Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A question regarding retreat paths

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Gary Grigsby's World at War - Support >> A question regarding retreat paths Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 7:38:46 PM   
Badbonez

I am playing a PBEM game as Axis and my opponent invaded Vichy France with a half dozen transports sitting in the western med. The next turn I counter-attacked and retook the territory (barely) but instead of his units retreating (through the transports) they were all destroyed. Plenty of other times I've seen units retreat from combat through transports, why not this time? WAllies do own Gibralter, and there are transports linking the western Med to the UK. What happened here?

I have the game saved after my counter-attack. I don't know if this was a bug and should be reported in the support forum? Or some rule I, and my oponent, are unaware of. Ideas?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 7:40:43 PM   
Barthheart

Were all the units damaged? If so they are then damaged again for having to retreat via transports and would be destroyed.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 2
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 7:46:18 PM   
Badbonez

Ahhh...it pays to RTFM. Yes, I believe I damaged or destroyed every unit that was in VIchy France. So units that retreat through transports become damaged, which would mean these were destroyed. The weird thing was that the game gave me the messsage "Unit unable to retreat" so that's what was confusing.

Thanks.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 3
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 8:28:25 PM   
5cats

Actually I think there were un-damaged infantry, but I didn't go searching to see if they (2 of them) survived or not.
Does this mean Militia cannot retreat? Across the sea I mean.

No Will but Thy Will
No Law but the Laws You make

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 4
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 8:36:50 PM   
Barthheart

That's right, militia will die if retreating to the sea.... important safety tip.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to 5cats)
Post #: 5
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 9:17:16 PM   
Joel Billings

Actually, if you have a save just before the combat, or can set it up again, that would be very helpful. Something isn't quite right here. If you have units forced to retreat over transports, they should be damaged (but damaged units should not be further damaged). I just did a test where the both the damaged and undamaged units retreated over a transport and went back to factories as they should, but I did not get the "unable to retreat" message. If you were getting this message then I think that is a bug. Are you using the 1.016 patch?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 6
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 9:31:27 PM   
Badbonez

Yes, 1.016. I found the email with that game turn and re-set the positions. You may have to attack a couple times, the odds are about 60%. Where do I send it?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 7
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 9:37:16 PM   
Joel Billings

Send it to 2by3@2by3games.com. Thanks.

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 8
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 9:41:47 PM   
MrQuiet

But did they have a retreat path to a factory? No factory on Gibralter. Dont they retreat one land teritory in the direction of a factory that they have a link to?

Just curious.

-MrQuiet

Post #: 9
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/10/2005 9:43:21 PM   
Joel Billings

Good point, if no link to a factory, they would die.

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 10
RE: A question regarding retreat paths - 5/11/2005 12:40:43 AM   
Badbonez

Still doesn't make sense. There was a clear path of transports to the UK. Why would they go to Gibralter and not the UK? I'll send the file shortly.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Gary Grigsby's World at War - Support >> A question regarding retreat paths Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI