackjawed thinking "WTF is going on here" as I rt clicked, lft clicked my way around in befuddled amazment.

When I exited, I saw that the "Exit to Desktop" button was at the TOP of the menu. When the phuck was the last time you saw it so placed? I thought it had to be a cruel psych test by the devs (after all), and had a good chuckle.

Now I KNOW this is going to be a great gaming experience eventually, and thanks to your guide, I can dive right in. You should make a vid my friend.

Cheers~~~
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Thank you for this wonderful guide.
Buio

Post by Buio »

It's a great guide. I found a minor detail. At page 9 automatation settings, there isn't a text explaining "Intelligence missions". As I understand, it is the spies and what missions they do.
xepooqu80

Post by xepooqu80 »

Excellent guide!
Thank you for taking the time!
xepooqu80

Post by xepooqu80 »

Excellent guide!
Thank you for taking the time!

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”