Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive - 11/1/2005 9:49:46 AM   
Dragoon 45

I am getting ready to purchase a new laptop in the near future. I normally like to keep two versions of SPWaW on the computer; one version that has no changes in the OOB's for use against other players and designing scenario's and the second version for experimental purposes, i.e. adding new weapons and experimental weapons and unit types. My question is how well would SPWaW run off an external USB 2.0 120 gb hard-drive? I know the game is a memory hog and wasn't sure if installing it on an external HDD would allow the game to run without any problems. As I understand it the data transfer rate for USB 2.0 is almost as fast as an internal HDD, but I am still concerned with the memory issue. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Artillery always has the Right of Way
Post #: 1
RE: Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive - 11/1/2005 9:38:00 PM   
Guderon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragoon 45

I am getting ready to purchase a new laptop in the near future. I normally like to keep two versions of SPWaW on the computer; one version that has no changes in the OOB's for use against other players and designing scenario's and the second version for experimental purposes, i.e. adding new weapons and experimental weapons and unit types. My question is how well would SPWaW run off an external USB 2.0 120 gb hard-drive? I know the game is a memory hog and wasn't sure if installing it on an external HDD would allow the game to run without any problems. As I understand it the data transfer rate for USB 2.0 is almost as fast as an internal HDD, but I am still concerned with the memory issue. Any help? Thanks in advance.

I don't see any reason that it should run significantly different on a fast external HD than on an internal one. You mention a memory concern - that's an entirely different issue and completely independent of your HD. When in doubt with a new computer, get more memory. Even if you don't have any games or apps that need it right now, new games/apps are continually more resource intensive and I don't see that changing in the future. Getting more now will save you having to upgrade later when that next 'gotta play it right now' memory hog of a game comes out.

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 2
RE: Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive - 11/1/2005 11:05:05 PM   
Nikademus

like said, go with as much RAM as you can afford or is offered for the model in question. Long years of computer buying experience taught me that. Got tired of always having to upgrade my RAM. Now i just get as much as the unit will take. (in the case of my current laptop...2Gig)

(in reply to Guderon)
Post #: 3
RE: Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive - 11/2/2005 1:59:26 PM   
omegaall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragoon 45

This should not be a problem unless you are thinking of running both at the same time.

I have been running two version, one was on one of the IDE hard drives the other on a SCSI external drive.

I ahve now put all version in one directory and there are a few copies of the game, standard, h2h, 7.1, 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4:(

I donlt run lots of memory either. RAM for my system costs tooooooo much.

eg

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 4
RE: Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive - 11/2/2005 7:28:09 PM   
Dragoon 45

Thanks all for the input.

Artillery always has the Right of Way

(in reply to omegaall)
Post #: 5
RE: Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive - 11/2/2005 10:24:17 PM   
Warhorse

LOL!! Looks like my HD!!! Never have too many installs, no? Then you have SPWW2, MBT, several installs of each of those....

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to omegaall)
Post #: 6
RE: Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive - 11/3/2005 1:14:22 AM   
omegaall

Never too many installs or copies. Anyway SPWW2 and MBT are all on another directory. Not to mention all the down loads and other bits in a further directory.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Installing SPWaW on an external Hard-drive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI