HOI ?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Hartmann301

HOI ?

Post by Hartmann301 »

Hi, Looking for suggestions on the Hearts Of Iron games. Which is probably considered the best one?

Thanks
altipueri

Re: HOI ?

Post by altipueri »

Darkest Hour.

A mod of HOI2 but sold separately. Available on GOG and Steam I think for about $5.

It's unit size is the Division which is about right I think for grand strategy.

-

If you like older periods try For The Glory - A separately sold mod of Europa Universals 2
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I would have to agree on Darkest Hour mod. The text files are also very easy to mod.

I have more hours in HoI IV on Steam than any game I've played since Steel Panthers was first released. And that's a guess. If you're on Steam maybe wish-list it, as it's gone as low as 75% off, which is a huge bargain with all the updates over the years. The DLC most people can live without.
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

There's one on GOG called "HOI2 Complete". Would that not include Darkest Hour?
Karri

Post by Karri »

HoI4, the Darkest Hour just launched version 1 of their mod for it. Though it's a bit bugged/easy right now, but it adds a lot of interesting new mechanics.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

@ Hartmann

HOI Complete is all the Paradox HOI 2 expansions - Darkest Hour goes beyond that - so you get HOI Complete plus a bit more - and a nice map and a WW1 scenario, and Russia v Japan 1905 scenario.

An alternative HOI2 mod is Arsenal of Democracy - another highly regarded mod.
---

They are all so cheap now it is almost embarrassing.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Darkest Hour is £7.99 on Steam and £2.00 on GOG today 28th Jan.
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

Thank you
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

In my experience, HOI4 is too simple and takes back too much agency from the player. It is also DLC-dependent- a real malaise in today’s Paradox. I find it terminally boring. I stopped playing vanilla HOI4 when I conquered Europe starting with… Portugal (a guy on the forum claimed that it was possible). The DLCs are adding a lot of things but the game experience remains anemic.

My favorite is still HOI3 updated to Their Finest Hour. It is much more realistic (one concept: OOBs) and deep. There is a reason for why they are still developing mods to this day. Black Ice - the most ambitious - just released its latest version. The AI is still not perfect (the mods partially remedy this) but as a WWII grand strategy experience it has no equals. A lot of refugees from HOI4 are now playing again thus gem.

I agree that Darkest Hour is a good alternative. It is simpler than HOI3 but not as shallow as HOI4. I played it a lot back in the day (the original HOI3 was a bugged mess) and it is another title that is supported to this day. I still would suggest HOI3, but DH is a very good stepping stone.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yeah i think the Darkest Hour will be your best bet, you could also try out AoD too. There are some like third series and some dont and the fourth series is a joke and doesnt really feel like back in WW2 at all.

For the mods, that i am not sure and i dislike Black Ice Mods for all counts. It not even like WW2 setup or accurate the way it should be. The reasons i mention that, cause i tested alot of them and tried contact them about it and see if can correct that. But it like GTFO of here, they do whatever they please lol.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, "GTFO" is a great attitude to have with one's customers!

I got sucked into many hours with HOI IV, but the scenarios all seemed to be dead-ends after a lot of play.

I guess I loved the text-modding best about the previous HOI games. Also agree did not like Black Ice much, but Arsenal of Democracy (AoD) was pretty good. I'm almost tempted to go back to it, but too many games I "need" to play.

Best wishes to all!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Rosseau wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:48 am Yes, "GTFO" is a great attitude to have with one's customers!

I got sucked into many hours with HOI IV, but the scenarios all seemed to be dead-ends after a lot of play.

I guess I loved the text-modding best about the previous HOI games. Also agree did not like Black Ice much, but Arsenal of Democracy (AoD) was pretty good. I'm almost tempted to go back to it, but too many games I "need" to play.

Best wishes to all!
Been years since i contacted them (BICE), guess some are rude and doesnt wanna be bothered. I was trying to point out that the installations and forts arent accurate at all in the Pacific Regions. I can give them the credits for making extra units, etc. Wasnt sure how the game will act, could be unbalance idk.

Btw i do still like playing the very first Hearts of Iron, i know the graphics is limited, but the tech trees is the best part of the game. Sadly they dumped down those techs over these previous series.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Now I know I must play HOI 1.

I've had it for what - 20 years - I read the manual on a cold train going to work. But apart from firing it up a couple of times I moved on to other things. By co-incidence I looked up at my bookshelf about an hour ago and saw the box - now you saying you like the tech tree has got me muttering to myself.

I fired up HOI3 last night on an old Windows 7 laptop. In fact I do too much firing things up and thinking what might have been .......
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

Well I ended up purchasing Darkest Hour on GOG and have already found a small bug. Playing Finland I did research on anti tank weapons as they will be needed for the Winter War. When looking in the brigade attachment box they were not displayed. Did a thorough search and no dice...not there. What should I do?
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Hartmann301 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:46 pm Well I ended up purchasing Darkest Hour on GOG and have already found a small bug. Playing Finland I did research on anti tank weapons as they will be needed for the Winter War. When looking in the brigade attachment box they were not displayed. Did a thorough search and no dice...not there. What should I do?
Did the game crash or just wrong details on the equipment? Most minor nations wasnt fully tested and not really hard to change those things or even mod it at your own. Give me the details, specifically, i will look into it and see if i can fix it for you.
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

Rising-Sun wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:49 am
Hartmann301 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:46 pm Well I ended up purchasing Darkest Hour on GOG and have already found a small bug. Playing Finland I did research on anti tank weapons as they will be needed for the Winter War. When looking in the brigade attachment box they were not displayed. Did a thorough search and no dice...not there. What should I do?
Did the game crash or just wrong details on the equipment? Most minor nations wasnt fully tested and not really hard to change those things or even mod it at your own. Give me the details, specifically, i will look into it and see if i can fix it for you.
No, the game is playing fine. Did not crash. Can't add much to the details I already gave. I researched Anti Tank Guns and when it was finished they should have been in the attachment box...but weren't. I did a research for better ATG and still nothing. Not sure what else I can tell you.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Hartmann301 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:39 pm
No, the game is playing fine. Did not crash. Can't add much to the details I already gave. I researched Anti Tank Guns and when it was finished they should have been in the attachment box...but weren't. I did a research for better ATG and still nothing. Not sure what else I can tell you.
Is this where you have to research the AT guns, and then build them for each unit that is to have the AT brigade?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

Orm wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:01 pm
Hartmann301 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:39 pm

Is this where you have to research the AT guns, and then build them for each unit that is to have the AT brigade?
Yes
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Well it shouldn't be simple as that. Stalin going for Marxist Lenininst path or British giving some freedom to her colonies. There is some randomness about strategy, Paradox has fame about it, I've all the DLC not fully experienced about how AI plays or randomness or any anti tank gun requirement in HOİ'4. Lately I'm playing SGS Korean war from Avalon Digital and there is some randomness in play. Cards are good.

Return to “General Discussion”