NWS and Matrix Games join forces to launch Rule the Waves III

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

Roby7979

Post by Roby7979 »

The naval sim will hit stores in Q1 2023

Epsom, UK, August 29th, 2022

Matrix Games and Naval Warfare Simulations are partnering to release the upcoming grand fleet management, design and battle simulation Rule the Waves III. This new cooperation between two of the most renowned brands in the wargaming community will bring new life to a franchise recognized as the best-in-genre by thousands of players worldwide.

“We are thrilled to start a new collaboration with NWS,” said Erik Rutins of Matrix Games.“ We strive to give more visibility to key wargaming franchises and make them available to a broader public, and Rule the Waves has always been one of our favorite series in naval wargaming. We look forward to working with NWS to expand its audience and allow more players worldwide to enjoy this title’s depth of gameplay and accuracy”.

NWS is a US-based developer and publisher of both digital and physical naval simulations. The release of Rule the Waves 3 is the first collaboration between Matrix Games and NWS. The game will release on the Matrix Games store, Steam, and other third-party stores by the end of the first quarter of 2023.

The beta testing phase is starting today and interested players can sign up https://www.matrixgames.com/beta/rule-the-waves-3

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.

Rule the Waves III will let you design and build the ships of your navy, and lead them into battle
when war erupts. You will guide your navy's deployment, construction and operations during a period of great technological innovation and political tensions. While the game derives much of its technology and events from 'actual' history, you will find that you forge your own new history each and every time you play!

Features:

Campaigns start in either 1890, 1900,1920 or 1935 and can run through 1970.
Monthly strategic turns with Battles resolved in a realistic tactical naval battle resolution system.
Manage your naval budget, and deal with interfering Kaisers, presidents or navy ministers as well as a variety of historical events including naval treaties.
Realistic design of ships ranging from corvettes to battleships and aircraft carriers.
Research and technical development will determine ship design and tactics.
Espionage will keep you up to date on the progress of competing navies
Submarines, airships, aircraft and missiles will all appear and change the naval balance of power.
Build, train, maintain and fight with your own 'ideal' navy.
Construct coastal fortifications, airbases and other defenses
Play as USA, Great Britain, Germany, France, Russia, Italy, Japan, Spain, Austria-Hungary, or China.

Rule the Waves III Coming Soon
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/rule-the-waves-3
WilliamMiller

Re: NWS and Matrix Games join forces to launch Rule the Waves III

Post by WilliamMiller »

Greetings everyone!

This is William Miller, administrator for Naval Warfare Simulations (https://www.navalwarfare.net/).

We at NWS are very excited to join with Matrix for the release of our upcoming Rule the Waves III game! I would like to especially thank thank Erik Rutins for his helpful support and encouragement throughout the process so far, and we look forward to continue working with him & the rest of the Matrix crew on this, our first publication with Matrix Games.

Thanks!
Last edited by WilliamMiller on Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

This sounds great! I have all of the SAI titles (both WWI and RJW) and have loved it. It always slipped my mind to pick up RTW, now I won't have an excuse! :lol:
Last edited by OldSarge on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Searry

Post by Searry »

Both RtW 1 and 2 were great. I hope a publisher will help NWS a lot.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
Wurstsalat

Post by Wurstsalat »

:o This is amazing news for Rule The Waves, im looking forward to sinking my time into this! This also most likely means a more "professional" aproach to development, i rly enjoyed participating in RTW 1&2 development directly, i trust this partnership will only benefit the game in the end tho! God speed sailors!
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

This is good thing! Will be fun! 8-)
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

76mm

Post by 76mm »

I've looked at RTW1 and RTW2 but never bought, for a simple reason: I love the idea of being able to design my own ships and fight battles, but not necessarily in the context of a RTW campaign. Why not allow a "sandbox" mode that allows players to design ships and conduct battles on a one-off basis, rather than only as part of a campaign?
Zaslon

Post by Zaslon »

Congrats Matrix, Rule the waves is a great game
I played I and II and I am sure that I will enjoy the third iteration.
Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

76mm wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:49 pm I've looked at RTW1 and RTW2 but never bought, for a simple reason: I love the idea of being able to design my own ships and fight battles, but not necessarily in the context of a RTW campaign. Why not allow a "sandbox" mode that allows players to design ships and conduct battles on a one-off basis, rather than only as part of a campaign?
Probably because research is a huge part of the game. And it is already a sandbox game as it stands.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
pkpowers

Post by pkpowers »

The campaign allows countries to "test fight" ships vs each other (of same country); sort of like college intra-mural squad practices :) ; a fleet rehearsal
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

76mm wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:49 pm I've looked at RTW1 and RTW2 but never bought, for a simple reason: I love the idea of being able to design my own ships and fight battles, but not necessarily in the context of a RTW campaign. Why not allow a "sandbox" mode that allows players to design ships and conduct battles on a one-off basis, rather than only as part of a campaign?
Search Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

I enjoyed RTW 1 but didn't go for RTW 2, and probably won't do RTW 3 as for me, I didn't want the added complication of airpower.

I was hoping the RTW designers would go in the opposite timeframe - backwards to the 1700s to the ironclad days! Would love to see a RTW during the Napoleonic era and the design breakthroughs of the ironclad era.

maybe someday.....
76mm

Post by 76mm »

thewood1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:42 pm Search Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts
Thanks, but I'm looking for WWII. I'm not aware of any contemporary computer game that lets you choose from a large pool of ships, create a map and fight WWII naval actions (including air power). I've resorted to miniatures for this stuff, but keep hoping that this gap will be filled.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

There is the WDS Naval system.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

I never played Rule the Waves but I owned and played Steam and Iron. I thought Steam and Iron was excellent in terms of game design, play and detail. The drawback was graphics. For ships, all you could see were dots or a top down ship outline. If the graphics are brought up to today's standards, it would be wonderful and I would immediately buy again.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Will defiantly be buying this and would be neat to have a rerelease with better graphics if possible..
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Matto

Post by Matto »

Great news! I love and play most of NWS naval games, so I'm sure I will enjoy RtW3 too ... cannot wait 8-)
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

RNUSA1

Post by RNUSA1 »

I've been a big fan of RTW2 and am looking forward to RTW3.

How do you become a beta tester for RTW3?

I'd love to try it out.

AtB- RNUSA1
WilliamMiller

Post by WilliamMiller »

RNUSA1 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:33 pm I've been a big fan of RTW2 and am looking forward to RTW3.

How do you become a beta tester for RTW3?

I'd love to try it out.

AtB- RNUSA1
The initial beta testers application period is over, but from time-to-time additional testers may be selected to replace losses due to attrition:

https://www.matrixgames.com/beta/rule-the-waves-3
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”