Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Book: Visions from a Foxhole

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Book: Visions from a Foxhole Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Book: Visions from a Foxhole - 5/27/2005 12:56:32 PM   
wodin

Visions from a Foxhole: A Rifleman in Patton's Ghost Corps by Wlliam Foley.

Synopsis
A rifleman from Patton's 'Ghost Corps' tells the fascinating story of the bloody fight to break through Hitler's 'impregnable' Siegfried line at the end of World War II. Eighteen-year-old William Foley was afraid the war would be over before he got there, but the rifleman was sent straight to the front lines, arriving January 25, 1945 - just in time to join the 94th Infantry Division of the XX Corps poised at Hitler's legendary West Wall. By the time Foley managed to grab a few hours' sleep three nights later, he'd already fought in a bloody attack that left sixty percent of his battalion dead or wounded. That was just the beginning of one of the toughest, bloodiest challenges the 94th Infantry Divisions would ever face: breaking through the "impregnable" Siegfried Line. Now, in Visions from a Foxhole, Foley recaptures that desperate, nerve-shattering struggle in all its horror and heroism. As the Battle of the Bulge wound down, the 94th was given the job of cracking the ten-mile-long Saar-Moselle Triangle, a particularly formidable piece of the Siegfried Line. With little or no help from armored divisions, the dogfaces of the 94th bravely squared off against the superior tanks and equipment of the powerful 11th Panzer Division, attacking again and again during the bitter winter of '45. There was no escape from the shrieking artillery, the sudden assault of machine gun fire, the whizzing shards of hot, jagged metal, or the silent deadly mortars that struck without warning. The sounds of bursting shells mixed with the screams of dying men, while the bone-chilling cold claimed soldiers' fingers, toes, and sometimes their lives. Yet the intrepid 94th fought on, destroying more than half of Hitler's seemingly invincible 11th Panzer Division before reaching the Saar River. But the war was not over for Foley and his fellow riflemen. Above the river's far banks loomed four-hundredfoot cliffs, honeycombed with pillboxes and bunkers teeming with snipers - Hitler's second Siegfried Line. And still the infantrymen of the 94th pushed forward, filthy, frozen, starving, fighting, and dying, attacking continuously.

Has anyone else red this book?

Ive just started it and must say so far Im very impressed.

However the most impressive part are his drawings. They are fantastic!

I recommend everyone buy this book not only for the actual reading but to see his amazing pencil rawings.

There is a website mentioned but doesnt actually work:(

Another book Ive just finished reading.......

Five Years,Four Fronts: A German Officer's World War II Combat Memoir
by Georg Grossjohann

Synopsis
A wartime memoir of a former German soldier, who rose from sergeant to major during World War II, combines stark recollections of combat and candid portraits of superiors, peers, and subordinates on four fronts across Europe.

Good little read and well worth a purchase.

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Book: Visions from a Foxhole Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI