DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here!

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

mainebears

Re: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here!

Post by mainebears »

going to ask a question here and on DW2 question section on Discord:

It looks like currently passenger ships move people from other nations for migration treaties but don't move population from your high population plants to newly colonized or captured planets ? Is this going to be changed I seem to recollect that DW1 moved population between planets ?

Also do you need to colonize newly captured planets to add your citizens to that planet if is one of the preferred planet types for you race ?

A related question if you want to depopulate a enemy planet - atomic devastators work well at destroying military and infrastructure and to lesser degree population but damage the planet quality. One Atomic Devastator seems to be on the default ship designs for Cruiser and Battleships and presumably Dreadnoughts. Some advanced abandoned destroyers seem to include them. (you can fix planet quality damage with terraforming by the way - expensive though )

(Mass Drivers are especially good at destroying the planet quality and infrastructure as well as military and civilian population). Maybe the best weapon to "glass" enemy planets you don't want anyone including yourself to reuse.
Is there any reputation damage for like using mass drivers ?

Other extreme appears to be neutron eliminator which are best at destroying military and civilian populations while do least infrastructure and planet quality damage. This would seem best approach if you have a difficult to assimilate enemy race like Bokarsa on a planet you want to depopulate and reuse the existing Infrastructure to recolonize with your race ?
Last edited by mainebears on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamuraiProgrmmr

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

I have seen passenger ships moving population to newly formed colonies. In the cases where I saw it, there was a clear reason the population wanted to move. The way I set it up was to have a much lower tax rate on the planets to which I wanted migration.

I haven't played in a few weeks so it may be that this behavior has changed and perhaps others can elaborate.
Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

When I inadvertently replaced the Basic Command Center with Commerce Center instead of Command Center the designer was ok with it. Turned out you need no Command Center for any (available) design.
Then I found this
iancmtaylor wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:58 pm [...]
Removed command center, [...]
So my Q is, is this the intended behaviour? Have I just misunderstood the need for a bridge on a star ship or star base :? Are all those movies just fake :?: What would the Federation be without Kirk or Sisko :shock: Featuring Scotty and O'Brian :P
haegint

Post by haegint »

Thineboot wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:29 pm So my Q is...
It is my understanding that having a Command Center provides certain benefits/improvements. It's not only there for the bling.
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

haegint wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:44 pm
It is my understanding that having a Command Center provides certain benefits/improvements. It's not only there for the bling.
... which is obvious, you just have to look at the stats.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: is it the intended behaviour, that you can build everything WITHOUT a Command Center?
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Thineboot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:44 pm
haegint wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:44 pm
... which is obvious, you just have to look at the stats.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: is it the intended behaviour, that you can build everything WITHOUT a Command Center?
They will still have a bridge or other place to command form.
It just lacks all the good Command and Control Equipment for the Bonuses of the Command Center Component.
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

zgrssd wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:20 am
Thineboot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:44 pm [...] is it the intended behaviour, that you can build everything WITHOUT a Command Center?
It just lacks all the good Command and Control Equipment for the Bonuses of the Command Center Component.
So you're saying it's always been that way, and therefore you know it's the intended behavior?

Because there is at least one recommendation for all necessary parts or parts with positive effects, except for the command center. Which seems a bit strange, since it is included in every auto-build design. This raised the question of intended behaviour in the first place.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Thineboot wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:50 pm
zgrssd wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:20 am
Thineboot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:44 pm [...] is it the intended behaviour, that you can build everything WITHOUT a Command Center?
So you're saying it's always been that way, and therefore you know it's the intended behavior?

Because there is at least one recommendation for all necessary parts or parts with positive effects, except for the command center. Which seems a bit strange, since it is included in every auto-build design. This raised the question of intended behaviour in the first place.
And it is apparently intended behavior that you can leave the Command Center out.

Should there be a recommendation to install one? Probably.
haegint

Post by haegint »

Is it a good and viable idea to colonize a planet that is in a Nebula?

I colonized a good 35 suitability planet in a good location BUT it is inside a relatively small (Ion) Nebula. At least ships do not need to travel "forever" in the nebula to get there. However, I now doubt it was a good idea after all. The private economy provides almost no supplies, it seems. Or should I just wait because the PE will get to it eventually? Really would like to know from veteran players if they colonize in nebulae - or just don't. Appreciate any comments, thanks!
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

haegint wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:59 am Is it a good and viable idea to colonize a planet that is in a Nebula?

I colonized a good 35 suitability planet in a good location BUT it is inside a relatively small (Ion) Nebula. At least ships do not need to travel "forever" in the nebula to get there. However, I now doubt it was a good idea after all. The private economy provides almost no supplies, it seems. Or should I just wait because the PE will get to it eventually? Really would like to know from veteran players if they colonize in nebulae - or just don't. Appreciate any comments, thanks!
The Auto designer is notoriously bad at installing enough Ion Protection to survive Ion and Gravitic nebula. It never seems to use the armor and might never have enough room for the Shielding Component in smaller hulls. Make sure that is not a issue with your freighters.

Of course, there is also the additional slowdown of the Nebula itself. Prior to 1.0.4.8, Max Colonisation distance checked the whole way, so that way you could get a idea if the planet is too far.
haegint

Post by haegint »

zgrssd wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:51 am The Auto designer is notoriously bad...
Alright, thanks. I'll check into to the Freighter designs but if they indeed do not have the Ion Shield on them, then I will not bother with that colony any longer and will relocate the population. I'm not going to manage civilian designs manually, just too much micro for my taste.

The auto designer did however put ion shields into the design of the colonisation ship. I checked that before sending the ship and indeed it arrived there without any loss of strength. Also max. distance was not a problem, as the colony was relatively close to another colony of mine.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

haegint wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:29 pm
zgrssd wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:51 am The Auto designer is notoriously bad...
Alright, thanks. I'll check into to the Freighter designs but if they indeed do not have the Ion Shield on them, then I will not bother with that colony any longer and will relocate the population. I'm not going to manage civilian designs manually, just too much micro for my taste.

The auto designer did however put ion shields into the design of the colonisation ship. I checked that before sending the ship and indeed it arrived there without any loss of strength. Also max. distance was not a problem, as the colony was relatively close to another colony of mine.
Which Ship does and doesn't get I-Protection varies. Like a lot.

But generally, larger hulls have less to no issues with that. So if you are still on small freighters, consider just upgrading them to a bigger size.
haegint

Post by haegint »

zgrssd wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 pm Which Ship does and doesn't get I-Protection varies. Like a lot.

But generally, larger hulls have less to no issues with that. So if you are still on small freighters, consider just upgrading them to a bigger size.
I checked it earlier in-game. Small Freighters actually have Ion Shield and Medium Freighters as well. Mining Ships do not and Passenger Ships/transports neither. So at least the freighters got it which is probably the most important. I'll see how it goes... I still feel this colony is not developping as quickly or as well as it should.

This is a game with version 1.0.4.9 playing as Human.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

haegint wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:22 pm
zgrssd wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 pm Which Ship does and doesn't get I-Protection varies. Like a lot.

I checked it earlier in-game. Small Freighters actually have Ion Shield and Medium Freighters as well. Mining Ships do not and Passenger Ships/transports neither. So at least the freighters got it which is probably the most important. I'll see how it goes... I still feel this colony is not developping as quickly or as well as it should.

This is a game with version 1.0.4.9 playing as Human.
If passenger ships can not reach, then there will be no immigration. So the colony is stuck at however little population you put there with the Colonyship, plus natural growth.
Wenla

Post by Wenla »

When lookin a galaxy map there is (bottom, middle) a view where you can see your colonies, stations and navies. Now it covers already about 1/3 of my current galaxy map most of the time.

Is there any setting to get rid of this part of view?

Adv. thanks

Wenla
Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Wenla wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:28 pm When lookin a galaxy map there is (bottom, middle) a view where you can see your colonies, stations and navies. Now it covers already about 1/3 of my current galaxy map most of the time.

Is there any setting to get rid of this part of view?

Adv. thanks

Wenla
It would be kewl to be able to collapse that UI at galaxy level.

The only way I know how to turn it off is by turning all UI off - so not particularly useful.
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

Resort Base needs Cargo Storage - what am I missing here? Since no one seems to have asked that question before, am I just blind to see the obvious? It can't be luggage, can it?
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

Thineboot wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:42 pm Resort Base needs Cargo Storage - what am I missing here? Since no one seems to have asked that question before, am I just blind to see the obvious? It can't be luggage, can it?
I would venture food for the guests and the employees, what's required to keep the installation going (tools, parts, etc.). That kind of stuff...
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

100thMonkey wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:34 am
Thineboot wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:42 pm Resort Base needs Cargo Storage - what am I missing here? Since no one seems to have asked that question before, am I just blind to see the obvious? It can't be luggage, can it?
I would venture food for the guests and the employees, what's required to keep the installation going (tools, parts, etc.). That kind of stuff...
All true in a fully fleshed out distant world, which it isn't. Especially when there are Passenger Compartments, which work, in my simple mined imagination, as jack of all trades for passengers the same way as Command Centers, Crew Systems, and Troop Compartments function for their respectively users. Research Labs don't show it graphically, but I'd argue that Research Stations don't require never-used Cargo Bays either. But than there are Defensive and Monitoring Station, which also require Cargo Bays.

Eventually it's just the idea that a station has to have a Cargo Bay because it's a Station, and not moving millions of frozen bodies through the vast space aboard Colony Ships bigger than Space Stations, which doesn't need any tools, parts, etc. to keep the installation for 80M people in cryostasis going ;)
Just a thought, but in the end it a station has to have a Cargo Bay, where else could you play hide and seek or find a hidden place to lit up a joint in a tight environment with limited oxygen ;)
Skobelev

Post by Skobelev »

Is there a way to use game editor to create those events/places to unlock super techs? In more advanced galaxy (player starting with pre-warp) those seem to be never found and the AI doesn't seem to be in any hurry to develop those if it has unlocked them.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”