Strategic Command: American Civil War Announced

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

Tanaka

Re: Strategic Command: American Civil War Announced

Post by Tanaka »

Pocus wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:00 pm I don't want to undermine this excellent project (and I'll certainly play it), but if you never found a TBS strategy game based on the CW, then you missed AGEOD ACW2!
It's on sale at Matrix and AGEOD, obviously :mrgreen:
Yes this would be the previous king! Great game!
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

PvtBenjamin wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:33 pm Will the MP (PBEM) game be balanced? I haven't played a Civil War game in a while but historically the North had a far superior economy & military (size not leadership). The South really had minimal chance of winning and did about as good as they could.
Balance is the aim! We do also have the Fighting Spirit feature that provides us with an extra mechanism to attain this. :)

If you're interested in applying to join the Beta and helping us with this the link is at the bottom of this page:
https://www.matrixgames.com/news/strate ... -announced
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Zeckke

Post by Zeckke »

appliyed, if no people

but PLEASE

take I look of the music of this game, ( The civil WAR published by EMPIRE INTERACTIVE 1995, sotfware c 1995 Dagger Interactive Technologies Ltd.)

Program;
Steve Green, Chris wall
Desing;
Adrian Earle
Grafic Desing;
James Mather, Emma Morle
Investigation;
John Davis
MUSIC;
George Villiers

its a great game,..

and the battle of gettysburg Die Grosse Schlachtum (empire also)
michaelCLARADY

Post by michaelCLARADY »

The Confederacy's chance of victory rested on diplomacy -gain the overt aid of UK & France and stay defensive- make the Federals do the attacking and bleeding. As it was the Great Lakes States were so tired of Lincoln's War that sedition was a reality and open rebellion a possibility. The conscription resulted in some of the most violent riots the USA has ever seen. Also at least initially the Confederates should have a much higher experience? morale? level than Federals. The General with a particular Army should be major odds factor. Also a much greater fog of war than is typical of WW1 & WW2 games.
Zeckke

Post by Zeckke »

this is really a game of FOG of WAR, if so, confederates were at 1961 believe in victory, the morale is a key factor also dont see how the south economy can be improved, but will see the blockade how it works
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

michaelCLARADY wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 pm The Confederacy's chance of victory rested on diplomacy -gain the overt aid of UK & France and stay defensive- make the Federals do the attacking and bleeding. As it was the Great Lakes States were so tired of Lincoln's War that sedition was a reality and open rebellion a possibility. The conscription resulted in some of the most violent riots the USA has ever seen. Also at least initially the Confederates should have a much higher experience? morale? level than Federals. The General with a particular Army should be major odds factor. Also a much greater fog of war than is typical of WW1 & WW2 games.
Yes very much like the American Revolutionary War on the American side. Like has been discussed the South will need several advantages to keep the game balanced. Experience, Morale, and most of all very good Calvary and Generals.
defekt

Post by defekt »

Not convinced this engine will work for ACW. Screenshots, and SC games experience, suggest that this will play a lot like SC:WW1 with fairly immobile, somewhat impenetrable fronts attriting each other, rather than the permeable war of mobility that it was. The game's scale and lack of stacking threaten to further strain the authenticity of the setting, at least based on what's known about the game thus far.

Will of course wait to see what the final product is like before deciding whether or not it's worth getting.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

In terms of scale and potential maneuverability, I just wanted to re-iterate the map size and that this is our biggest map to date.

To put things into perspective:

War in Europe/WWI ~ 37K hexes
World at War ~ 41K hexes

CIVIL WAR will have over 66,000 hexes, close to almost double that of War in Europe!
Zeckke

Post by Zeckke »

Hubert Cater wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:32 pm
CIVIL WAR will have over 66,000 hexes, close to almost double that of War in Europe!
yes, its going to be a fabulous game, for sure,

just we want to know if the armys are historical, or you can recruit, artillery, ships etc,, according to the industry.
Mithrilotter

Post by Mithrilotter »

I was an alpha tester on the Civil War game and I'm very impressed. Ryan and Bill have done a masterful job. Hubert has made nice improvements to the Strategic Command engine for this game, for example river hexes are now full playable hexes for river ships, like river gunboats and transports. The beginning Union HQ's make World War 2 Italian HQ's look good. Really great Generals can't be rebuilt if lost in combat, like Grant or Stonewall Jackson. Cavalry is essential for spotting, or one will get very badly ambushed when moving. Ryan has significantly strengthened the Confederates over historical levels to make that side more playable. Both sides are a lot of fun to play.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

:( That seems to imply that the victory conditions will be based on winning the war. That in turn implies Confederate player resignations when they can't achieve it. :(
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Taxman66 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:08 pm :( That seems to imply that the victory conditions will be based on winning the war. That in turn implies Confederate player resignations when they can't achieve it. :(
I've never heard of a Civil War game that bases victory conditions on losing the war :lol: .

As Bill hinted at a few posts up, the VCs are based primarily on Fighting Spirit (or as you may be familiar with it, National Morale), and the system is set up in such a way that the Confederates can afford to give up some ground and still win the game - provided they don't give up too much - it all depends on how costly they can make the Union's advance.

While testing the game, I've had numerous games where victory or defeat felt like it hinged on the capture of one or two objectives in particular, always resulting in fierce and exciting battles!
Mithrilotter wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:49 pm The beginning Union HQ's make World War 2 Italian HQ's look good.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Strategic Command Designer
https://www.youtube.com/@bitenibblechomp
AndySfromVA

Post by AndySfromVA »

I hope the game factors in loyalty. The war was very unpopular in different regions. For instance parts of Tennessee and Virginia were opposed to the Confederacy and New York and Baltimore were very anti-Lincoln. These loyalty issues should require the use of badly needed troops to guard against spying and sabotage.
steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo »

Not really an era I'm really into game-wise so I am initially disappointed, but in many ways it is good that it is a fresh game, rather than a rehash. That said I love the series' design, game mechanics and AI so will surely buy it anyway.
Don60420

Post by Don60420 »

I hope there will eventually be a scenario or a mod that begins with foreign intervention already a fact. The map which includes so much of Mexico and Canada seems to be made for such a scenario!
EvilSix

Post by EvilSix »

Good to hear that the games seems balanced and that the Confederates are viable. I am looking forward to seeing how much we must rely on cavalry to screen movements and scout the enemy. I also wonder how viable it is to rush the enemy capitals at the start of the game. Some civil war games suffer because the capitals are so close and players can just gank them.
BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Don60420 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:56 am I hope there will eventually be a scenario or a mod that begins with foreign intervention already a fact. The map which includes so much of Mexico and Canada seems to be made for such a scenario!
1862 Trent War is just that - the British are an active participant from the very beginning of the campaign. :D

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Strategic Command Designer
https://www.youtube.com/@bitenibblechomp
Don60420

Post by Don60420 »

Fantastic. A couple of blocks from my house in Dwight, Illinois we have Renfrew Park which commemorates the visit here in 1860 of the Prince of Wales and his hunting prairie chickens at that location. The Prince loved his visit to America and told his parents how nice the American people had been to him. I have wondered if Prince Albert would have summoned the energy to rise from his death bed to soften the British communique to the US on the Trent affair if his son had been met with hostility instead of bon homie.
commandergren

Post by commandergren »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:00 pm
Don60420 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:56 am I hope there will eventually be a scenario or a mod that begins with foreign intervention already a fact. The map which includes so much of Mexico and Canada seems to be made for such a scenario!
1862 Trent War is just that - the British are an active participant from the very beginning of the campaign. :D

- BNC
Oh, that sounds fun.
kjgokc2007

Post by kjgokc2007 »

Awesome! Please include a ranking system and maybe top 10-100 players and you will get more interest. Prizes and Publicity would help too... You tube!

* Same for your older games! :mrgreen:

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”