Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Out Now

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

Roby7979

Post by Roby7979 »

Nine years after the release of Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, On Target Simulation returns with a new masterpiece. Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm is finally available, exclusively on the Matrix Games store. Hundreds of meticulously researched platforms and weapons, detailed orders of battle, and realistic modeling of modern combat, including armor, infantry, helicopters, airpower, and chemical and nuclear weapons, all wrapped up with a new user interface and PBEM++ multiplayer support.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm has an innovative WEGO asynchronous turn resolution system which models command friction, and it’s set at the height of the Cold War, with the action centered on 1989.

A slick and customizable user interface and a vastly improved and re-modeled gameplay and combat resolution system are only the tip of an iceberg of awesome changes and upgrades that represent an entirely new generation of Flashpoint Campaigns. 
Twenty-four stand-alone scenarios and fourteen more linked campaign scenarios spread across three detailed campaigns involve NATO and Warsaw Pact forces from the US, France, Canada, West Germany, the Soviet Union, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia.

Features:
• Your forces will engage the enemy on 20km x 15km or larger rendered real-world map locations. Each hex is 500m of militarily significant terrain. Each battle can last 4 to 24 hours of in-game time.
• Your troops will meet their foes during any time of day and any weather.
• Your efforts in this complex battlespace will be constantly challenged by modeled features like Electronic Warfare, Air Superiority, Realistic Weather, Line of Sight and Fire, Terrain and Elevation, Smoke and Mines, and Human Factors like training, morale, and readiness. All these elements must be considered if you are to be victorious on the battlefield.
• To help you navigate these critical factors, the game is packed with information dialogs, map overlays, and range rings to aid you as Commander, master the situation, and understand the capabilities of your forces.
• Southern Storm covers areas of Southern West Germany on 40 plus maps and an extensive selection of military equipment from 1980 to 1989. You will lead forces from the United States, France, Canada, West Germany, the Soviet Union, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia. These nations will be fighting in many replayable scenarios and campaigns, both in solo efforts or with allied nations fighting by your side.
• You will be immersed in a data-rich simulation where each nation has information on National Characteristics, Command Parameters, and Orders of Battle. Data Tables are packed with era-specific equipment and troops. Weapon Systems of the time, such as guns, missiles, precision munitions, small arms, and much more, are comprehensively modeled.
• As a toolkit, you can create your scenarios and campaigns. You can also dive deeper and create or modify game data, artwork, and sound effects as you see fit. All these modding capabilities are supported by detailed documentation.

Physical Manuals will begin shipping from January 9th, 2023. You will receive a serial number to allow you to start playing the digital download version of the game as soon as you complete your order.

Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Buy Now
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/flashp ... hern-storm

Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm in 2 mins
https://youtu.be/GfggCStPlto
JPV511

Re: Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Out Now

Post by JPV511 »

Thanks, I purchased this morning! I was pressed for time but I let the AI play smartly against itself while my eyes and ears feasted on this beauty of a wargame. I appreciate the polished improvements over Red Storm. The info presented, I feel is less ambiguous and, my oh my, the graphics are great! Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this title. Hopefully Red Storm gets updated as well.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

JPV511,

Thanks for the kind words. We hope all of the extra time and delay on the game has paid off in how it plays and looks. We improved and changed so many features and models it is hard to count them all. As for Red Storm, the game will not be updated, but we will be doing Central Storm as the first DLC, which will be a rework of the Red Storm content to fit the location and forces better. We hope to replicate many of the maps and scenarios and sprinkle in some new things.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
JPV511

Post by JPV511 »

CapnDarwin wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:47 pm We hope all of the extra time and delay on the game has paid off in how it plays and looks.

As for Red Storm, the game will not be updated, but we will be doing Central Storm as the first DLC...
Other wargames I continue to enjoy are running on ancient engines, so it's definitely refreshing to see a 2D map & counter game getting triple-A treatment. Looking forward to the Central Storm DLC!
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I think I read somewhere that new scenario maps will have to come from those that ship with the product.
For example, I want make a small recon meeting engagement. I cut out a map from an existing larger one and then add in my own OOBs and AI programing. In the future, map drawing tools might become available to for those working on DLCs.
Is this the situation as of today? Thanks. Good luck with the release of Southern Storm!
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
JPV511

Post by JPV511 »

CapnDarwin wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:47 pm As for Red Storm, the game will not be updated, but we will be doing Central Storm as the first DLC...
I just read the FAQ Roadmap and I am looking forward to the fruition of Arctic Storm and Mediterranean Storm. Please consider a US vs USSR in the desert DLC, a-la Harold Coyle's Sword Point. I know you can't call it Desert Storm, but what about Sand Storm? Not the most original but hey, we got the ball rolling... :P
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

@kevinkins - You can make new scenarios with any of the existing maps or modify an existing scenario and give it a new name. Cutting a map down may be possible, but you would then have to redo the map values for the cut-down map. I'll have to check with William to see if there is a way to parse the data file to match the new map, as I do not think we have that capability. The only tool for map work is the Map Values editor. The tools used to make the maps are currently team-only items for several reasons. We may look at doing something in the future, but that is an extremely low-priority item. Our content team will be working to make new maps for the new DLCs, giving scenario makers more locations to fight on.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

@JPV - We have a lot of ideas and will be working on our roadmap list. The documents for Content and Modding are being worked on, and we'll have those out in the next few weeks as they are completed and reviewed by the team. Once that happens, players will be free to make their own stuff with the limitation of no map editor (that is an entirely different set of issues).

ksl714

Post by ksl714 »

Looks like the unit counters for WP infantry is backwards i.e. 31 instead of 13.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Counter numbers reflect the total number of subunits in the unit.

stolowski

Post by stolowski »

Great game, I’m loving it! Very unique mechanics.
atuhalpa

AI for Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm

Post by atuhalpa »

I believe that all of the battle plans for the AI have been scripted, but correct me if I am wrong. My question is even though I am pretty new to this game/sim, It is not too hard to get a marginal victory even on Grog setting. This may be because I have been wargaming since "Panzer Blitz" back in 1970. So my question is: Are there any plans or potential to have better AI mods or updates? If so when? Thanks in advance.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Atuhalpa, the team is always working to improve the AI's functionality and the game's mechanics. Battle plans are not fully scripted plans. They are overarching direction/orders that allow a scenario designer to position forces and provide opening moves that the AI then react and adjusts to as the game unfolds. The scenarios have fixed objectives. The plans allow the player to find the enemy as they may start and move from different locations on the map via a plan. We will also add more functionality to the planning aspect over time. All of this should improve the playability and replayability of the game. If you are using solid military tactics and planning, in most cases, you should be able to achieve a victory. That's what we want the game to do.

Enjoy the battles.

atuhalpa

Post by atuhalpa »

Cool! On the technical side of things are you guys interested in correcting minor typos in the docs for FCSS? I've found a few just perfunctorily reading them. I used to proofread for "Command Magazine" back in the early 90's. I of course would do it pro bono.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

If it is for the PDF versions of the docs, yes. Which, section and errors are awesome as we will be updating them periodically (especially the Ops Doc FM01). Thanks.

atuhalpa

Post by atuhalpa »

Cap'n Darwin, I have 83% of FCCW-01/R1 proofread and the typos noted in hard copy. I will most likely finish by tomorrow and would like to know the method by which I can get the data to the proper person. Is it possible to edit the PDF manual using the "Enable Editing" tab and just highlight the typos and send you or whomever the edited PDF? Or is editing not possible without buying editing rights from Adobe? I am not adept at Adobe PDF's. Thanks in advance.

Addendum: I am able to edit the PDF and I will highlight all of the typos I think I found in yellow highlight, add a sticky note with my suggested correction and send it as an attachment to wherever you request if that works for you guys.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

That person is me. Send your markup via email to capn(dot)darwin(at)windstream(dot)net. Thanks!

atuhalpa

Post by atuhalpa »

Will do. I just finished and will send it ASAP.
atuhalpa

Post by atuhalpa »

Unfortunately now that I have been attempting to create a scenario from scratch I am not at all pleased with this iteration of Flashpoint Campaigns. The editing interface is more convoluted and non-intuitive than any other wargame I have ever played. Try as I might I never was able to just delete the scenario as a "map graphics not found" error popped up that prevented me from finishing a scenario I had already put hours into, and that as far as I could tell was a glitch in the program, not my error. The included scenarios are less than stellar, with a few having WP air assets attack me on the very first turn destroying units before any AD could even respond which is completely unrealistic as far as I am concerned, a tutorial 3rd level that is unwinnable, and another scenario that is a cakewalk for NATO, even on the grog setting. It would really be nice to have a comprehensive scenario editing manual so as to save time trying to trial and error it. Maybe I missed it but I couldn't find anything on scenario editing. Help me out here, I am starting to regret buying this iteration.
atuhalpa

Post by atuhalpa »

No reply, hmm. Everytime I try to build a scenario using the editor something glitches. This sim is broken. I want my money back. I will contact Matrix myself as it seems there is no technical support at least in this section of the forum.

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”