Strategic Command: American Civil War Announced

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

Christolos

Re: Strategic Command: American Civil War Announced

Post by Christolos »

BillRunacre wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:05 am If you're interested in applying to join the Beta and helping us with this the link is at the bottom of this page:
https://www.matrixgames.com/news/strate ... -announced
When can we expect to hear whether those who applied for the Beta, will be accepted or not?

I applied over a week ago and have not heard anything yet.

I'm really looking forward to this coming out! :D

Thanks.

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Great, thanks for applying and I believe that Slitherine will be sorting out the beta in the next week or so.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Pavia

Post by Pavia »

OldCrowBalthazor wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:45 am Awesome news. Map looks luscious!
Btw..looking at the maps..I see it goes New Mexico way. Battle of Glorieta Pass. Been there...its right off I-25 and took place in a heavily wooded gap in rugged terrain. Also...since the Unorganized Indian Territories (Oklahoma) must be featured, I bet the Native American leader Stand Watie may be involved! Can't wait. o7

I'm asking General Lee... or Grant if Lee isn't available.
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

Sweetness!

1) Who's the Lead Developer?
2) Forget stacking, you need Army Counter with simple strength & stack all the leaders.
3) Will Army be able to put in "Retreat" mode when other player is making their PBEM move?
4) Supply Depots should be separate counters than Leaders
5) Leaders should have a certain chance of injury/death per battle.
6) Leaders should have demotion or "getting fired" at cost. (politics, plus Union didn't know their leaders suck, early on)
7) Railroads, guessing will work like operands.
8) part of #3, Armies should have serious ZOC. Do not turn this into hexes of screening units. Armies with x20 strength overrun and keep moving.
9) For stacking, I'd just make an indicator on the counter for cannon strength.
10) Calvary better be badass, hard to catch, and much, much more mobile.
11) How to score Victory Conditions is critical. (Victory Games US Civil War has great model)

American Trilogy,
-Elvis
You don't have to suffer from EJRDS
Zeckke

Post by Zeckke »

what i see a mistake of games about American; civil war is that both sides should have an ammount of money (like a treasure) at start the war, and thats all. (for the hole war, so you can not make more money) so you have this ammount at start and you expend it on; industry, form calvary units, buy artillery, make progress on reserachs, invest on weapons....etc
michaelCLARADY

Post by michaelCLARADY »

Zeckke wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:59 pm what i see a mistake of games about American; civil war is that both sides should have an ammount of money (like a treasure) at start the war, and thats all. (for the hole war, so you can not make more money) so you have this ammount at start and you expend it on; industry, form calvary units, buy artillery, make progress on reserachs, invest on weapons....etc
WHY??? That has never been how a more or less modern economy works. Goods keep being produced as long as there is demand, labor and tools. Manpower was the great constraint. More men with the army= fewer workers to support the army.
Zeckke

Post by Zeckke »

michaelCLARADY wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:39 pm
Zeckke wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:59 pm what i see a mistake of games about American; civil war is that both sides should have an ammount of money (like a treasure) at start the war, and thats all. (for the hole war, so you can not make more money) so you have this ammount at start and you expend it on; industry, form calvary units, buy artillery, make progress on reserachs, invest on weapons....etc
WHY??? That has never been how a more or less modern economy works. Goods keep being produced as long as there is demand, labor and tools. Manpower was the great constraint. More men with the army= fewer workers to support the army.
there is no manpower for industry, the manpower is all recruited. so no industry seems to make profits because there is no workers, the manpower is all in the front , fighting..(workers included for south)

The manpower is what they give you the victory, plus is a period of slaves, The Union with his politicians has to deal with this problem of abolihsment and its not clear what happened. and they wanted to recruit the slaves as free man. (so the Union has more manpower than the confederates)
Last edited by Zeckke on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

Zeckke wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:44 pm thats what i mean, there is no manpower for industry, the manpower is all recruited. so no industry seems to make profits because there is no workers, the manpower is all in the front , fighting..(workers included)

The manpower is what they give you the victory, plus is a period of slaves, The Union with his politicians has to deal with this problem of abolihsment and its not clear what happened. and they wanted to recruit the slaves as free man. (so the Union has more manpower than the confederates)
In general...

1) The North had 3 times the population as the South.
2) The North was industrialized while the South was agrarian.
3) The North had a robust rail system which they expanded throughout the war while the South's rail system was regional and not interconnected.
4) The North manufactured their weapons while the South used primarily captured or purchased weapons.
5) Rifled weapons gave an enormous advantage to the defender. Even Robert E. Lee found that charging in the open against a well defended enemy resulted in a slaughter.
6) While much of the war focused on Virginia, it was won in the west by capturing the Mississippi and an effective blockade which cut off foreign commerce.
7) So divided and cut off, the final stage of the war was one of attrition, which the North due to its far larger population, was able to execute and bring the war to an end.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

*Lava* wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:56 pm
In general...

3) The North had a robust rail system which they expanded throughout the war while the South's rail system was regional and not interconnected.
4) The North manufactured their weapons while the South used primarily captured or purchased weapons.
About the same for Vietnam vs. USA. And things looked pretty lopsided for the British in the Revolutionary War too.

The South only had to outlast the Lincoln Administration. Adjust the results a little and he loses re-election in 1864.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Zeckke

Post by Zeckke »

Zeckke wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:44 pm thats what i mean, there is no manpower for industry, the manpower is all recruited. so no industry seems to make profits because there is no workers, the manpower is all in the front , fighting..(workers included)

In general...

5) Rifled weapons gave an enormous advantage to the defender. Even Robert E. Lee found that charging in the open against a well defended enemy resulted in a slaughter.
6) While much of the war focused on Virginia, it was won in the west by capturing the Mississippi and an effective blockade which cut off foreign commerce.
7) So divided and cut off, the final stage of the war was one of attrition, which the North due to its far larger population, was able to execute and bring the war to an end.
all right, lets see if the developers do a great GAME (the Biggest civilwar in history to bloody but the bullets were criminal) with all this content.
Zeckke

Post by Zeckke »

Curtis Lemay wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:51 pm
In general...

About the same for Vietnam vs. USA. And things looked pretty lopsided for the British in the Revolutionary War too.

The South only had to outlast the Lincoln Administration. Adjust the results a little and he loses re-election in 1864.
Curtis good to Know as well.
Don60420

Post by Don60420 »

The South came really close in 1864, with Lincoln thinking in August he was going to lose re-election in the fall. A raft of Union victories ensured his victory, but it is not hard to come up with a plausible case of Lincoln losing and a negotiated peace with Confederate independence resulting.
Jodl

Post by Jodl »

Looking forward to the release. I'll be happy to buy the game then play it. Looks awesome!
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I'm not interested. How can I remove this topic from appearing everywhere. This is spam where I'm concerned.
Peter
michaelCLARADY

Post by michaelCLARADY »

Interesting article regarding civil war logistics. Amateurs talk strategy, professionals talk logistics.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrC3CJ ... 1nLl3vOYk-
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Any news for those that applied to be Beta Testers for this game? In touch with a few of my friends who have applied as have I and no one has heard anything. I cleared a bit of my desk lets just say in anticipation of possibly being able to participate.
:)
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
Don60420

Post by Don60420 »

Ditto to the last question. I have been in hundreds of beta tests, board and computer, over the years, but I do not believe I have ever been so eager to participate in one. I think this project is a passion for a lot of us.
SamuraiProgrmmr

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

Listening to Shelby Foote's history on audiobook to set the mood.

Looking forward to it!
Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks everyone and just to follow up it is from what I understand quite close to being ready, just a few minor issues to sort out before finally getting it out the door to everyone :)
Don60420

Post by Don60420 »

Thanks for the update Hubert! Really looking forward to this game. New worlds to conquer for the magnificent system you devised!

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”