Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will there be a Windows version?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Will there be a Windows version? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will there be a Windows version? - 9/29/2000 1:53:00 AM   
Fuerte

I didn't find a roadmap for Pacific War development anywhere. Will there be a Windows version or is this the final one? The interface seems a bit "odd" after using only Windows programs for so many years. Also the various problems with not enough DOS memory would be gone. How about it?

Post #: 1
- 9/29/2000 6:00:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte: I didn't find a roadmap for Pacific War development anywhere. Will there be a Windows version or is this the final one? The interface seems a bit "odd" after using only Windows programs for so many years. Also the various problems with not enough DOS memory would be gone. How about it?
Yes, there is going to be a Windows version. Its called "War in the Pacific", ring a bell?

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 2
- 9/29/2000 9:19:00 PM   
Fuerte

Oh I see... the web page does not seem to mention Pacific War anywhere. So "War in the Pacific" is really a Windows version of "Pacific War"? Is is going to be free as well?

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 3
- 9/30/2000 9:20:00 AM   
Nii Jima

As I understand it, War in the Pacific is a new game being developed by Matrix (in conjunction with The Great Grigsby himself). It will be a native Windows game. Pacific War is the name of Grigsby's previous effort in this field. It is a DOS-only game, and the version just released by Matrix is only a kind of super-patch to tide everyone over until War in the Pacific is released. There. Hope I got that right. Anyone who knows better, please post appropriate corrections.

The Marines of WWII. No Rambos they, only true heroes.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 4
- 9/30/2000 3:11:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte: Oh I see... the web page does not seem to mention Pacific War anywhere. So "War in the Pacific" is really a Windows version of "Pacific War"? Is is going to be free as well?
Sorry, I should have said something better than the quip I gave you. War in the Pacific (WitP) is a completely new game, built from the ground up as a Windows game, but has similarities with Pacific War (PAC). However, WitP goes *way* beyond PAC in features and capabilities, but it will not be free, we'll have to pay for this one. Because of several limitations, PAC will not be significantly improved beyond what it is now. Matrix has to make money to survive, so they must spent their greater efforts on the games they will sell. Giving us a free update/bug-fix version of PAC and WiR is their gift to the wargaming community. And a wonderful gift, indeed.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 5
- 10/1/2000 12:13:00 AM   
Jim_von_Krieg

Howdy guys, Just some rambling on my part... I've been watching Matrix since it was first brought to my attention by a friend of mine up in the Seattle area. Matrix has done a lot for the wargaming community to build good will which includes this update, the WIR 2.0 update, and their most excellent development of SPWAW (Essentially a whole new game of Steel Panthers in itself probably worth $35-$45). What did these three games cost me? Nothing... So,IMHO, we can let them make a dollar or two with War in the Pacific! I'm willing to pay for a quality game set in the Pacific by Grigsby! LOL, drool, drool... After all, if Matrix doesn't make money, they won't be around long. A company like Matrix that has, at least IMO, demonstrated good will to us wargamers, ie the consumers, at a level I've rarely seen from ANY company. I can support a group of guys with that kind of attitude. Many of the names involved in these projects I recognize as long time wargamers and some of our own! I like software companies that listen to their fan base and throw goodies our way. However, I know this is way too good to last without them making a profit. So, produce some quality games and earn some of my cash. ;-) Jim vK

Jim von Krieg
Blitzkrieg CO

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 6
- 10/1/2000 1:43:00 AM   
VictorH

I just finished reading a book for an MBA class I'm taking called: "Built to Last". It defines the characteristics of companys that are "Visionary" and have been around for at least 50 years. Matrix, is following that pattern of behavior. I will buy any wargame the sell, and yes they must make money to survive. Let's help them survive and prosper. [This message has been edited by VictorH (edited September 30, 2000).]

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 7
- 10/1/2000 5:51:00 AM   
Fuerte

Amen.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 8
- 10/1/2000 6:56:00 AM   
Nimits

Will this new game be similar to the long-in-development Pacific Tide? Of course, I am still waiting for an orperational level Pacific war gamee, or better yet, a game that combines strategic and operational levels (a la Napolean 1813 or Civil War Master Player Edition).

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 9
- 10/1/2000 1:02:00 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Well, I would prefer a game which combines PacWar and Burning Steel, i.e. "continuous time" instead of turn-based, the whole strategic stuff PacWar has and the option to jump into the tactical level if a surface or carrier battle occurs. I'm dreaming even of some kind of modules, like the strategic game as a basic platform, and those tactical battles as "mission disks". Could also be enhanced to Subs (like Silent Hunter), Air and Land. Would be the game of the century, and I'm playing computer games since the good old C64 (someone remembers "Crusade in Europe"? I still play it.) ------------------ Robinson Crusoe was the only person who got all his work done by Friday.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Will there be a Windows version? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI