DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here!

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Scotias

Re: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here!

Post by Scotias »

zgrssd wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:26 pm
raven1891 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:19 pm Hi, i have some questions
1. how resort bases work? I have +6 scenery planet in my starting system. I built resort base there and it works (some income and tourist ships). Later in my game i built more resort bases at better places (+7, +9 scenery, etc) but i never saw tourist ships there. Have 10+ colonies and all tourists fly across empire to my first resort base! Its not even nearest res.base.

2. Defence pact. I have def pact with my neighbor. And some empire declare war on them and nothing happens. Im not in war. I must declare war on agressor manualy? Or it works only if AI attacks me?

PS Sorry for my english
1. Tourists stationsa are currently bugged. They all go to one. And it is not even the one with the highest number usually.

2. I think the AI has to decide to call you to war?
If it thinks it can win, it might not do so.
Seems that tourism is still bugged - I tried scrapping all the mediocre resort bases first, I guess now I'll just scrap them all since all the tourists go to the one place currently.

Thought it might be worth bumping this one for anyone else who didn't know lol, save some pennies.

Thanks to guys able to answer questions :idea:
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

What math am I missing?

Tooltips won't help either, they just add the info that these numbers are per year.

On top should be the summary:
+1 - 2 = -1 works out for me :)
-2.0 + 1.5 = +1.0 not so much :roll:

I could add a whole bunch of speculations what may have gone wrong with these numbers but I'd expect some of you early beta testers may know the answer...
Attachments
image_2022-04-21_150811227.png
image_2022-04-21_150811227.png (62.97 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

Same independent, just 2 months later...

While left column could be based on applying different rounding rules, the right column is off the charts...
Attachments
image_2022-04-21_170351465.png
image_2022-04-21_170351465.png (62.69 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Bagpipe

Post by Bagpipe »

100thMonkey wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:51 pm
zgrssd wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:57 pm 1. You already had the resource in your selection.
Why would you add a filter that could only hide it?

2. The Lower right Bar has a resouce view. Try that one.
1. The screenshot with the resource selected is from the "Resources" tab (in the "Resources" section of the control center). The one with the filter is from the "New Mining Locations" tab. I wanted to see the possible new mining locations for the resource, so I switched to the "New Mining Locations" tab. Once switched to that tab, the selection is lost (it doesn't carry from one tab to another). And whether there's a filter or not, resources with "0 of X sources" are NOT shown in the "New Mining Locations". The filter was used for clarity, to get rid of the data noise (the new mining locations for resources that I wasn't interested to look at).

2. The resources flow button in the zoom and camera view panel does not show known resources that are in other empires territory. What I'd like to see is ALL the already discovered sources of a resource (or all resources), including those in other empires' territories. And I'm not talking about whether there's a mining station or not for those sources. Just where are ALL the already discovered sources.
1. It is not shown under "new mining locations" because there is not a possibility of placing a new mining location because another empire owns this location. "0 of X" means that your empire has 0 mining facilities at X known locations. X is not possible locations, just locations which are currently in the galaxy. If not shown in NEW MINING LOCATIONS then you have to go and destroy what is preventing it being a NEW MINING LOCATION.

2.If you want to see ALL of the discovered resource areas for a resource then you use the resources tab and click on the resource. If you click once it will highlight all the systems you know of which contain this including enemy locations (if known). If you click a second time then resource flow overlay is activated for this resource.

I can't explain any other way and others have already tried to explain this, you just don't seem to be grasping it fully to be completely honest. :cry: :roll: No offence meant btw. Let me know if i can be any further help with this but i am sure it will click eventually :)
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Thineboot wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:22 pm What math am I missing?

Tooltips won't help either, they just add the info that these numbers are per year.

I could add a whole bunch of speculations what may have gone wrong with these numbers but I'd expect some of you early beta testers may know the answer...
Left is the current value. Right is the current direction of the value.
"Apreciate your Unique Culture" is going down by 2 per year (towards 0)
"We are troubled by your strange alien ways" is improoving by +1.5 (unclear target.
Thineboot wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:07 pm Same independent, just 2 months later...

While left column could be based on applying different rounding rules, the right column is off the charts...
"Appreciate your Uniue culture" has decayed past the point where the rounding flips over to displaying 0. It is not actually 0 - yet. But it is 0.9 at best and still going down. In 4 months it should be gone.

"We are troubled by your strange alien ways" actually started worsening.
Likely something change the target from "better then -2", to "worse then -2".
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

zgrssd wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:14 pm
Thineboot wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:22 pm What math am I missing?

Left is the current value. Right is the current direction of the value.
"Apreciate your Unique Culture" is going down by 2 per year (towards 0)
"We are troubled by your strange alien ways" is improoving by +1.5 (unclear target.
Thineboot wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:07 pm Same independent, just 2 months later...

"Appreciate your Uniue culture" has decayed past the point where the rounding flips over to displaying 0. It is not actually 0 - yet. But it is 0.9 at best and still going down. In 4 months it should be gone.

"We are troubled by your strange alien ways" actually started worsening.
Likely something change the target from "better then -2", to "worse then -2".
Thanks for explaining me that left are the current values and on the right side are upcoming changes, I'd never have guessed that. Seriously, you're typing the text that is shown, and the numbers. But the numbers don't add up:
The overall tendency is +1.0/year and the values that add up are -2.0/year +1.5/year and there is no rounding that could make this equation work.
Left side is rounded to zero digits. In roughly two months this would have been 1 -2.0/12*2 = 0.67 or 1 -2.0/12*3 = 0.5 and that could have made a 1 to a 0, rounded. So that part works out, as said before.

But neither -2.0 +1.5 = +1.0 or -2.0 -1.1 = -5.0 makes sense. While you could argue that the first one just hit the unclear target and thus it wouldn't be -2.0 in the first place, what argument could you offer to make any sense out of two values going down, combined -3.1, let's add a rounding error and make it -3.2 and -5.0? Even when you'd suggest that -5.0 is just a wrongful display of a rounded down -4.01 that doesn't make it -3.2. Ok, if you say -5.0 is in fact -4.01 you could argue that -2.0 is in fact -2.99 and -4.01 > -2.99 -1.1 = -4.09 would just be an awful display of rounded numbers.
Since you're arguing that the -2.0/year should be gone in 4 months, that -2.99 doesn't hold up either. And you're guess is correct, there is no clear target shown, the target is 0, as can be seen in the next image: once it hit 0 the line was gone and -2.0/year vanished. -1.1 was reduced to -0.7 until the target -3 was hit at which point it turned into 0 or no trend.
-5.0, the sum of all trends combined, got even worse until there was no trend at all.

So no, there is no way to make sense of the combined trend other than it's not the actual trend but a number combined of basic values that are not taking into account the actual values. In other words this number is absolute pointless, or bugged.
Attachments
image_2022-04-22_183532191.png
image_2022-04-22_183532191.png (49.97 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
FlashXx

Post by FlashXx »

Tried posting a thread asking about this but no responses, just found this one.

Is there a way to change a race's native planet type? It could be done in DW:U. A small change in the race files, along with a couple tweaks in research was all it really took in that game. All I'm finding so far on my own in DW2 is the suitability modifiers.
inf666

Post by inf666 »

How does resource distribution work? If I build many spaceports with construction yards all over my territory, are the resources moved there when I build a ship or before that?

Related to above, is it a good idea to centralize ship building (starports with construction yards) in systems close together (if not just one system)?

Thanks!
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

Bagpipe wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:52 pm 2.If you want to see ALL of the discovered resource areas for a resource then you use the resources tab and click on the resource. If you click once it will highlight all the systems you know of which contain this including enemy locations (if known). If you click a second time then resource flow overlay is activated for this resource.

I can't explain any other way and others have already tried to explain this, you just don't seem to be grasping it fully to be completely honest. :cry: :roll: No offence meant btw. Let me know if i can be any further help with this but i am sure it will click eventually :)
It finally clicked! :idea:

I'm pretty sure I know why I wasn't seeing it (don't worry, I won't bother you with the details :oops: ). But you're right: clicking on a resource in the resources tab in the control center resources section does show the known sources for it on the galaxy map. Which is what I wanted to see.

So thanks for your patience and perseverance in "making me see the light" .

I'd still prefer though to have something like a "Known Resources" tab, in which it would be possible to filter for a given resource, and then to simply double-click on one of the instance in the list to immediately get to that planet. Instead of, as it is now, having to click on the system, zoom at the system level, and then locate the planet with the resource. (I'll post a suggestion in the forum about it).

But at least, now I can see the systems where the resources are. Once again: thanks.
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
jcrabbit

Post by jcrabbit »

Hi, I started a new game yesterday and ran into an indie faction of own race. After giving them a gift, they indicated they are willing to be colonized. I researched basic colonization and sent a basic colony ship to them.

The problem is, this faction was really far away. It would take dozens of years in game for my colony ship to get there. I think I must've learned about them through an "unknown system map" deal from a pirate. How do I get an estimate of the time it takes for a ship to get from point A to point B?
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

inf666 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:40 am How does resource distribution work? If I build many spaceports with construction yards all over my territory, are the resources moved there when I build a ship or before that?

Related to above, is it a good idea to centralize ship building (starports with construction yards) in systems close together (if not just one system)?

Thanks!
In DW2, all resource must be present before construciton is started. Tis was done to avoid locked up Constructors and Yards.

A Spaceprot should change the resouce storage targets. I am not sure how it does it, but it does seem to target enough that the planet can usually produce what I want - given enough freighters.
Bagpipe

Post by Bagpipe »

100thMonkey wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:51 pm
Bagpipe wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:52 pm 2.If you want to see ALL of the discovered resource areas for a resource then you use the resources tab and click on the resource. If you click once it will highlight all the systems you know of which contain this including enemy locations (if known). If you click a second time then resource flow overlay is activated for this resource.

It finally clicked! :idea:

I'm pretty sure I know why I wasn't seeing it (don't worry, I won't bother you with the details :oops: ). But you're right: clicking on a resource in the resources tab in the control center resources section does show the known sources for it on the galaxy map. Which is what I wanted to see.

So thanks for your patience and perseverance in "making me see the light" .

I'd still prefer though to have something like a "Known Resources" tab, in which it would be possible to filter for a given resource, and then to simply double-click on one of the instance in the list to immediately get to that planet. Instead of, as it is now, having to click on the system, zoom at the system level, and then locate the planet with the resource. (I'll post a suggestion in the forum about it).

But at least, now I can see the systems where the resources are. Once again: thanks.
So happy to hear that dude!

And yeah, i like your suggestion also, would be much more streamlined than current :D
Neurobed

Post by Neurobed »

Planets by type?

Simple question: among all the explored planets is there a way to filter out those of a certain type? How can you know how many / which volcanic or gas giant planets have been explored?

thank you
-N-
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Neurobed wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:58 am Planets by type?

Simple question: among all the explored planets is there a way to filter out those of a certain type? How can you know how many / which volcanic or gas giant planets have been explored?

thank you
-N-
The filter in colonizeable planets allows you to select type, among many other things.

Why does the exploraiton ratio mater? You either have colonizeable planets, or you do not.
If it was a Victory condition - and that condition works - it would be tracked on the Victory screen.
Neurobed

Post by Neurobed »

zgrssd wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:49 pm

thank you
-N-
The filter in colonizeable planets allows you to select type, among many other things.

Why does the exploraiton ratio mater? You either have colonizeable planets, or you do not.
If it was a Victory condition - and that condition works - it would be tracked on the Victory screen.

thank you
-N-

sure, but to do that I have to have the colonization technologies already developed and the filter applies only to colonizable planets; at the moment it seems that there is no way to know how many <some_kind_of_planet> I've explored; what kind of planetary technology to develop if I don't know which and how many planets of a certain type have I already discovered? My memory is not so good, maybe I have a pair of marshy or were they desertic? Already in DW:U I felt the lack of such a filter, in DW2 even more since the different technologies for colonization start from the same level. In any case it seems unrealistic to me not to have a filterable list by "x" of the explored planets.

Thank's
-N-
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Neurobed wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:48 pm

thank you
-N-

thank you
-N-

sure, but to do that I have to have the colonization technologies already developed and the filter applies only to colonizable planets; at the moment it seems that there is no way to know how many <some_kind_of_planet> I've explored; what kind of planetary technology to develop if I don't know which and how many planets of a certain type have I already discovered? My memory is not so good, maybe I have a pair of marshy or were they desertic? Already in DW:U I felt the lack of such a filter, in DW2 even more since the different technologies for colonization start from the same level. In any case it seems unrealistic to me not to have a filterable list by "x" of the explored planets.

Thank's
-N-
You need at least 20 Suitabiliy for living well.

You can get +10 Suitability Max from Colonisation Technology. If the Planet is boosted from 0 to 10, that would still be a shitty planet to live on.
If hte planet was -9 or -10 before techs, then it is still a shitty place to live in.
If it is not on the list without the techs, it is still crappy with the techs.

Terrraforming can get you higher. But you need to colonize the planet first to use it. At which point every colonizeable planet is okay.
Iam5not8

Post by Iam5not8 »

Is there any way to force a fleet to jump on a given destination without refueling somewhere ? (ofc in the range)
I would like the fleet to take the green way, not the red one, and refuel half-way at Dirra

Refuel.jpg
Refuel.jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
SamuraiProgrmmr

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

1) you can manually tell them to refuel there and then issue the order to go.

2) if attacking, you can issue 'prepare and attack' and they will refuel if the program thinks it is necessary.

Hope this helps
Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
Iam5not8

Post by Iam5not8 »

SamuraiProgrmmr wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:53 pm 1) you can manually tell them to refuel there and then issue the order to go.

2) if attacking, you can issue 'prepare and attack' and they will refuel if the program thinks it is necessary.

Hope this helps
Thanks for taking the time to answer

I found that if you send the fleet to a coordinate by the planet or object you want to reach, the fleet goes straight to that point.
I have the feeling that the pathing to a given object is broken.
Scotias

Post by Scotias »

Playing my first game as Boskara here. Wondering if it's worth enslaving my opponents worlds or should I just assimilate them ( or exterminate :evil: )?

Appreciate any responses, before I jump in later and find out the hard way haha. Cheers.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”