Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Secretcode

RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase

Post by Secretcode »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: Secretcode
Definitely needs to live play it lol I feel bad for him because he has to rush with the paste of the video speed, but it's packed full of info so much goodness.

I'll try live-playing in the future, but we were trying to pack as much as we could into an hour, boy that went by quickly!

awesome!

I'm wondering if pilots who destroy a certain amount of ships or aliens move up and ranks, I can't remember if this was already in, but can someone become a vet or evolve in ranks?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Here's the recorded stream link for those who may have missed it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/888875863
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Here's the recorded stream link for those who may have missed it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/888875863

Thanks Erik...... signed up for the beta and looking forward to testing this game.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Well I signed up for Beta ... but really not sure if it went through ... strange login issue with a popup login ... can log into matrix forums via that page but not the pop-up ... I did get a thank you for signing up screen.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (4053MB VRAM, 8136MB Shared Memory)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (integrated GPU)
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: arvcran2

Well I signed up for Beta ... but really not sure if it went through ... strange login issue with a popup login ... can log into matrix forums via that page but not the pop-up ... I did get a thank you for signing up screen.

Check your email... if your application went through you should have an email confirming the application was received. If the popup you are talking about was where you entered the username and password again, I had that too....... just ignored it as I ws already logged in.
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

While the proof is in the pudding (once we can finally play), this reveal ticked all the boxes for me that are reasonable to expect/know at this point:
- Faster engine, faster SAVE times
- Better graphics, much better visuals during combat
- Same core gameplay with quality of life tweaks
- UI improvements throughout, looks much more intuitive to navigate, nice graphical map pings as one navigates the UI - these can add so much to "immersion" which is limited impact on gameplay but makes spending time in the game more pleasurable
- Semi random research is a trend in 4X over the past decade (before Stellaris I believe) which I think is a great move as a OPTION - I prefer it, but dislike seeing the complaints elsewhere when its forced (e.g. Stellaris, Shadow Empire)
- Multiplayer as a possible expansion feature is probably the perfect balance - it isn't a priority for me, but I do recognize it helps foster the community, longevity, funding, etc
- Better modding sounds promising

Eager to learn more:
- About any changes in the story features - not details of the story, but how it is presented and affects gameplay, and if that is more moddable too
- Modding details
- Diplomacy and spying changes, if any
- Fleeting management UI
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Roger that! Got the email!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (4053MB VRAM, 8136MB Shared Memory)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (integrated GPU)
Latisrof

Post by Latisrof »

Hey man, where do you sign up for the beta?
"The goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces!" - Fritz Josef Bittenfeld
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Latisrof

Hey man, where do you sign up for the beta?

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4949114
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

DELETE
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
It looks almost like DW1 with UI rework and better ship design. The strategic game from what I see is the same.

It's certainly true that it should feel familiar to DW1 fans. With that said, there are a ton of changes especially in the details that are hard to bring out but that make a pretty big difference. We'll show more as time goes on.

Nice stream and lots of info. This looks like a proper sequel in that it keeps everything that made the original great and refining it further. Battles look slower paced and smaller like in sins of a solar empire. Is the combat mechanic going to change from fleet blobs blobbing it up or into a more tactical type battle to maximize the use of all the shiny new techs so positioning and ship loadout count? Would be a shame if it turned into the same method as in dwu in throwing as big a blob of ships at your enemy as possible of the strongest ships possible and brute force your way to victory.

Also is there going to be more involved planet management? Nothing super involved but being able to min/max a planet with an expanded list of structures would be nice. It could be much the same as the old system but put in a slot limit to what you can build and force a choice of what structures you can build instead of just spamming them all over time. To save time in a large empire you could have a custom build order the AI can use to shape your planets based on size and type etc. One last question. Is DW2 going to follow the same format as before and have regular large feature expansions? Plus if the combat is fleshed out well enough I can see several major mod teams jumping over with the usual bag of franchises.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

33% new, 33% improved, 33% as expected (i.e. from the original). I think this was stated by Sid Meir as the formula for a good Civ sequel.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
Nice stream and lots of info. This looks like a proper sequel in that it keeps everything that made the original great and refining it further. Battles look slower paced and smaller like in sins of a solar empire.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.
Is the combat mechanic going to change from fleet blobs blobbing it up or into a more tactical type battle to maximize the use of all the shiny new techs so positioning and ship loadout count? Would be a shame if it turned into the same method as in dwu in throwing as big a blob of ships at your enemy as possible of the strongest ships possible and brute force your way to victory.

So far, I think we've succeeded in making combat more interesting and tactical vs. DW1. Obviously having a stronger fleet with the better admiral will always matter a great deal, but there are many other choices involved along the way and I've certainly been able to influence combats I'm watching by slowing things down and making some key tactical choices as well with manually controlled ships.
Also is there going to be more involved planet management? Nothing super involved but being able to min/max a planet with an expanded list of structures would be nice.

The tech tree is bigger and there are more facility choices as well. The largest change is in more defensive facilities and government control/anti-corruption facilities, but I believe in total there are about 2.5x the facilities we had in DW1 and facilities can now have multiple levels for upgradeability as well.

Facility building can also be automated or manually controlled.
Is DW2 going to follow the same format as before and have regular large feature expansions? Plus if the combat is fleshed out well enough I can see several major mod teams jumping over with the usual bag of franchises.

To early to to discuss expansion plans in detail, but I expect a mix of playable faction additions and major expansions, most likely.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

For those interested, here's the Ackdarian Ship Identification Sheet we showed in the stream:

Attachments
Dw2_ACK.jpg
Dw2_ACK.jpg (420.94 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Worth noting that currently, Defensive Bases and Small Space Ports share a model. Research, Resort and Monitoring Stations share a model. This is not hard-coded, just what our model sets were designed for at release. Starfighter and various Drone models are not shown here.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

So far, I think we've succeeded in making combat more interesting and tactical vs. DW1. Obviously having a stronger fleet with the better admiral will always matter a great deal, but there are many other choices involved along the way and I've certainly been able to influence combats I'm watching by slowing things down and making some key tactical choices as well with manually controlled ships.

Excellent. So tactical lite. This is what I most hoped for because I enjoy a good tactical fight as a counterpoint to the strategic empire play but still want to be able to field large fleets of doom once my empire can support them. This sound like it will make early fleet battles more involved but the late game will still revolve around who can send in the biggest hammer to the enemy homeworld.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

Looks like a lot more scrolling for the research tree now x_x
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
jesuswhywhy

Post by jesuswhywhy »

watching the 1:35hr reveal video now, watched the akdorian trailer

game of my dreams :) ticking all my boxes
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

Am I crazy or do the planets no longer orbit their stars?

edit: Just got to it being commented on in the video. Really sad about that tbh. It was a big part of what help me with the living galaxy feel.

I understand the trade off with ships now docking in ports and things but still super sad!

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”