Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Suggestion - Cav/Inf Situtations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Another Suggestion - Cav/Inf Situtations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Suggestion - Cav/Inf Situtations - 7/15/2005 6:39:31 PM   
ahauschild

One problem I am sure all of you see is the repeated charging of the AI cav against Line/Column to force Square. That is actualy a very valid tactic (besides the point that making square in game has no purpose as you will slaughter cav if you dont).
The problem I see is that with a Enemy Cav next to a infantry in square, they now just form column or line again. Now this most devenitly should not be possible, even for the best of troops. The reason you form square is to protect your rear and flank from the cav that will be swarming you. It boost moral and gives you the capability to fire against cav that is trying to find the chink in your armor.

Basicly I would like to see either a much higher percentage penalty for Infantry in Square that is next to a formed enemy CAV unit, or simply make it not possible. I mean, the Inf forms square since cav charged them, now the cav that stays there should force the square to remain in square.
Post #: 1
RE: Another Suggestion - Cav/Inf Situtations - 7/15/2005 7:06:20 PM   
Uncle_Joe

I dont know. Forcing you to change back from Square to Line/Column already basically costs your unit an entire turn. This can be decisive. Also, if you have cannon nearby, that turn spent in Square can be dangerous.

I just dont want too many things thrown in to an already abstract system. For example, I can have formed Cav sitting right next to one of my Infantry units and yet enemy Cav can still charge my Infantry to their heart's content and my Cav does not get a chance to intervene and countercharge. So, in effect, they are powerless to 'shield' my troops from enemy Cav, forcing me to waste a turn to unsquare. If that wasnt even possible, then it makes the penalty even worse for a situation that likely shouldnt have even occured at all.

Note that I'm not against the idea per se, but I just think that all possible consequences have to be noted due to the inherent abstraction 1) of playing at the divisional level and 2) of playing in an IGO-UGO system.

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Suggestion - Cav/Inf Situtations - 7/15/2005 7:22:21 PM   
ahauschild

I was actuly trying to make the AI a bit tougher with this suggestion, currently his cav spends turn after turn rushing line/column formations again and again forcing them into square. In the mean time my artillery and those that are not squared tear the cav appart. I understand the game is Divisional level, but the basic concepts of Nap warfare still stand. I know that currently the AI in tactical battles can be beaten 90% of the time, even if they have a 4 to 1 manpower advantage. That just is not realistic. The only time I have a problem is if I am foolish enough to have Militia in my army, and he gets lucky and gets to shoot at them before my turn and before I can pull them behind the Line Units.

Quick combat is another story, there the wirdest things happen, I have seen the AI beat my armys that outnumbered him 3 to 1 with my army having a base moral of 6.3 and his army a base moral of 3.2. But I guess even the scrunchiest dog has his day.

It just feels so wrong being able to change from square to Line or Column when I have an Enemy Heavy Cav in line right in front of me.
Specialy since if they force me again, I have another chance not to change into square, and to slaughter another 2000 cav.

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 3
RE: Another Suggestion - Cav/Inf Situtations - 7/15/2005 7:34:36 PM   
Uncle_Joe

I think a lot of the AI's weakness stems from the fact that it lets the human players set up all nice and neat and then throws itself at him. If the AI hung back every once in a while and forced the Human player to move in instead, it could be more challenging.

Also, as noted elsewhere, the AI cavalry engages before the rest of the army can capitalize on it. So, it forces squares when there are no friendly Infantry/Cannon to take advantage of it.

At any rate, what I'd like to see if for Cavalry to retain some movement after forcing a square. That way they could force the square and then withdraw a little (fake the charge rather that be forced to sit there for a turn). Yes, I'm aware that there is an upgrade that sort of allows this, but I think it should be an inherent ability for Cav, one that gets better with the upgrade. I think this could go a long way to allowing the AI (or whoever) to better utilize their Cav without throwing them away after one 'squaring'.

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Another Suggestion - Cav/Inf Situtations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI