Steel Tigers Progress?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ringoblood

RE: Steel Tigers Progress?

Post by ringoblood »

ORIGINAL: rwenstrup

I originally got involved with Matrix Games due to Steel Panthers. It is still my favorite game! I believe there are many silent readers of these forums who are watching and waiting for this game. I believe I am speaking for many of us who sincerely hope that a game is in the near future!
Agreed
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I might have seen complaints recently about new games being published as half-done with little content and require gigabytes worth of patches & DLC for extra $$ to complete the game. I might have some such games myself. Do we want that from Matrix and Steel Tigers? Take your time guys, and don't forget to get some sleep.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

I might have seen complaints recently about new games being published as half-done with little content and require gigabytes worth of patches & DLC for extra $$ to complete the game. I might have some such games myself. Do we want that from Matrix and Steel Tigers? Take your time guys, and don't forget to get some sleep.

True i agree with this, i just like some more updates to keep the whistle wet, you know interest. When a game takes years you lose interest and when it finally arrives and the interest is gone then whats the point, thats happened to some many good games.
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Sorry but "Steel Tigers" is going to be a DLC fest be released "half cooked" or "full cooked", the time where you can have in one game all avaliable paying one time died years ago.

I understand this, but at least i expect not ridiculous DLCs ala Paradox... sell West-east-Pacific front is ok but try split more content... [:-]

Anyway Steel Tigers is still vaporware, 0 info about it (even at least know if units are going to have the Experience-morale-commander weapon/rally stats or we are going to see another modernized version of a classic game with ultrasimplified stats), first lets see if game is going to see the light or is going to continue in the fog... Tigers in the FOG [:D]
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

Sometimes its best for developers not to announce games until they have a working product to showcase for that very reason, just my two sense.
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

the time where you can have in one game all avaliable paying one time died years ago.
I call BS on that. Near end of last year, I took a look at Steam looking at releases from 1 day a year before (end of 2017). 25 games, year after release only 2 games has DLC and for 1 game it's free! Conclusion: what Hexagon says is greatly exaggerated.

[edit]
Even the games that get DLC can have plenty of content without buying the DLC. I've got Battle Academy, Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of Shogun, Project Cars 2, BATTLETECH (the video game) all without DLC and I still haven't got through any of them.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Today i dont see an "Age of Rifles", "Steel Panthers" or "Age of Sail II" all in one, titles where you have practically all to play what you want without need pay for it, even the only "DLC" i know on this titles was for "Steel Panthers" but was a simple scen+campaign add-on.

For example you can see diference between the old Talonsoft Campaigns series and the new release.

Are titles with old style "expansions" adding more content and being capable to expand a title value where you pay and dont feel [:@] but even these titles are far from the concept behind a title like "Steel Panthers", a sandbox with all you need to create scens or simple play a fast battle with unexpected enemies.

Today are very good titles but i dont have in my mind now one with the "Steel Panthers" content and player power in a single title with out DLCs adding basic content.

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

So why change the name from "Steel Panthers" to "Steel Tigers"?

Will it be a standalone?

Will it be base game with DLC's for East/West/North/South packs?

Will it change from top down to 3D?

What is it?
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

For example you can see diference between the old Talonsoft Campaigns series and the new release.

Are titles with old style "expansions" adding more content and being capable to expand a title value where you pay and dont feel [:@] but even these titles are far from the concept behind a title like "Steel Panthers", a sandbox with all you need to create scens or simple play a fast battle with unexpected enemies.

You could do that (and still can today) with Talonsoft’s Campaign Series.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well Campaigns Series the Middle east wars title, i didnt remember this great title... and is possible add Armored Brigade to.

But returning to topic... after 3-4 years know something about Steel Tigers could help remember game IS ALIVE [:'(] specially when last Matrix-Slitherine titles are using the same engine and well, look interesting.
zasgard

Post by zasgard »

I'm sure the developers are working on something, but this is vaporware until we see something solid. I've given up on anything coming out, but best of luck to them.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Sometimes a sequal is as good, rare times a bit better.

But I can still play the original. I own the Generals edition, and I have access to the SPCamo titles too.

To be honest, I'm not calling it vapour, but really, just a promise that has a lot of proving to get past when it arrives.

I'm FULLY expecting to see the game savagely attacked for almost every aspect of it's release just as easily. It's a wargame, and it's what we do. The only other area in human endeavour as nasty as a wargaming is the field of science.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I'm FULLY expecting to see the game savagely attacked for almost every aspect of it's release just as easily. It's a wargame, and it's what we do. The only other area in human endeavour as nasty as a wargaming is the field of science.
Tell me about it. BATTLETECH with its he/she/they stirred up quite an outrage. Then again, there are plenty of other game genres where same things happen.

MekWars
zasgard

Post by zasgard »

Anyone know anything about any possible progress?

This game has to be vaporware by now.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I bet its as real as Combined Arms: World War II!!
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Is Joel Billings still the mouth piece for 2 x 3 Games?

Perhaps Slitherine could invite him onto the thread or give them an update directly to post in Announcements ?
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Game development is a long process. How long did it take to write the first Steel Panthers?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Money. It costs money to pry the IP rights to "Steel Panthers" away from whichever conglomerate has it now, and refuses to sell on.
budd

Post by budd »

I imagine it won't be full steam ahead on Steel Tigers until WITE 2 is out the door and stable.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie
ORIGINAL: Zovs

Money. It costs money to pry the IP rights to "Steel Panthers" away from whichever conglomerate has it now, and refuses to sell on.
Hmm. Matrix aquired steel panthers 3 way back and converted it to steel panthers world at war. Meanwhile shrapnel games got steel panthers 1 and 2 and made their own improvements. Neither made money directly from the conversions but appear to have gotten rights to sell expansion campaigns / enhanced cd’s. So perhaps they only have partial rights... our they want to break from the mold so to speak. I’m sure whatever it is it will be a decent game, but it certainly won’t be as all encompassing in content as any of the original Steel Panthers games...

Return to “General Discussion”