Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Program launch (again)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Program launch (again) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 2:10:41 AM   
stretch

Repeat question but I didn’t want to revive an old thread.

On my machine if I launch WiTP from the quick start shortcut it takes over 1 minute to get to the intro graphic. If I launch the game menu first and then click play, it takes less than 10 seconds. It did this with 1.4 and it does it with a clean install of 1.5.

Obviously this isn’t a big deal since I have a 2 click workaround, but I am damn curious why it would launch so differently between the 2 methods. I have done the reg entry that stops updating accessed time on files as per other threads. It didn’t make a measurable change.

Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 2:26:26 AM   
Terminus

That's... interesting I start the game from the Quick Launch via desktop shortcut, and only takes a few seconds to load the intro. You sure your computer is running optimally hardwarewise?

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 2
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 2:44:13 AM   
2Stepper

My first thought stretch is that something is wrong with the video support you have on the system. I THINK its BINK that does the video for the opening parts of the game. I would suggest going into the program folder for WiTP and changing the name of VIDEO over to NOVIDEO, that way you no longer see the opening bits and you can press ahead without the workaround.

Only other suggestion would be to dig into troubleshooting why the video takes so long to process those opening cinematics. I run them myself using a desktop shortcut and the game lots up like a champ.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 4:17:12 AM   
stretch

whoops, I forgot to mention I have done the novideo thing. So it's totally bizarre. Oh well, I've been itching to reinstall the box anyway :) I really am more curious about it than anything else. You'd think both ways of launching the game would be equivalent.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 4
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 4:30:12 AM   
Mr.Frag

What you running in the way of anti-virus software?

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 5
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 6:31:33 PM   
stretch

none. I use common sense and extreme paranoia. havent been hit with one in years. knock on wood.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 6:36:07 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: stretch

none. I use common sense and extreme paranoia. havent been hit with one in years. knock on wood.

Oh dear, oh dear, you didn't actually say that, did you?

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 7
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 7:41:40 PM   
stretch

There are free scanners on the net to check the occasional download before opening.... email is all common sense, never open an attachment. Stay patched and stay alert.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 8:30:02 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

There are free scanners on the net to check the occasional download before opening.... email is all common sense, never open an attachment. Stay patched and stay alert.

Valid point really, Trend Micro's online scanner is as good as the version you'd install on your machine except for the obvious fact that you need to run it and there is no real time protection.

I have had 1 virus in my life due to the fact I had to reload a machine and had to connect to the internet FIRST to get the security fixes downloaded. I knew I was going to get it but couldn't get around the fact that the fix for that virus was *on* the internet.

With XP SP2, out of the box you are blocked unless you open yourself up. Things are certainly getting better. Microsoft has also released a spyware detector for XP.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 9
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 8:36:24 PM   
Terminus

You could check out a company called GriSoft. They make a free antivirus program which is pretty good. free.grisoft.com

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 10
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 9:34:10 PM   
PeteG662

Why do we even need those opening videos? Is it that important for many people?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 11
RE: Program launch (again) - 5/12/2005 9:50:03 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Why do we even need those opening videos? Is it that important for many people?

Not me. I ESCape through the whole opening sequence, and I've disabled in-game sound and the combat animations. Not that they were necessarily annoying, but they slowed the game flow down, and WitP does NOT need to run slower.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Program launch (again) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI