Work on mac with parallels?

Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm is a grand tactical wargame set at the height of the Cold War, with the action centered on the year 1989.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

coachi

Work on mac with parallels?

Post by coachi »

Want to buy it. But only if it works
CapnDarwin

Re: Work on mac with parallels?

Post by CapnDarwin »

Someone who has a Mac will have to speak to this. The development team is a Windows only group.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
bob1131

Post by bob1131 »

got the program today. Installed the program and update (not beta) on a 14" Mac Pro M2 in a parallels virtual machine with a ton of ram. it runs and loads the basic tutorial but did play hence cannot comment on the playability etc.

BTW the game drops core after attempting to load after the launcher (and loading directly without the launcher) on my main machine, an AMD thread ripper, coming up with a nice Delphi crash report screen reporting a race condition on the main thread.

go figure.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Bob, what are your specs/OS on the AMD machine? Can you post a screenshot of the crash report tabs? Thanks.

bob1131

Post by bob1131 »

enclosed is the FC Bug Report, and screenshots of the error dialog tabs.

My system os is windows 10 22H2; chip is amd 3970X with minor (amd auto) overclocking, with 256 gb ram.

program dumps from all builds & steam version. Program process dumps with or without launch launch program.
Attachments
FCBugReport.txt
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Screenshot 2023-05-16 191256.png
Screenshot 2023-05-16 191256.png (49.9 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Screenshot 2023-05-16 191326.png
Screenshot 2023-05-16 191326.png (29.8 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

This is a known problem with our third-party multi-threading library. I thought we had addressed it already but apparently not. We don't have the hardware ourselves to test this, but we can look again to see what we can do.

Thanks for reporting this! Rob C
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

bob1131 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:22 pm My system os is windows 10 22H2; chip is amd 3970X with minor (amd auto) overclocking, with 256 gb ram.
Nice system!

The problem should only occur for a 64+ core configuration. While we look for a newer/alternative threading library, you can work around the problem by disabling hyper-threading, dropping you to 32 real cores.
(I definitely understand when that's not a viable work-around for you; you don't buy a 32/64 core 256GB system by accident).
William
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Bob1131 - I prepared a test build of the game for you to try and see if this resolves this issue. Please check your private messages for the link. We think it will work but lack the hardware at this end to test it for sure.

Thanks, Rob C
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Bob gave my test build a try and all looks good in the sense that the game is now running for him. I will make the changes I did for that build a permanent change to the build going forward.

We want the game to run on as many pc variations as possible, even absolute beasts!

Regards, Rob C
bob1131

Post by bob1131 »

Just want to send thanks re build. Ran thru several tutorial scenarios (re probably not pushing the game since I am a poor player) and had zero issues.

also want to respond re mac. Currently running the program on a 16" mac M1 in Parallels in full screen (not unity mode) and ran into zero issues other than the ui a little but measurable bit slower in response. Parallels cpu at 6 cores and memory @ 32 gb. again, ran through several simple tutorials so I have not really pushed it. (i run thru scenarios multiple times to try different things, hoping not to get clobbered by the ai :D

Note when installing, the program will install .net and some vs c++ dlls. The OS will install the arm versions, not the x86 versions in the install package. this seems to work fine. Just in case this statement is confusing, only the arm version of windows 11 will work on parallels for the m1 or m2 Mac.

[edit] added photo of Mac with the red 1 campaign start.
Attachments
IMG_5128 2.jpg
IMG_5128 2.jpg (7.07 MiB) Viewed 893 times
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Good news that the special build worked. I'll make sure Rob knows.

barniewhittle

Post by barniewhittle »

Hi there.. has the Mac silicon workaround been published yet? I have the same issue, can't get Southern Storm to work on a new Mac Studio M2. Was using bootcamp on my old MacBook but now having to use Parallels. This is the only war game I have that doesn't work on the new machine. Thanks..
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Barnie, the only thing to do is see if Bob's info below helps you out setup to run on a Mac as we do not support non-windows OSs.

Note when installing, the program will install .net and some vs c++ dlls. The OS will install the arm versions, not the x86 versions in the install package. this seems to work fine. Just in case this statement is confusing, only the arm version of windows 11 will work on parallels for the m1 or m2 Mac.

Orffen

Post by Orffen »

I wanted to drop by and add a note that I'm playing FCSS fine with Crossover on a MacBook Air M2. There is a small bug with menus that means you have to mouse over them for the text to appear, but that's only a small issue. I didn't need to install any additional software into the bottle - worked with the bundled .NET and C++ Redistributable installers.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thank you for letting us know that it is working for you.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm”