PTSD and gaming

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

PTSD and gaming

Post by wodin »

Hello

I forgot to mention in the YouTube video I was in a couple of Vets talk about PTSD and how gaming has helped them.

Link to video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z-09qCZdm ... e=youtu.be

Jason
Rosseau

Re: PTSD and gaming

Post by Rosseau »

I tuned in only to see our friend Wodin on TV. What I didn't expect was this "gaming" site coverage kicks off with a good discussion on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from the veterans.

Way to go, Jason!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Big thanks mate! Pleased you enjoyed it!
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Slightly OT but I read "Regeneration" by Pat Barker a few weeks ago. It covers the slightly fictionalised early PTSD treatment that Dr Rivers gave to the likes of Siegfried Sassoon in WW1.

About a fortnight ago I mentioned this to a psychologist friend who said Rivers became famous for showing that trauma could be caused by things other than what Freud had said; though things have apparently moved on somewhat in the psycho world.

There's a bit here I just found.

https://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2008/03 ... generation

PS To my surprise I enjoyed the book and would recommend it. Or just read Robert Graves and Siegfried Sassoon in their own words.

PPS - try Graves's "Lawrence and the Arabs" for a much more enjoyable account of Lawrence of Arabia's exploits than Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
wodin

Post by wodin »

The film Regeneration is what really started my WW1 obsession. It had a profound impact on me. Right from the opening sequence.

Return to “General Discussion”