Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vassal Password Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Vassal Password Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vassal Password Question - 9/24/2005 1:16:23 PM   
stevel40831

While waiting for BoH to come out I purchased LnL: Forgotten Heroes. I'm new to Vassal and am having a problem that I'm sure if simple to resolve... I keep getting:

"Invalid Password. You will be allowed to observe but not play games."

when I try to load the VLnL.mod. I can click "ok" to go past that message and poke around with a solitaire game. When I load other game modules I have no problem and am not asked for a password. What am I missing? It does not ask me for a password so I'm not sure how it can be wrong!

Any help in moving forward with this would be greatly appreciated!
Post #: 1
RE: Vassal Password Question - 9/24/2005 1:32:41 PM   
Adam Parker

Hi Steve. Did you input that massively long series of numbers on the back of your CD sleeve?

I have no experience with VASSAL at all and other than poking around myself think I'll be setting the disc aside for a long while as I start playing with my cardboard. I just bought Forgotten Heroes and Anzacs today in fact.

What was your first impression? I was pretty much blown away by the quality of the maps and color components. The counters are a little thin in terms of AH standard but superb in art and I'm lucky to have perspex set up to play the maps - although their paper is stiffer, un-folded and of a more glossy quality than many other games allowing play without imo too.

(in reply to stevel40831)
Post #: 2
RE: Vassal Password Question - 9/24/2005 2:13:38 PM   
stevel40831

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Hi Steve. Did you input that massively long series of numbers on the back of your CD sleeve?

Envision light bulb going off over my head!! Yes, that did the trick, thanks for the help!

First impressions... well, I had been following the BoH forum for a while and it seemed interesting to me although my boardgaming days are over (too many cats and no spare rooms - read "too many teenagers still living at home"). Hesitated, dragged my feet about it and then finally I decided to go ahead and get the LnL Vietnam game while waiting. I had no interest in Vietnam but wanted to learn the system. To be honest, I was afraid that it would be a bit too much like Squad Leader for me, i.e. too many rules which would make it a bit boring for me.

All that being said, I am fascinated by the ease of play and am enjoying my "Vietnam Experience" very much. Trying to learn some of the tactics and get the game rules down for now. All my play has been on Vassal, solitaire (due to the above problem!). I have read the rules to BoH twice now and am anxious for the mod to be done as I won't even try to play it until then.

As far as my impression of the game components... I like the maps although I'm not crazy about the thickness of the hexes. I agree that the pieces seem a bit thin but that's ok as I'm going to play via Vassal all the time anyway. I wasn't even going to unpunch them, but, they were falling off the tree so easily that I had no choice! This is a good thing as I remember the old days having to do battle with the thick trees from AH!

Anyway, having fun poking around with what I have now and am anxious to get clobbered by someone in the future on Vassal!

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate your help!

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 3
RE: Vassal Password Question - 9/24/2005 3:30:16 PM   
Adam Parker

LOL. I've never seen a password with such an unbelievably huge series of numbers that would make the Rain Man happy! Let's stay in touch because I'd love a tutorial one day on how to use Vlnl. I didn't even know it could be used solitaire!

Right now I'm working through the rules (I glanced at the demo version 2 or 3 times but the armor, ord and arty rules weren't supplied there).

FYI a handful of slight rules updates were provided with Anzac's notes. Two I've covered so far are that; half squads can no longer be deliberately created by a player - only combat can cause that result and spotting in based on a dr against target terrain density not morale.

Drop me a line any time and I'll give you more details if you need them.

Post #: 4
RE: Vassal Password Question - 9/24/2005 4:19:16 PM   
stevel40831

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

I didn't even know it could be used solitaire!

FYI a handful of slight rules updates were provided with Anzac's notes. Two I've covered so far are that; half squads can no longer be deliberately created by a player - only combat can cause that result and spotting in based on a dr against target terrain density not morale.

Drop me a line any time and I'll give you more details if you need them.

Actually, when I say "solitaire" I mean playing against myself (i.e. both sides). You can't play against an AI. Regarding the rules, I've barely glanced at the rules for the LnL Vietnam, but did read the rules for BoH twice. I believe that their idea is that the newest rule book covers all their games (explaining why helicopters are in the BoH rulebook). I think that any rules in the BoH book override any others.

Will keep in touch as I'd really like to play against someone else who is learning Vassal & LnL at the same time!

Steve

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 5
RE: Vassal Password Question - 9/24/2005 5:23:56 PM   
Adam Parker

Oh I thought you were still waiting for BoH. No worries, your BoH rules are indeed the final say! Now I envy you

Post #: 6
RE: Vassal Password Question - 9/24/2005 7:17:12 PM   
Ichibrothers

quote:

I think that any rules in the BoH book override any others.

Steve

Correct there Steve. If you read the BoH rules, you can play Forgotten Heroes!

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Vassal Password Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI