Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Taking Gibralter - turn 1?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The War Room >> Taking Gibralter - turn 1? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/4/2005 9:40:30 PM   
Badbonez

I've heard people say taking Gibralter is too easy, but in just trying it against the AI it takes at least two turns because you need to bomb the Arty(assuming you get free reign in the western Med, which I usually don't). Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/4/2005 10:08:32 PM   
Uncle_Joe

Best way to take Gibraltar IMO is France on Turn 1, Spain on Turn 2 and then Gibraltar on Turn 3. If you can mass enough force to crush Spain without needing much air power, you can have your aircraft in France support an invasion (and paradrop) on Gibraltar on Turn 2, but its risky.

The 'safe' route is a 3 turn plan. I dont see much that the Brits can do about it either without sacrificing the security of England herself.

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 2
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/9/2005 4:59:22 AM   
MikeB

Speaking of England....
Has any German ...ever CAPTURED England ???
...besides near the end of a war that is...ie after 1945 and Russia is toast.
I have difficulty seeing how that could be possible but the game is open ended
as to WHEN it ends.

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 3
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/9/2005 6:20:39 AM   
Uncle_Joe

Absolutely. Its quite possible to capture England in 41 if the WAllied player isnt really careful. IMO, the WAllies have to make sure that securing England is their primary goal in 40 and 41 (or at least until Germany attacks Russia). If the WAllies are engaging in all sort of adventures in Africa or raiding in Europe, then Germany can (and probably should) take out England.

On the other hand, if England's goal in the early game is simply not to be captured, then in my experience it can be very difficult for the Germans to take (and still have any hope of beating the Russians, that is).

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 4
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/30/2005 7:27:03 PM   
Flop

OK but now I have a srupid question. I took Gibraltor but I can't invade or paradrop into Moroc to close of the Med. I read in the book that it has to do with the Vichy government but shouldn't I be able to invade?

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 5
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/30/2005 8:00:05 PM   
Maginot

Uncle_Joe, I disagree completely. The Western Allied player should keep the German player engaged and distracted. The best way of securing the security of England, aside from digging in and letting Germany rape your colonies is to pursue an aggresive strategy.

Spain is neutral, and also controls Morroco. If you went through Morroco, then you should be able to land their too.

(in reply to Flop)
Post #: 6
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/30/2005 9:10:35 PM   
5cats

Spain controls that little patch of land just south of Gibralter. Morroco, the bigger Province with the Resource, is Vichy so I'm not sure if you can attack it (as Axis) or not.
Anyhow an Arty in Gibralter pretty much nails the door shut for the Med :)

No Will but Thy Will
No Law but the Laws You make

(in reply to Maginot)
Post #: 7
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/31/2005 2:11:21 AM   
Uncle_Joe

Well, the strat of the day seems to be the '70VA by Fa42'. In that case, yes, England has to play more aggressively. When I first posted that (3 weeks ago), the main strat was trying Sea Lion. If you are off defending every nook and cranny, you WILL lose England to a good German player.

So, IMO, it behooves the WAllies to guard England first, and then do what can be done to keep Germany off balance. If England falls, there isnt much you'll be able to do to stop the AV by Fa42. Playing with FoW on, Germany can mass an impressive number of Tac Air and Fighters and pound England pretty hard.

But since the current trend is to ignore England and focus on the neutrals, then yes, the Allies have to change up or else lose to the AV.

(in reply to Maginot)
Post #: 8
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 5/31/2005 7:06:50 AM   
Maginot

Didn't notice how long ago that post was :)

Anyhoo, if the Axis do not move their Italian fleet aggressivley the Allied player can sieze all non-frozen North Africa on the first turn with a relativley small amount of troops.

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 9
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 6/8/2005 4:58:18 PM   
Badbonez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maginot

Didn't notice how long ago that post was :)

Anyhoo, if the Axis do not move their Italian fleet aggressivley the Allied player can sieze all non-frozen North Africa on the first turn with a relativley small amount of troops.

But why? There's only that one resource in N Africa. Staging ground to hold the middle east?

(in reply to Maginot)
Post #: 10
RE: Taking Gibralter - turn 1? - 6/8/2005 5:50:13 PM   
Maginot

So the Axis can't land fresh troops without using invasion points.

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The War Room >> Taking Gibralter - turn 1? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI