Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TCP/IP coming...need new testers!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> TCP/IP coming...need new testers! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 5:15:30 AM   
Paul Vebber

With TCP/IP coming, we need to increase our cadre of testers!

IF you have an interest in the TCP/IP patch, as well as future games in the WaW series - now is the time to join the World Warriors!

email me at paulv@matrixgames.com if you are interested with a littel bit about yourself and the type of system and net conection you have. We need a variety of net connections - cable, DSL, dial up, LAN etc. and machine configs.

Post #: 1
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 2:33:25 PM   
BeeDub

Count me in.

BeeDub

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 6:24:33 PM   
Doobious

I'll help out too!

< Message edited by Doobious -- 7/10/2005 2:07:25 AM >

Post #: 3
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 6:56:58 PM   
Paul Vebber

If you ahve not sent me an email, please do so, and please include your real name and your forum handle, so I can tell who is who.

Thanks!

(in reply to Doobious)
Post #: 4
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 7:37:25 PM   
Franky513

If someone becomes beta-tester: is there a must to play a certain ammount of time each day with other testers, or may each tester choose himself how much and when to play?

For example: I could thest the TCP/IP patch with my private LAN with a friend, but I can't play WAW several hours each day, since I have (unfortunately) to work in order to earn money.

Thanks.

Ciao Frank

Post #: 5
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 9:16:09 PM   
Paul Vebber

Consistency over time, following directions, and quality is more important than quantity - 2 solid 3-4 hour play sessions per week with a good report on each demonastrating an eye to detial is a "minimum" I'd say. We realize playtesters have lives, but need better than "once a week" input of "love the game". THe more you can contribute the better, and a "high quality" tester probably averages 3-4 reports a week representing 12-16 hours with the game. We shoot for that, but realize its not always possible.

It runs the gamut, we need the type of guy that has a "very deep" play session once a week and provides an exhaustive report on possible issues and bugs (and ideas about solutions) - we need some who may have only 30 minutes or an hour, but can respond quickly several times a week to time sensitive tasking with a quick verification of a reported bug, and we need the guys who play consistenty 2-4 times a week and report. We need those who can be given assignments, and respond in a few days with answers. We need experts who have been around, and the voice of those new to gaming. We need a variety of equipment and connections.

There is a "rule of thumb" requirement to contribute at least weekly, and to give the input some thought. IF you go a couple months without providing much, then we reserve the right to do some culling out.

(in reply to Franky513)
Post #: 6
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 9:31:47 PM   
Scott_WAR

A couple of months????????? Heh, I hope its not going to take a couple of months of testing before you get TCP/IP out.

Post #: 7
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 10:01:11 PM   
tactician

Please, add me to that list. I have had the privledge to Beta
Test a game or two. Thank you.

V/R,
Ron Belcher
Clovis, CA

Post #: 8
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/9/2005 10:06:57 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

We realize playtesters have lives

They do?!?

Every day I learn something new

O.

Post #: 9
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/10/2005 7:29:11 AM   
Paul Vebber

SHHHHHH! We'll never get any if you blow it

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 10
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/11/2005 4:45:30 AM   
MikeB

I am interested. I am uncertain of my time. I do have a full time job which with travel time runs from 7am - 630pm.

I have been WWII gaming since about 1979. Ok, I have done some Napoleonics, American Civil War, History of the World, 7 ages currently, etc. I have been playing with 3-4 others on Friday/Saturday nights for past 26 years. Ok, we probably average missing about 10 weekends a year due to this or that.

I also attend the local Ottawa Canada CANGAMES tournaments on an infrequent basis. This is table top gaming, cards for the younger set, and board gaming. It is a 3 day affair with roughly 600-800 attendees.

I started computer gaming in about 82 with an apple II clone(64K ram, 160k floppy "disc" drive). I fondly remember Kampgruppe.

I can generally devote 3 hours to gaming a day. I have been known to call work to announce how sick i am...due to extended playing times.

In house, we have 3 good computers running on a LAN. One has wireless. My 20yr old son likes RTS and my daughters 30 yr old boy friend likes RTS(without delay pause optionality) I admit i dont play much with them. Good computer defined...2ghz, ATI 9200, 1MEG RAM or is that a GIG these days, 20G HD, sons is 3ghz, 60G HD and better graphics. We both have 17 inch monitors.

The net connection is Rogers cable.

I expect a week off in mid August 2005 whereat i will likely invest time in WITP matrix.

Post #: 11
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/11/2005 8:41:00 PM   
Franky513

I'm also interested in the beta-test for TCP/IP. Just like MikeB, I don't have the time to play several hours a day (work, wife, family...), but at least each weekend, I can play this game long enough to give you some hints. Another problem is that English isn't my native language and thus, it might be difficult for me to describe some problems good enough for you to understand.

I'll send you an e-mail, perhaps you need some little help from me.

Thanks!

< Message edited by Frank Klein -- 7/11/2005 8:44:20 PM >

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 12
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/12/2005 6:39:13 AM   
Doobious

I'm excited about being able to play a couple years turns in an afternoon (3 hour) block of time.

I'm ready for the Saturday Afternoon War Gamers Club to start. I think TCP/IP will drasticly change the game.

Note: All games have problems, but this one gives alot of options to counter any problems/opinions... still having fun.... Doob

(in reply to Franky513)
Post #: 13
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/12/2005 7:20:36 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Paul, did you get my e-mail on Saturday?

Leo "Apollo11"

< Message edited by Apollo11 -- 7/12/2005 7:21:13 PM >

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 14
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/15/2005 4:02:17 PM   
TOCarroll

Joel: I would be interested in helping out with testinig TCP/IP. I have a high speed cable modem, with an IBM clone running Windows XP (Home). Real name: Tom O'Carroll, handle(s) TOCarroll or Prussian Tom. Please let me know what I can do.

"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).

Post #: 15
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/15/2005 5:12:56 PM   
Paul Vebber

I will be sending email questionaires out to the testers that applied tonight - if you don't get an email, let me know Saturday. I will inform everyone if they were selected or not on Monday.

Note you have to have sent me an email to get a questionaire - following directions is a critical part of playtesting ;)

Simply posting a note here and not sending an email means you won't get an email...

paulv@matrixgames.com

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 16
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/17/2005 12:51:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

I went through the info folks sent in, and sent back either NDAs or "please apply again in the future" emails - if you applied, and received neither, let me know.

We ran into a little set-back in the internal testing today, so bear with me - I will add the new testers as a group when we have a beta that we are confident will work well for everybody.

I will post here when we are ready.

Thanks again to all who applied, I'm sorry we can't use everybody!

Paul

Post #: 17
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/17/2005 2:34:36 AM   
Franky513

In order to improve the help, I could even play against myself via LAN on two different PC's. In this way, I'm much more independent an can play anytime I want (at night, when wife sleeps)....

Ciao Frank

Post #: 18
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/17/2005 5:16:09 PM   
Maginot

Paul, I did not recieve either of the emails. I'll re-send the email.

(in reply to Franky513)
Post #: 19
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/18/2005 1:30:27 AM   
Paul Vebber

OK, please do so ASAP - We are pretty much full up.

We figured out a weird bug, so I think now things are going to start to move ahead. Once I have the NDA's from most of the new team member I will add them in the Beta Forum and give instructions.

I will continue to keep you all informed of how things progress.

(in reply to Maginot)
Post #: 20
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/18/2005 5:52:02 PM   
BeeDub

Thank you Paul!

BeeDub

Post #: 21
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/18/2005 9:35:07 PM   
Paul Vebber

I have added those who sent me their NDAs to teh Beta forum, I have not heard back yet from several of you I sent NDAs to. Please get back to me by the end of the week.

Those that have sent the NDAs back, check to see if you have access to te GGWaW Beta forum and let me know if you have nay trouble.

(in reply to BeeDub)
Post #: 22
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/20/2005 3:49:22 AM   
bwheatley

I emailed you last night about joining the beta as well as another friend who just bought the game exclusively to hopefully get some tcp gaming in and to shut me up :). Since i wouldn't stop bugging him about getting the game until he did.

So did i miss the cut? My email was bill@williamwheatley.com

Post #: 23
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/20/2005 3:56:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

I'm waiting to see who I get NDA's back from - you are an "A-alternate" right now...as are a couple others stand by. I'll be back to you later in the week.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 24
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/20/2005 5:25:56 AM   
BeeDub

quote:

GGWaW Beta forum

I can't find it.

BeeDub

Post #: 25
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/20/2005 9:00:57 AM   
Joel Billings

If you were signed up, you should see it at the bottom of the main forum page where all the forums are listed.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 7/20/2005 9:01:39 AM >

(in reply to BeeDub)
Post #: 26
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/20/2005 6:49:15 PM   
bwheatley

My mother always told me never to wish anything bad but i wish someone would forget to fill out the info. I would have filled beta forum out sooner but i was out all last week since i went to north florida to see the shuttle (not) launch.

Oh well...Someone forget.....no wammys! no wammys! :)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 27
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/21/2005 1:16:14 AM   
BeeDub

Thanks Joel, I found it, but it's not called the Beta forum. In fact I already forgot what it was called, but it wasn't the Beta forum.

BeeDub

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 28
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/22/2005 3:26:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

An update on online Beta testing - due to some problems that may defy solution before some of the crew take well deserved vacation time, I've not added the 2nd group of new Online beta-testers yet.

If we have some 11th hour success, I will add those of you who do not yet have access ths weekend. If not it will be about 2 weeks.

Sorry for the Delay, but I want to make sure we can constructively use your time before I add you in, get you all excited and you are frustrated with 'issues'...

More later this weekend!

Post #: 29
RE: TCP/IP coming...need new testers! - 7/26/2005 5:59:23 AM   
Paul Vebber

Unfortunately, we were not able to get any further bug stomping. I'll post when i add the next TCP/IP playtest group. It will be about 10 days.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> TCP/IP coming...need new testers! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI