What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orm

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Without providing any spoilers,
Please. Do not worry about spoilers. The show-runners already took care of that.

Or another way to put it. I took it upon myself to spoil it when I heard the disappointment.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Watching Lego Masters (Australia). Some incredible things made this week - the standard of competition is really high. If you have any interest in Lego, this is always worth watching.

This was from the previous series.

Attachments
LEGO-Maste..1024x683.jpg
LEGO-Maste..1024x683.jpg (181.64 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
loki100

Post by loki100 »

watched The Tourist on iplayer catch up. It works well when it could have become just a mess of random story lines
Antares367

Post by Antares367 »

“Valley of Tears” on HBO Max.

The “Band of Brothers” of the Yom Kippur War.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I watched Munich: The Edge of War (Netflix) last night. This is a film based in the Robert Harris novel from a few years back.

I enjoyed the book and the film too. I thought Jeremy Irons was well cast as Neville Chamberlain, although the actor playing Hitler, perhaps less so - a bit too gaunt.

Seems to have received a mixed reaction, but I thought it was well worth the time spent.

Recommended

Attachments
20munich-e..uareAt3X.jpg
20munich-e..uareAt3X.jpg (124.35 KiB) Viewed 1623 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

watched The Tourist on iplayer catch up. It works well when it could have become just a mess of random story lines
warspite1

Started watching this - two episodes in and really enjoying it.

warspite1

Re: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Post by warspite1 »

The War (PBS America)

Ken Burns 14 part series that looks at WWII from the point of view of the inhabitants of four US Town/Cities: Luverne (Minnesota), Mobile (Alabama) Sacramento (California) and Waterbury (Connecticut).

The story of one young soldier, an Italian American, was particular heart rending. He'd been fighting in Italy. In all his letters home to his mum he would always tell her that he was fine and there was nothing happening where he was. Although he wasn't interviewed for the program, I was hoping he would make it, but sadly he was killed some days before his 21st birthday.

This is a very well made production looking at all aspects of the war from the point of view of the townsfolk. All services, almost all theatres get a mention, as well as some stories from the home front.

Thoroughly recommended.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Better Call Saul This is the last series and to be honest, I've probably enjoyed this more than its sequel Breaking Bad - which is high praise.

ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

Watched "The Chosen", season #1, 8 episodes.

Pleasantly surprised. The character build of Mary Magdalene, Matthew, the Romans, and Nicodemus most excellent.
You don't have to suffer from EJRDS
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

Excellent series by Invicta using a lot of different elements to tell the story: Rome's Germanic Wars 10 AD - 16 AD.
Length: one and one-half hours.
Part 1 - Campaigns of Tiberius (10-14 AD)
Part 2 - Campaigns of Germanicus (14-15 AD)
Part 3 - Battle of the Long Bridges (15 AD)
Part 4 - Battle of Idistaviso (16 AD)
Part 5 - Battle of the Angrivarian Walls (16 AD)
Part 6 - Fate of Arminius and Germanicus (16 AD)

The video picks up just after the defeat of Varus and his legions at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest by the hands of Arminius. It traces the panicked response of Emperor Augustus and the deployment of Tiberius to resecure the Germanic frontier. The documentary then covers the unfolding series of campaigns launched by Rome and led by Germanicus in its Avenging Varus quest. These feature some of the most climactic battles of the Germanic Wars including the Battle of the Long Bridges, the Battle of Idistaviso, and the Battle of the Angrivarian Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyzY4ayG8R4

~ Best wishes to all
jhyden

This post features Mark Felton, Yarnhub and Lyle Mays music.

Post by jhyden »

A couple of very cool (and related) videos by Mark Felton (Operation Market Garden) and Yarnhub (Battle of Arnhem). PLUS:
A song by Lyle Mays (1953-2020)... Rest in Peace and congrats on the recent (posthumous) Grammy win (2021).

The Great Glider Grab - Salvaging Operation Market Garden Gliders 1944 - Mark Felton:
Duration: 9:34 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87tLJ98 ... xbO29ti2ot

One-Man Tank Destroyer - Yarnhub:
Duration: 7:55 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiiBKMU ... xbO29ti2ot

Lyle Mays (rip):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rOrb0 ... xbO29ti2ot

- best wishes to all
Last edited by jhyden on Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

Old movie: Bridge at Remagen.
You don't have to suffer from EJRDS
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Battle for Moscow. A Russian made film with very authentic looking high command scenes. For me the battle scenes are tedious and rather let the film down, but I guess were necessary for commercial reasons.
Attachments
battle for moscow.jpg
battle for moscow.jpg (111.24 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Lancaster - documentary on Sky about arguably the finest bomber of WWII - featuring lots of comments from those heroes that flew this beautiful aircraft.

Recommended.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Re-watched Romancing the Stone.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

During the weekend I watched two movies. One modern that was a waste of time, and one old that was a masterpiece in comparison.

Joker was a big disappointment. *censored*

Then I re-watched The Princess Bride. Shows that a simple story can make a good movie. The special effects were not good, but in some way better than the special effects in many modern film. Great swordplay, with realistic moves (compared to the fast cut special effects filled fights in modern films).
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Father picks up his kid from the school WITH A TANK! (more likely a tracked recon vehicle or somesuch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4NfmV0_9Ag

Can anyone here ID the thing?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

It's an FV107 Scimitar.

British recon AFV.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Rebel Yell wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:36 pm British recon AFV.
As I thought. What do we think about it called tank? I mean, history knows lighter tanks with weaker armament, but Scimitar isn't officially(?) a tank, so is it an exaggeration to call it a tank? Cool ride anyway, and I bet most of us would have been all over the moon if our fathers had come pick us up from the school with an armoured car/truck.

[edit]
Channel has more videos about the man taking the vehicle to a test drive (lots of cool vehicles on the background), McDonald's, and carwash. Wish he'd take it to the shooting range already...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Kuokkanen wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:25 pm
Rebel Yell wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:36 pm British recon AFV.
As I thought. What do we think about it called tank? I mean, history knows lighter tanks with weaker armament, but Scimitar isn't officially(?) a tank, so is it an exaggeration to call it a tank? Cool ride anyway, and I bet most of us would have been all over the moon if our fathers had come pick us up from the school with an armoured car/truck.

[edit]
Channel has more videos about the man taking the vehicle to a test drive (lots of cool vehicles on the background), McDonald's, and carwash. Wish he'd take it to the shooting range already...
It is a tank. It is fully tracked with an enclosed and rotating turret with a cannon. Think of the US made WWII M3/M5 Stuart, then the M24 Chaffee tanks which were used as light tanks for reconnaissance later in the war after the M3 proved too light as a main battle tank. Although a US made but Soviet manned M3 did take out a Panther tank in 1943 with a side shot.

The cannon probably is not working since that would be a whole lot of legal issues with that working.
Attachments
imagine walking through this store when you are hammered.jpg
imagine walking through this store when you are hammered.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “General Discussion”