Does changing a unit's role change its behavior?

Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm is a grand tactical wargame set at the height of the Cold War, with the action centered on the year 1989.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

WABAC

Does changing a unit's role change its behavior?

Post by WABAC »

The example that usually occurs to me is to set some tanks to over watch maneuvering units. Does this change anything?

Some forces have tanks in recon units. Does changing their roles have any impact?
cbelva

Re: Does changing a unit's role change its behavior?

Post by cbelva »

I want to say it does, but I'm going to have to leave this for one of the programmers to answer. I know that we found it very hard to code and to get the behavior to work the way we wanted it to. I don't think it worked to the degree we wanted it to. When maneuvering, we wanted line/main units up front with overwatch units behind them and support units like HQ hanging further back. We have found this very hard to get right. Its main purpose was to keep units like HQ and AA units from leading the attack. I see better behavior in that regards, but there are times I still see the occasional support unit leading the attack.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
22sec

Post by 22sec »

WABAC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:02 pm The example that usually occurs to me is to set some tanks to over watch maneuvering units. Does this change anything?

Some forces have tanks in recon units. Does changing their roles have any impact?
Yes, but if I am remembering correctly it is only when you issue group type movement orders.

Also if you design a scenario, you can change the roles, such as a tank as recon unit, and if the AI is controlling that side when they issue orders to its groups those units will behave according to their role you set.
Flashpoint Campaigns Contributor
https://twitter.com/22sec2
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

22sec wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:29 pm
WABAC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:02 pm The example that usually occurs to me is to set some tanks to over watch maneuvering units. Does this change anything?

Yes, but if I am remembering correctly it is only when you issue group type movement orders.

Also if you design a scenario, you can change the roles, such as a tank as recon unit, and if the AI is controlling that side when they issue orders to its groups those units will behave according to their role you set.
That is a valid point. Thanks for clarifying.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

Thanks for the answers. All the SOP comments got me to wondering.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm”