Shannon V. OKeets
From: Honolulu, Hawaii
November 1, 2013 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum
The release date is still November 7th.
I purchased two 30 inch monitors (Dell U3014) for my main system and they are just lovely. I am able to place the entire Interactive Delphi Environment (IDE, the source code and compiler stuff) on one screen. On the other I have a 40% vertical strip for my task list and the other 60% for an MWIF game-in-progress. This lets me select a bug to work on, fire up the game to recreate the problem, and examine/modify the code, all without having to open and close windows or scroll about madly in a tiny form.
Of my two old 24" monitors, my wife grabbed one for her Apple computer. So I have both a 24" and my wife’s 17" monitor sitting idle. Sometime in the first half of this month I’ll buy two more computer systems so I can start working on NetPlay for 4 players. I had to replace my graphics card to support two DVI cables for the 30" monitors and I replaced my keyboard & mouse because I had worn them out. The Ctrl and C keys on the keyboard were blank (I wore off the lettering) and the palm rest had a hole in it where my left hand rested. That was after only two years. I really like the Logitech wireless keyboard mouse combination, so I just bought the same thing again. Very little has changed, but the new one is much nicer than my old, heavily worn one.
I’ve also replaced my modem and router (8 years old) with a new modem/router. This virtually doubled the up and down speeds for my internet connection. The DSL line itself will be upgraded by the phone company in the next couple of days from 7 Mbps to 15 Mbps. I should replace my main computer too. It will be 4 years old next month and the salt air in Hawaii really does a job on plastics. It etches away at the metal bits too. But that will have to wait until 2014. I expect it to take at least 2 weeks for me to transfer all my files and software over to a new system. Presently I can’t afford that big a down time from my work.
I have to be doubly sure about any changes I make from now on. I can’t afford to have modifications damage the existing, proven code. There is a never ending list of improvements possible, but I need to keep my eye on the ball and only do those which are important (for one reason or another). Frivolous little stuff doesn’t warrant risking the code base.
Now it is up to you, dear reader, to answer the two crucial questions: (1) how big is the market for this niche product, and (2) how much do players like this Matrix version of World in Flames?
Perfection is an elusive goal.