Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Reach For The Stars >> Tech Support >> Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 12:17:36 AM   
willgamer

Just to be clear I thought I'd start a new thread just for v1.40c ctds.

Uninstalled old version. Clean slate install of full v1.40c.

Played campaign 1, scenario 1, no tutorial msgs (no check in any of the 3 boxes).

Successful end; click to advance; ctd...

(if the .exe hasn't changed, my experience running the campaign was that the ctds seemed to come in bunches, 1 or more/turn, then dozens of turns with no probs).

Good Bug Hunting!

EDIT: to say things just got worse when I tried to load the end of scenario 1 save; now it says "can't find Reach For The Stars".

< Message edited by willgamer -- 5/12/2005 2:01:51 AM >

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Post #: 1
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 2:50:43 AM   
smcintyr11

I did a clean install of 1.40c and found that when I tried to load a saved game I also received the error "Can't find reach for the stars campaign"

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 3:12:08 AM   
Erik Rutins

Loading saved games won't work because they reference the previously mis-named files. Sorry about that, I should have mentioned that saved games would not transfer to the updated installer. You can still finish your saved game by reinstalling your original downloaded version if you like.

Regards,

- Erk

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to smcintyr11)
Post #: 3
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 3:12:55 AM   
Erik Rutins

Willgamer,

I've forwarded this to Alex at SSG, who will hopefully be able to help us resolve the issues you are seeing.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 3:42:39 AM   
sabre1

I saved a game under the new 1.40c in the tutorial "Reach for the Stars" and received the message that it could not find the campaign.

I was able to complete the tutorial past where it usually crashed. Progress over perfection, and thanks for such great support.

Now if I can just figure out how to win in this dang game.

Post #: 5
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 5:33:00 AM   
sabre1

In the middle of randomly generated game on the new version. During battle sequence it CTD.

Thanks.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 6
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 5:40:12 AM   
sabre1

Just started the Reach for the Stars campaign. When I clicked on options, it CTD.

Oh well.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 7
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 6:36:44 AM   
willgamer

Erik,

quote:

Loading saved games won't work because they reference the previously mis-named files. Sorry about that, I should have mentioned that saved games would not transfer to the updated installer.

Like Sabre1, I'm trying to load a game I saved under 1.40c. As a workaround, I've renamed the campaign files, deleting the prefix numbers (thus making it just like the original 1.40).

quote:

I've forwarded this to Alex at SSG, who will hopefully be able to help us resolve the issues you are seeing.

I may have found a workaround. I noticed the WINXP module mentioned in the error msg was NTDLL.DLL. Since that's a core module that handles many kinds of calls, I experimented with the compatibility options thru the properties of my desktop shortcut to Reach For The Stars.exe.

TADA! Setting Win98 compatibility has eliminated all ctds for the last 2 hours, including the repeatable one at the end of tutorial 1.

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 8
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 6:56:41 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: willgamer
TADA! Setting Win98 compatibility has eliminated all ctds for the last 2 hours, including the repeatable one at the end of tutorial 1.

Would someone else with problems please try this and let me know if it works for you as well? Just right-click on the RFTS desktop shortcut, click on the Compatibility tab, check that you want to run it in compatibility mode and choose Win98. Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 9
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 7:59:30 AM   
Uncle_Joe

How do we confirm that we actually HAVE 1.40c? As I stated in the other thread, the main screen still lists 1.4 and I still have crashes (even in the tutorial which was supposedly fixed).

So, is the main screen just wrong or does the installer (which says 1.40c) just have the wrong version?

Post #: 10
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 8:08:45 AM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry, if the installer file was listed as v140c then it's correct. That's the third iteration of the v1.40 installer. The game will still say v1.40.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 11
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 8:40:53 AM   
pasternakski

What's this, Erik, another Chinese fire drill? What in the world is "1.40c?" When one has paid twenty bucks and downloaded RFTS 1.40, does one have to re-download an entire 190-some megs of "1.40c?" Does one? What does one do? How does one know if one is downloading "c" as in "chocolate" instead of " " as in "vanilla?"

Sorry. I got up this morning with a taste for stilted language.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 12
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 9:16:12 AM   
Erik Rutins

Pasternakski,

Alternately, you can just download the small v1.40c update and apply that, if you prefer not to re-download the full game.

Basically, the v1.40c version is a correction of some issues with v1.40 that were a result of a glitch with file naming and some files being missions. It's effectively what v1.40 should have been, so the suffix was added to the installation file to make it clear that it was the newer file, while the internal game version stays the same.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 13
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 9:49:32 AM   
pasternakski

Erik, this is about as helpful to me as a limp dildo to a nymphomaniac.

Where is this famous "1.40c" patch? Is it supposed to be applied to the full download version that Matrix is selling for nineteen simoleans and ninety-nine centavos?

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 14
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 2:49:49 PM   
Marc von Martial

What´s wrong with you these days, huh? Bad moods again?

The update will be applied to the master installer, just not immediatly after a patch release.

Post #: 15
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 3:10:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
Where is this famous "1.40c" patch?

Click on the "GAMES" link in the top nav bar, click on the RFTS box in the games list, click on the Downloads link from the RFTS page - voila.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 16
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 7:53:52 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
The update will be applied to the master installer, just not immediatly after a patch release.

Oh, THAT clears everything up.

See, I come from ancestors who speak English like, "I'm gonna throw the cows over the fence some hay," too.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 17
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 8:02:24 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Click on the "GAMES" link in the top nav bar, click on the RFTS box in the games list, click on the Downloads link from the RFTS page - voila.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks, Erik.

You know, you ought to think about cleaning up this site a little. You've got a "support" button that takes you to the "members area" where there are links to "downloads" that say "retail" and all the information is out of date (latest patch for WitP, for example, is said to be 1.40). Then, when you do buy something, you get hopped over to DR, where you'd better bring your download manager if you know what's good for you (they promise resumable downloads, but it ain't that way in practice).

Why would you put a patch in the "games" area, where any quasi-sane person (me not included) would only expect to find the root game itself? One thing that went very wrong here is that you are trying to handle those patching up from the 2000 SSG release in the same place as those buying the 1.40 release. What do you say we streamline things and get a competent editor or site manager on board who can explain clearly to customers where to get their stuff THE FIRST TIME.

It's like trying to order from the Monkey Wards catalog after Grandpa has been usin' 'er in the outhouse for the last two weeks.

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 18
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/12/2005 8:16:37 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Pasternakski,

Alternately, you can just download the small v1.40c update and apply that, if you prefer not to re-download the full game.

Basically, the v1.40c version is a correction of some issues with v1.40 that were a result of a glitch with file naming and some files being missions. It's effectively what v1.40 should have been, so the suffix was added to the installation file to make it clear that it was the newer file, while the internal game version stays the same.

Regards,

- Erik

So, ummm, this 1.40c thing is intended to be installed on a newly-purchased version 1.40 game?

Attachment (1)

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 19
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/13/2005 2:19:21 AM   
PoliciaSanctus

First, I have had many crashes on many different platforms. I have tested the compatiblity option on a saved game where I could not advance past the event log (at the start of a new turn). Windows 95, 98/Me, nor NT worked. I have found that if I redirect a fleet to a different galaxy, ignore a diplomatic option or basically do something different before continuing to the next turn, I can continue the game. I like the game well enough that I just continually save and reload.

In hoc signo vinces +

Post #: 20
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/13/2005 6:14:20 PM   
PoliciaSanctus

I have started a couple of more games going past 120 turns and haven't experienced a crash. The only option I changed was checking/applying the "Autosave" feature. Maybe this feature allows just enough additional time to process everything that is going on? I going to try it on my laptop also to see if it helps there.

In hoc signo vinces +

(in reply to PoliciaSanctus)
Post #: 21
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/15/2005 2:51:07 AM   
Erik Rutins

Pasternakski,

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
You know, you ought to think about cleaning up this site a little. You've got a "support" button that takes you to the "members area" where there are links to "downloads" that say "retail" and all the information is out of date (latest patch for WitP, for example, is said to be 1.40). Then, when you do buy something, you get hopped over to DR, where you'd better bring your download manager if you know what's good for you (they promise resumable downloads, but it ain't that way in practice).

You're right, we should have the patches in one place and there shouldn't be out of date info showing up online. I discussed this with our Webmaster on Friday and we're going to make some improvements over the next week or two to give customers a single unified patch download location that's easy to find from a number of places on the website.

FYI, DR's downloads resume just fine for our other customers - what problems have you had? A download manager is only really important for low speed connections and tools like www.stardownloader.com are free.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 22
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/15/2005 2:52:19 AM   
Erik Rutins

PoliciaSanctus,

quote:

ORIGINAL: PoliciaSanctus
I have started a couple of more games going past 120 turns and haven't experienced a crash. The only option I changed was checking/applying the "Autosave" feature. Maybe this feature allows just enough additional time to process everything that is going on? I going to try it on my laptop also to see if it helps there.

So with the "Autosave" checked you are no longer crashing? All I can say is that SSG is working on trying to duplicate these crashes and I have confidence they'll come up with a solution.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PoliciaSanctus)
Post #: 23
RE: Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash - 5/15/2005 3:05:07 AM   
pasternakski

Thanks again for your friendly, informative attention to customer concerns, Erik. It may not always seem like it, but I am most appreciative of staff efforts on these forums.

Yeah, I'm a low-speeder (56k is all I can get for now where I live, unless I go satellite, which has yet to prove itself to me as a reliable means of receiving information from Internet sites). I made the mistake with RFTS of relying on being able to resume after my IS)P server timed me out. When I use GetRight, I never have any problems, and should have thought to do so this time.

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Reach For The Stars >> Tech Support >> Post v1.40c Tutorial Crash Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI