Where is 1/35 Armor?!

Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm is a grand tactical wargame set at the height of the Cold War, with the action centered on the year 1989.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

76mm

Where is 1/35 Armor?!

Post by 76mm »

I've been waiting for this game, because I served with 1/35 Armor (2nd Bde, 1st AD) from 1988-1991. I see a couple of scenarios with 2nd Bde, but they only seem to include 2/70 and 2/6. Probably not realistic to expect every armored battalion to be included, but I am curious how/why the devs chose those particular units/sectors. I was good friends with several of the 2/70 guys--any of you out there? I should also mention that the whole time I was there, my tank platoon was cross-attached to a mech company from 2/6 for our forward deployments, which I don't think is reflected in the game; I forget exactly where we were deployed, but it was near Flossenburg concentration camp.

No big deal, just curious.
WABAC

Re: Where is 1/35 Armor?!

Post by WABAC »

There is a document titled Battlefield Survey under Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm\Modules\FCSS\Documents.

Check it out to see if any of your deployment/exercise areas are included in the list of maps. You might be half-way to designing a new scenario. :)

Speaking as a civilian that enjoys history, it's hard to find accounts online about VII Corps units, deployments, etc. V Corps gets all the ink.
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

I googled the camp. You guys were right up against the Czech border if the camp was the nearest landmark. One major E/W road about 10KM south. One minor road about 5KM north. Interesting location for sure.

Anyway, no current FCSS maps of that area.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Yeah, I looked at the map survey; I was definitely further south than any of the battles in the game, but I don't remember where the rest of my battalion was (again, I was attached to 2/6 Inf). And my sector was near Flossenburg, but not right on top of it; we drove a bit out of our way to visit it during one training exercise...I'm guessing that we were near one of the bigger roads, although at this point I don't remember exactly.

At the time, of course we had 1/50k maps with our battle specific battle positions, but I certainly don't have those any more (IIRC those maps were classified and we only had access to them during training at the border), and all of the German town names all kind of blend together at this point.
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

Time passes to darn fast. I have that t-shirt too. ;)

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm”