Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Complaint about the AI (defensive)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Complaint about the AI (defensive) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/23/2005 2:05:02 AM   
Rubblestone

I think the AI needs to be tweeked when it comes to its strategy to fall back and stack all its units in one territory (moscow, western germany, tokyo)

when taking out the germans for example, it to easily falls back without defending its important industrial territories (east germany, austria, checkslovakia) same thing in russia (though i somewhat understand why it falls back a little bit) the ai usually just lets you take important industrial and resourse rich territories without even a token fight.

the biggest fault with this strategy i think is in japan, in both my games as the WA, as soon as japan smells defeat it stacks all it troops in tokyo (or whatever central japan is called), leaving the southern part completely empty, alowing the WA to EASILY capture the southern part, then stacking it with troops alowing them to conquer japan the next turn or two. i would think japan would do its best to prevent any troops from landing on the home island since an ampibous assualt is more difficult.
Post #: 1
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/23/2005 6:00:02 AM   
Grotius

I see Japan doing this too, though in my case it's the northern island that Japan left ungarrisoned. Even a couple units there make my job much tougher. With no garrison, I waltz in unopposed -- one unit assaults, 15 strategic-move in afterwards.

(in reply to Rubblestone)
Post #: 2
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/23/2005 6:42:13 AM   
Uncle_Joe

Yes, the AI seems to 'over-react' to threats. When playing as the Allies, it easy to releive pressure on Russia by making a landing somewhere much earlier than historical. The AI will likely 'panic' and grab units from all over the Russian front to rush home and throw the invasion back into the sea. It usually succeeds in doing so, the cost is paid on the Russian front where it will be soundly trounced from then on.

I'd like to eventually see the AI be able to react a little more sparingly to 'spoiler' attacks.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 3
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/23/2005 6:47:34 AM   
aletoledo

well if you're only getting marginal victories or the axis is even winning, it can't be such a horrible strategy. at the very least this has to be some component of its logic, otherwise people will sneak by and sneak attack the capitols.

the thing I hate (which is supposed to get fixed) is when they stack up in their capitols like that, your AI allies will never assist you attacking against such poor odds.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/24/2005 2:11:26 AM   
CommC

Never, ever, ... ever, ..... ever play with AI allies.... its just a waste of time.

(in reply to aletoledo)
Post #: 5
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/24/2005 4:26:24 AM   
AlvinS

quote:

Yes, the AI seems to 'over-react' to threats. When playing as the Allies, it easy to releive pressure on Russia by making a landing somewhere much earlier than historical. The AI will likely 'panic' and grab units from all over the Russian front to rush home and throw the invasion back into the sea. It usually succeeds in doing so, the cost is paid on the Russian front where it will be soundly trounced from then on.

I just tried this for fun. Summer of 43 as WA, I retake Western France. The AI went nuts and pulled almost all of its units from the Eastern Front to counter this move, leaving itself exposed. The Partisan activity alone did more damage than my taking Western France. Of course, now Russia is poised to take advantage of the void.

The AI does pretty well if you stay close to historical and don't throw any curve balls.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to CommC)
Post #: 6
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/25/2005 1:18:36 AM   
marc420

Along the same lines, I just saw the AI abandon the fortress at Leningrad in order to stack all its troops in Moscow. I'm playing Japan this time, so I was just watching when I saw the Germans march into Leningrad completely unopposed.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to AlvinS)
Post #: 7
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/25/2005 1:44:34 AM   
Dalwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: CommC

Never, ever, ... ever, ..... ever play with AI allies.... its just a waste of time.

I always play with AI allies. I see not doing so as giving myself an unfair advantage. After all, each of my opponents is stuck with AI allies.

(in reply to CommC)
Post #: 8
RE: Complaint about the AI (defensive) - 4/25/2005 3:56:23 AM   
CommC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dalwin

I always play with AI allies. I see not doing so as giving myself an unfair advantage. After all, each of my opponents is stuck with AI allies.

Hummm... maybe thats why I always stomp the AI when I play it. Time to play humans, I guess.

(in reply to Dalwin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Complaint about the AI (defensive) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI