New Forum Tips and Issues

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

arvcran2

Re: New Forum Tips and Issues

Post by arvcran2 »

arvcran2 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 am Catching up on reading a forum, have set posts to ascending date order. The trouble is on my cell phone browser there is no return to forum link, wanting to see the forum page at the previous/next thread. Is this possible?

Any suggestions?
I'd like to elaborate on this question I have regarding facilitating reading a forum.

Does anyone know if the forum software allows returning to the next unread post's forum page? My PC browser has a 'return to forum' link at the bottom of the last post on a page, but it returns to page 1!

If there is no such reading a forum facilitator, is it possible to enable specifying what page to jump to? The Jump to enables navigating to other forums (1st page).

matrix-forum-page navigator.png
matrix-forum-page navigator.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 8611 times

It would be helpful at least to be able to specify a page# to navigate to, if navigating to the next unread post is not available.
springel

Post by springel »

Because of these sticky old posts, I read this forum by opening threads or subforums in a new tab, then I close the tab and I return to the tab from where I started at the same position. In practice I open up all threads that interest me all at once, each in its own tab (hold CTRL while clicking).
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

arvcran2 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 am Catching up on reading a forum, have set posts to ascending date order. The trouble is on my cell phone browser there is no return to forum link, wanting to see the forum page at the previous/next thread. Is this possible?

Any suggestions?
Try opening the thread in a new tab. But a return to the forum link would be useful.
Attachments
the future is reduced for quick sale.jpg
the future is reduced for quick sale.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 8503 times
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Both are good ideas, and helpful, thanks folks!

A navigate to a specific page could also be very useful.

As it is now you have to select two pages either way to get to the one you want - *sigh*.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

arvcran2 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:12 pm Both are good ideas, and helpful, thanks folks!

A navigate to a specific page could also be very useful.

As it is now you have to select two pages either way to get to the one you want - *sigh*.
At the bottom of the page on the right side is a series of page numbers you can click on to go to a different page of the same thread. Unfortunately it takes you to the top of that page when often you want to read the preceding posts to your current page: i.e. the bottom of the previous page. Small PITA most of the time.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
zebanovich

Post by zebanovich »

Is it possible to automatically subscribe to topic to which you replied to?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

zebanovich wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:59 pm Is it possible to automatically subscribe to topic to which you replied to?
In your User Control Panel you can set your notification preferences for the forums and threads (topics) you want to follow, but I don't see a way to be notified about a particular user replying to your post.
You can also name Friends and Foes that you would like to be notified about, or not, when they post.

I just visit the Forum a couple of times a day and scan the topics for which ones I want to keep up with.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
zebanovich

Post by zebanovich »

BBfanboy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:38 pm
zebanovich wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:59 pm Is it possible to automatically subscribe to topic to which you replied to?
In your User Control Panel you can set your notification preferences for the forums and threads (topics) you want to follow, but I don't see a way to be notified about a particular user replying to your post.
You can also name Friends and Foes that you would like to be notified about, or not, when they post.

I just visit the Forum a couple of times a day and scan the topics for which ones I want to keep up with.
I have "Someone replies to a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed" checked but still I don't get notification if someones replies to thread, I only get notification if I'm quoted.

for example if you reply to this topic without quoting me I won't get notification.
is this solvable?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I don't know. Have you checked the box to allow other users access to your e-mail address? Matrix has that so they can notify you of things they deem important, but you might need to allow other users for their replies to be notified to you.
Jo van der Pluym

Post by Jo van der Pluym »

As of yesterday Saturday October 15 01:00 am I suddenly no longer receive email notifications.
Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

It's better to be a Fool on this Crazy World
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Jo van der Pluym wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:32 am As of yesterday Saturday October 15 01:00 am I suddenly no longer receive email notifications.
Is that Crazy 'clock wise', the 'counter' version, or the un-wise ... been a while since seeing Shultz!:
funnycrazyfun.png
funnycrazyfun.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 7908 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

nscrutable wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:10 pm 3. I can't attach .se1 files to posts. Is this an intentional restriction?
If you zip them up, it should work fine.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

I really like the forum software while missing the 'nostalgia' of the old one ... are folks hiding online more than usual I wonder.

If anyone actually knows, although I have my own theories, what does the following stats tell you?
CuriousStats.png
CuriousStats.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
jowzia

Post by jowzia »

Finally I can see it now. I don't know why I didn't see him until now.

TweakBox Tutuapp
Last edited by jowzia on Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhyden

An Easy way to post images

Post by jhyden »

Here's a place where you can post images without having to create an account. Just upload and then get the link (i just right click the newly posted image and open in a new tab for the image's new address).

https://postimages.org/

Convenient and fast. thanks for reading.

-best wishes to all
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Any chance of hiding that big announcements block that takes up half the screen real estate in every forum? Or at least keep it to the main page?
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Plodder wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:59 am Any chance of hiding that big announcements block that takes up half the screen real estate in every forum? Or at least keep it to the main page?
Yeah, That is a problem. Removing it could bring more posts to the front page. A real QOL improvement....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
flibby

Post by flibby »

btd64 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:16 pm
Plodder wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:59 am Any chance of hiding that big announcements block that takes up half the screen real estate in every forum? Or at least keep it to the main page?
Yeah, That is a problem. Removing it could bring more posts to the front page. A real QOL improvement....GP

I third this. The announcements reduce the amount of time I spend here now as wading through on mobile is time consuming.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

+1
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Jason Petho wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:18 pm
+1
+2
Peter

Return to “General Discussion”