Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Retrograde movement required

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Retrograde movement required Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Retrograde movement required - 4/18/2005 12:32:42 AM   
Greyshaft

Its September '42 playing as the Japanese. I'm winning 8/0 in CV and 9/0 in BB and have taken everything between Dacca and Townsville. I built up 8 Div in Calcutta but still hadn't taken the port so I scraped the barrel to round up another 4 Div and sent them in over the beaches. No dice... the Brits still held the Port.

Time to pull my head in I think and then I realise I don't know how to retreat . They are all way less than 50 readiness so even though I have exclusive control of an adjacent city (Dacca) I can't march my boys out of there overland. Do I have to do evacuation TF for all 2,500+ squads?
Post #: 1
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/18/2005 9:51:27 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Pile in as much supply as you can at Dacca and Calcutta in order to raise readiness and then either retreat or give it another try to capture Calcutta. Aslo throw in everything including the kitchen sink support-wise, i.e. numerous bombardment TFs, carrier strikes, LBA bombing ground units.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 2
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/18/2005 2:27:33 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Pile in as much supply as you can at Dacca and Calcutta in order to raise readiness and then either retreat or give it another try to capture Calcutta. Aslo throw in everything including the kitchen sink support-wise, i.e. numerous bombardment TFs, carrier strikes, LBA bombing ground units.

6 CVE/CVL plus 8 BB are giving maximum support from Columbo and have a couple of hundred transports shuttling upplies from Singapore/Saigon/ Medan... heck anywhere they can load up but its still not getting supply above 35.

So how do you retreat troops that are under 50 readiness ?

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 3
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/18/2005 2:33:38 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

6 CVE/CVL plus 8 BB are giving maximum support from Columbo and have a couple of hundred transports shuttling upplies from Singapore/Saigon/ Medan... heck anywhere they can load up but its still not getting supply above 35.

So how do you retreat troops that are under 50 readiness ?

Well, in worst case enemy will cause them to retreat
But I think it should be possible to load them to ships even when under 50 readiness.

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 4
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/18/2005 6:45:21 PM   
Poopyhead

Have the TF's that landed them return with lots of supplies and remain on station. The next turn you should be able to sealift them out and return to port. Strategically, don't chase all the defenders into one base. Next game, invade Dacca early and split the Allied forces in two.

Meanwhile:

Each LCU, TF and airforce base has a higher HQ. Set the objective of these HQs to Calcutta. It's best if the airforce bases have one HQ, the Bombardment TFs a different HQ, same for the Carriers, and the invasion TF's should have one or more different HQs. This spreads the burden of resource allocation around so that your units attack best and focuses your resources on the objective at hand. (If you move the invasion TF HQ's and the LCU's HQ to bases close by, say on Andaman Island and Ceylon, this also helps.)

Of course, the airforce bases should have commanders with high air command ability scores, the surface TFs good surface ability and the invasion TFs high land ablility.

Have aircraft from every nearby base bomb day and night. Find the right size for a TF that is bombarding and make several of them (if you expect no surface engagement, then one or two BB/CA's are enough for each TF). Striking many blows is better than one big one.

Your LCUs should have lots of experience and max readiness. Split them up into several TF's and each invasion TF should have several thousand supply points, too.

I can only show you the door, you must smash it off its hinges.

< Message edited by Poopyhead -- 4/18/2005 6:53:16 PM >

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 5
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/18/2005 10:15:20 PM   
Capt. Harlock

If there is a land march path to a friendly base, it should be possible to raise your readiness above 50. Possibly you simply have too many LCU's for the supplies that are flowing. I recommend you sealift out the most vulnerable units, that is, the ones least entrenched and with the lowest experience. The remaining units should then improve their readiness to above 50.

Possible alternate approach: withdraw enough troops so that the Brits have a 4:1 advantage. This will generally cause them to attack. If you provide air and naval support, the Brits should take huge losses, allowing you to rack up victory points and maybe even weaken them enough to seize Calcutta.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 6
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/19/2005 12:35:57 AM   
Greyshaft

Thanks guys... I will try the multiple TF bombardment and the other suggestions

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 7
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/19/2005 10:03:09 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

6 CVE/CVL plus 8 BB are giving maximum support from Columbo

So where is KB, Junyo etc., the other four BBs, the cruisers? Throw-in the entire Combined Fleet including the 18-knot-CLs in several medium-sized bombardment-TFs - if I say 'and the kitchen sink' I mean it . It's an 'all or nothing' situation!

If you want to evacuate, assemble several evacuation-TFs with ample AP capacity and send them to Calcutta, or sent a transport-TF with enough APs, set them to 'do not retire' and load the troops manually.

Good luck.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 8
Operation Sir Robin - 4/19/2005 10:19:47 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

So where is KB...

Working out of Rabaul and Espiritu Santo with raids on Fiji, Canton Is. etc. to keep the USB at bay. Bagging quite a few DD, AP and MCS plus the occasional CA/CL

quote:

the other four BBs,

Two with KB... Musashi sailing from Japan to Dacca as a reinforcement... hmmm I'll check for the other one

I'll get the APs together and do a 'Sir Robin' to regroup for another assault on Calcutta in early '43

Post #: 9
RE: Operation Sir Robin - 4/20/2005 10:19:26 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

Working out of Rabaul and Espiritu Santo with raids on Fiji, Canton Is. etc. to keep the USB at bay. Bagging quite a few DD, AP and MCS plus the occasional CA/CL

quote:

I'm winning 8/0 in CV and 9/0 in BB

With this lead I think it would be save to leave the Pacific Ocean to Betty for a while and concentrate KB off Calcutta.

quote:

Two with KB... Musashi sailing from Japan to Dacca as a reinforcement... hmmm I'll check for the other one

Pull the BBs out of KB, their AA values are not that good anyway but their big guns may score against the Poms.

'Sir Robin'? I can guess the meaning, but could you please explain the origin of this term?

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 10
RE: Operation Sir Robin - 4/20/2005 10:16:23 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

'Sir Robin'? I can guess the meaning, but could you please explain the origin of this term?

It comes from a sequence in the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". On of the knights, Sir Robin, is accombanied by several troubadors on his quest. The knight encounters a three-headed giant, as the troubadors sing that Sir Robin is brave and stands firm in spite of the potential harm, which they describe in daunting detail. The giant's heads start to argue over exactly what they should do to Sir Robin, who takes advantage of their distraction to scamper away, accompanied by the troubadors, who change their tune to "Sir Robin is running away, away..."

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 11
Lyrics for Operation Sir Robin - 4/21/2005 12:46:01 AM   
Greyshaft

[trumpets]
NARRATOR: The Tale of Sir Robin. So, each of the knights went their separate ways. Sir Robin rode north, through the dark forest of Ewing, accompanied by his favourite minstrels.
MINSTREL: [singing] Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,
Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken,
To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
And his pen--

SIR ROBIN: That's-- that's, uh-- that's enough music for now, lads. Heh. Looks like there's dirty work afoot.
DENNIS: Anarcho-syndicalism is a way of preserving freedom.
WOMAN: Oh, Dennis, forget about freedom. We haven't got enough mud.
ALL HEADS: Halt! Who art thou?
MINSTREL: [singing] He is brave Sir Robin, brave Sir Robin, who--
ROBIN: Shut up! Um, n-- n-- n-- nobody, really. I'm j-- j-- j-- ju-- just, um-- just passing through.
ALL HEADS: What do you want?
MINSTREL: [singing] To fight and--
ROBIN: Shut up! Um, oo, a-- nothing. Nothing, really. I, uh-- j-- j-- just-- just to, um-- just to p-- pass through, good Sir Knight.
ALL HEADS: I'm afraid not!
ROBIN: Ah. W-- well, actually I-- I am a Knight of the Round Table.
ALL HEADS: You're a Knight of the Round Table?
ROBIN: I am.
LEFT HEAD: In that case, I shall have to kill you.
MIDDLE HEAD: Shall I?
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, I don't think so.
MIDDLE HEAD: Well, what do I think?
LEFT HEAD: I think kill him.
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, let's be nice to him.
LEFT HEAD: Oh, shut up.
ROBIN: Perhaps I could--
LEFT HEAD: And you. Oh, quick! Get the sword out. I want to cut his head off!
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, cut your own head off!
MIDDLE HEAD: Yes, do us all a favour!
LEFT HEAD: What?
RIGHT HEAD: Yapping on all the time.
MIDDLE HEAD: You're lucky. You're not next to him.
LEFT HEAD: What do you mean?
MIDDLE HEAD: You snore!
LEFT HEAD: Oh, I don't. Anyway, you've got bad breath.
MIDDLE HEAD: Well, it's only because you don't brush my teeth.
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, stop bitching and let's go have tea.
LEFT HEAD: Oh, all right. All right. All right. We'll kill him first and then have tea and biscuits.
MIDDLE HEAD: Yes.
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, not biscuits.
LEFT HEAD: All right. All right, not biscuits, but let's kill him anyway.
ALL HEADS: Right!
MIDDLE HEAD: He buggered off.
RIGHT HEAD: So he has. He's scarpered.
MINSTREL: [singing] Brave Sir Robin ran away,
ROBIN: No!
MINSTREL: [singing] Bravely ran away, away.
ROBIN: I didn't!
MINSTREL: [singing] When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
ROBIN: No!
MINSTREL: [singing] Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
ROBIN: I didn't!
MINSTREL: [singing] And gallantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet,
ROBIN: I never did!
MINSTREL: [singing] He beat a very brave retreat,
ROBIN: All lies!
MINSTREL: [singing] Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin.
ROBIN: I never!

Post #: 12
RE: Lyrics for Operation Sir Robin - 4/21/2005 9:44:37 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Ah, I see. The name sounded familiar but I couldn't link it. i know this film of course but only in the German translation . The scene with the witch is very funny, and so are the Frenchies at the castle - 'Verpisst euch, ihr schwulen Engländer' .

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 13
RE: Retrograde movement required - 4/21/2005 3:20:02 PM   
Poopyhead

Nun fuer etwas total anders.
(Now for something completely different.)

< Message edited by Poopyhead -- 4/21/2005 4:33:46 PM >

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 14
Sir Robin is winning. - 4/22/2005 12:27:32 AM   
Greyshaft

I've successfully evacuated 6 XX so far in two turns. The only excitement was a British attack after the first evacuation but they lost 200+ squads and I lost 20 so it didn't really change my plans. I also sunk another British battleship (Ramilles class) in a port attack so that makes it 10-zip.

The missing Japanese BB turned up in my bombardment group. I miscounted.

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 15
RE: Sir Robin is winning. - 5/2/2005 10:45:46 AM   
deVada

As for disappearing ships - it might sometimes happen in PBEM game if someone is using floppies to transfer files. Anyway, I know a way to see and eventually restore to action all Japanese sunk ships, so contact me in such cases. Same as task forces stuck in Auckland area.

the more You play - the less You understand ... :p

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 16
How do you win? - 5/3/2005 12:55:13 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: deVada
As for disappearing ships - it might sometimes happen in PBEM game if someone is using floppies to transfer files. Anyway, I know a way to see and eventually restore to action all Japanese sunk ships, so contact me in such cases. Same as task forces stuck in Auckland area.

Thanks, but the "missing" ship was just a result of my miscounting.

I've now got all of India, all but three locations in China, taken Darwin but still am nowhere near getting 2:1 in points. What do you have to take to win this game???

(in reply to deVada)
Post #: 17
RE: How do you win? - 5/3/2005 1:45:04 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

What do you have to take to win this game???

Take Frisco .

I've managed to win the war for the Japanese only once, by taking India, Aussieland, Pearl and finally San Franciso in late 1943, before the Essex class CVs arrive in large numbers. But most od the time I played the Allies, so there might be another way for the Empire. Maybe you must use the dark side of the force .

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 18
RE: How do you win? - 5/3/2005 4:36:28 PM   
Poopyhead

Los Angeles.
LA has lots of victory points because of its industry. I've tried invading Alaska and I took everything down to Frisco, but it is not enough. Send your entire fleet and the best of your army to Midway. From Midway, move out and remain on station outside of the range of any aircraft from the west coast. The next turn, resupply at sea, and then do to LA what you did to Calcutta. It is a tough fight, to say the least.
Or you can wait in port and hope to save up enough oil to get a bonus on your Victory Point total, but this is not the way of the warrior>

Post #: 19
RE: How do you win? - 5/3/2005 10:15:34 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Or you can wait in port and hope to save up enough oil to get a bonus on your Victory Point total, but this is not the way of the warrior

That's a long wait: in Version 3.2, the Kill Point Multiplier doesn't kick in until 1946. IMHO, this is a major mistake. The multiplier used to provide a way for the Japanese to win the game, now it's only a way to prolong the agony.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 20
RE: How do you win? - 5/6/2005 3:49:37 PM   
ancient doctor

I was always thinking that in 1944-45 the kill multiplier for japs kick in.Anyway i usually win by 1943.Getting China of the way helps you to move the divisions of 6th Area army which by the time are pretty good veterans to the mountain areas before India.These plus some good units of 15th Army comming from Burma and some air cover gan gain you India or a big part of it.Remember every squad/art.piece/tank you kill gives you points and early on CW isnt very worthy opponent in terms of everything.You can also go for port Moresby and Australia and thus force the allied player to commit divisions early on when you have the initiative and the quality.

Post #: 21
Hitting ships - 5/9/2005 12:39:58 AM   
Greyshaft

I've got all of India now... the British fleet was last seen steaming for NZ :)
China is down to their last town and I've got Japanese 10 divisions in there keeping them company.
Jap Naval air is guarding convoy routes and Jap Army air is helping in Australia.
Perth, Darwin, Port Moresby, Caairns and Townsville are mine and KB is based in New Caledonia in order to raid Fiji.
My biggest problem is that I set KB to attack TF or "Ships in Port" but it keeps making strikes on the Fiji airfields. I bag 3-4 planes on the ground each time but I *KNOW* there are ships to be sunk in the same location. I see them returning to port there every turn.

How do I convince KB to hit ships rather than tarmac - it just ignores the setting I put in "Move Option"

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 22
RE: Hitting ships - 5/9/2005 10:29:17 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

My biggest problem is that I set KB to attack TF or "Ships in Port" but it keeps making strikes on the Fiji airfields. I bag 3-4 planes on the ground each time but I *KNOW* there are ships to be sunk in the same location. I see them returning to port there every turn.

This is one of the annoying features of Pacific War: the local commanders will ignore their airstrike orders if there are "more valuable" targets in the area. And the game decides what are the most valuable targets. It is very difficult for American airstrikes on the Home Islands to hit anything but supply depots and factories, because these are considered to be the prime targets.

There is one thing you can try. Set some of the individual squadrons on board the carriers to "Naval Interdiction". Planes with this mission can attack either TF's or ships in port, but nothing else. For this reason it's important to switch the squadrons back to "Day Combat" as soon as you're done killing ships. Also make sure the area has your search planes going over it in reasonable numbers.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 23
RE: Hitting ships - 5/10/2005 4:44:52 PM   
Poopyhead

Also, if you have an aggressive commander in charge, he will attack what the AI thinks is a better target. Try putting some wuss in charge of the TF and see if he is more obedient.

Post #: 24
RE: How do you win? - 5/23/2005 11:10:01 PM   
Blum

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: deVada

aah.
i got a jap TF stuck in the Auckland region with 3 Divisions ...
i would appreciate help (for a next time since i bailed out of this game 1 year ago)

in oddities, i had once a full TF (including CVE) becoming Allied vessels ... funny to have an carrier TF with some yellow carriers in the middle og it !

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 25
RE: How do you win? - 5/24/2005 12:24:24 PM   
deVada

Hi !
Please send the file with the password to devada@op.pl adress.
I'll try to get them out.
:)

the more You play - the less You understand ... :p

(in reply to Blum)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Retrograde movement required Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI