War in the East 2: Steel Inferno - Race for the Caucasus Tournament

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

tebaf3

Post by tebaf3 »

Please note, entry into this tournament requires ownership of the Steel Inferno DLC for War in the East 2.

Welcome, Wargamers, to our first War in the East 2 tournament using the PBEM++ system. This is a standard tournament which we are organizing on the War in the East 2 forum at Matrix Games.

We have 16 slots available for players to compete using the new scenario “AG A – Part I – Race for the Caucasus”, a 17-turn scenario which focuses on the historical Operation Edelweiss and the drive by 1st Panzer and 17th Armies, supported by Rumanian forces, to breakthrough to the oil rich regions of the Caucasus. The Soviet forces are initially disrupted and scattered but are quickly reorganized and reinforced. The remaining terms and rules for this tournament are detailed below.
  • Please only sign up if you are able to commit to playing through all rounds should you advance and completing all of your assigned games with your assigned opponents. We expect this tournament to go for a total of 4-5 months.
  • For all major communications and tournament announcements, there will be a Tournament sub-forum in the Gary Grigsby’s War in the East 2 main forum. Forum link
  • When you sign up, in addition to your forum name, please let us know your PBEM++ login handle as well as an e-mail where we can reach you when necessary and a confirmation that you own the DLC. Only complete applications will be accepted.
  • Please check back on the forum regularly for tournament updates. These will include your assigned opponent, your assigned side to play, and any other updates relevant to the tournament.
  • Players will be randomly assigned a side to play for each round.
  • You will have roughly one month to play each round, or about 30 days for 17 turns. The exact start and end date will be announced on the forum.
  • We will start with 16 players, paired up to play 8 initial games.
  • The second round will consist of 8 players, paired up to play 4 games.
  • The third round will consist of 4 players, paired up to play 2 games in the Semi-Final.
  • The final Championship round will consist of 2 games: one for 1st and 2nd place, played by the 2 winners of the Semi-Finals, the other for 3rd and 4th place, played by the two eliminated players from the Semi-Finals.
  • It is the responsibility of players to reach out to their assigned opponent to begin matches. Please use the Tournament sub-forum to organize and confirm opponent pairings and communication.
  • Players will have one week to organize their games. Players who do not respond within the time limit will be disqualified and replaced from chosen back-ups. If you are unable to connect with your assigned opponent within the allotted time, please let MaximKI and Joel Billings know as soon as possible.
  • Tournament recruitment is based on a first-come first-serve basis with the first 16 players to sign up given priority to participate.
  • We will keep the applications after the first 16 and if there are drops in the first or before the Top 16 round, those who are next in line on will be offered a spot in the tournament.
  • A win in the scenario will advance you to the next round. A loss will eliminate you from the tournament. A draw will advance whichever player had the edge in the draw result, however small, in terms of the VP ratio. If a winner cannot be determined by VP ratio, a judgement will be made by the tournament judge, Joel Billings. Please post a screenshot of the VP ratio screen in the Tournament sub-forum.
  • After the first round, if there are drops before the start of a round, those who were eliminated in the earlier rounds but were closest to victory will be offered to substitute dropped players.
  • If a game is not completed and the inability to complete the game is primarily due to delay on the part of one player, the player who delayed the game will forfeit and be eliminated. We will judge player turn delay by looking at the PBEM++ server logs. If both players actively played the game but there were significant delays on both sides, the projected victory will be used to determine who advances to the next round.
  • For any questions or disputes regarding game outcomes, Joel Billings has final say.
Sign-ups open November 18th, 2022 at 3 PM GMT. Sign-ups will close once the Top 16 rounds begin. Top 16 rounds begin on November 28th, 2022 at 3 PM GMT and end on January 6th, 2023 at 3 PM GMT.

Tournament Prizes

Prizes will be awarded as follows:

First Place: A $100 voucher to spend on games, DLCs, and expansions from the Matrix Games / Slitherine game library, along with a custom “WITE2: Steel Inferno Champion” forum avatar

Second Place: A $50 voucher to spend on games, DLCs, and expansions from the Matrix Games / Slitherine game library, along with a custom “WITE2: Steel Inferno 2nd Place” forum avatar

Third Place: A $30 voucher to spend on games, DLCs, and expansions from the Matrix Games / Slitherine game library, along with a custom “WITE2: Steel Inferno 3rd Place” forum avatar

Fourth Place: A $25 voucher to spend on games, DLCs, and expansions from the Matrix Games / Slitherine game library, along with a custom “WITE2: Steel Inferno 4th Place” forum avatar

AAR Award: In addition to these prizes, players who write up a detailed After Action Report of their tournament games on the Matrix Games forum or any of our official social media channels, or record a detailed video AAR and share it, will be awarded a $25 voucher to spend on games, DLCs, and expansions from the Matrix Games / Slitherine game library. Please note, each player is eligible for a total of one voucher this way, not one voucher per AAR. For example, if you were to place Fourth and write up a nice AAR about at least one of your tournament games, that would earn you a total of two vouchers as a prize.

If you have further questions, please reach out to either MaximKI and/or Joel Billings.

- The Matrix Team
AtAtack

Re: War in the East 2: Steel Inferno - Race for the Caucasus Tournament

Post by AtAtack »

Great Idea !

But I wounder:
"...our first War in the East 2 tournament using the PBEM++ system"

Why PBEM? Are there new features or why not use "Server Game"?
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

AtAtack wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:34 pm Great Idea !

But I wounder:

PBEM++ is a MP Server game.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

AtAtack wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:34 pm Great Idea !

But I wounder:

PBEM++ (as opposed to PBEM) is a "server game" played using our multiplayer PBEM server, rather than manually exchanging turns. It also allows for more anti-cheat protection.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Are there any house rules?
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
AtAtack

Post by AtAtack »

HardLuckYetAgain wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:45 pm Are there any house rules?
I guess house rules are not necessery otherwise the game would not be balanced in the eye of the developer
AtAtack

Post by AtAtack »

Drop me a massage. I would like to take part
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Let us get back to you on that.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

AtAtack wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:50 am Drop me a massage. I would like to take part
If you're interested in participating, please head to this link to sign-up::
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 6&t=390245
HardLuckYetAgain

Joel Billings wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:09 am
Let us get back to you on that.
Thank you.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks for asking. We're going to have one house rule that we will expect players to follow which will be added to the tournament rules:

- No Temporary Motorization of units is allowed

We decided to keep it simple, instead of trying to place other restrictions or limits on temp motorization. It appears that many in the H2H community put some kind of restriction on temp motorization, and given the known vehicle issues for both sides at this point in the war, it seems reasonable here. FYI, there are no airborne or amphibious units in this scenario, so no need to consider those items (and we decided against other house rules). I hope players will consider signing up. It should be a fun scenario to play.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Zxeres

Post by Zxeres »

I been seriously considering jumping into this game with you all. This is probably a good place to start. I'd love to see the tourney, that way I can get a handle on the gameplay.

I usually play BICE, Paradox CK2, UO, and some CIV through the years. But I hear this is a different level. So I'm gonna mark this. And hopefully it's a bit more exciting that the Youtube tutorials I was trying to watch. I think I fell asleep twice.. :)

400-500 bucks is a huge investment. I wanna see what that buys, and I'm gonna come with the bias stated above.
HardLuckYetAgain

Joel Billings wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:39 am
Thanks for asking. We're going to have one house rule that we will expect players to follow which will be added to the tournament rules:

- No Temporary Motorization of units is allowed

We decided to keep it simple, instead of trying to place other restrictions or limits on temp motorization. It appears that many in the H2H community put some kind of restriction on temp motorization, and given the known vehicle issues for both sides at this point in the war, it seems reasonable here. FYI, there are no airborne or amphibious units in this scenario, so no need to consider those items (and we decided against other house rules). I hope players will consider signing up. It should be a fun scenario to play.
Perfect! That is the one house rule I was looking for to be added. As always thank you for the speedy reply.
K62

Post by K62 »

Would you consider making the time limit per round 34 days instead of 30, since there are 34 half-turns in the game? It's much easier to keep track of it if you're expected to do exactly one turn per day, in my opinion.
"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak" - John Adams
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Although the tournament rules say approximately 30 days, the current actual round 1 is set to be 35 days. If you go to the sub forum for the tournament https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=11946 you'll see the recent updates to the schedule and tournament rules, and the thread for signing up. The current start date for round 1 is December 7, with the first round concluding January 11. We'll see how the first round goes, but likely follow on rounds will be similar. There are still some open seats in the tournament for those interested.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”