Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Factories

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Factories Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Factories - 4/12/2005 9:59:25 AM   
Svend Karlson

Hi,

I'm very new to advanced supply, and the one time I tried it I noticed it seemed impossible to make any repairs in western france on the first German turn as supply trucks could get no further than the Netherlands.

Am I missing a trick here?

I do wonder whether it is possible to move a transport out to Dogger bank and move supplies that way, presumably dooming the transport but getting the benefit of earlier repairs.

Any replies welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 10:19:34 AM   
Kampferzähn

I think you can repair things with supply from adjacent regions too, atleast in the game I am playing you can.

Example; stuff in Western France can be repaired with supply currently in Eastern France/Netherlands.

(in reply to Svend Karlson)
Post #: 2
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 10:25:19 AM   
aletoledo

did you repair the railroad in the netherlands first? then you can get the supplies through.

(in reply to Kampferzähn)
Post #: 3
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 6:17:55 PM   
Svend Karlson

Well yes, I repaired the railroad in Netherlands, but to use strategic movement the railroad in the target province needs to be repaired too - and thats the problem - it isn't.

With supplies sitting in the Netherlands, Western France factories and rail still show up as being greyed out in the repair screen i.e. you cannot repair them.

(in reply to aletoledo)
Post #: 4
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 6:38:09 PM   
artgrtr8u

Can you move supplies in via air transport with a heavy bomber?

Post #: 5
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 6:43:58 PM   
Barthheart

You should not have to resort to heavy bombers.

If you actually have 5 supplies in the Netherlands and can't repair the rail in West France, send a save of the game to 2by3 games and describe the problem. Just make sure that you have checked everything.

I have never had a problem of repairing all of France oafter it has been conqured... as long as there are enough supplies and in the right places. If the rail in east France is out, try fixing it first as well. I can't remember the order I do things, so it might be important.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to artgrtr8u)
Post #: 6
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 8:59:18 PM   
carnifex

quote:

Well yes, I repaired the railroad in Netherlands, but to use strategic movement the railroad in the target province needs to be repaired too - and thats the problem - it isn't.

That's not the problem. You can repair infrastructure in Western France using supplies from ANY adjacent source; either a province (in this case the Netherlands) or a sea zone with a transport loaded with supplies.

quote:

With supplies sitting in the Netherlands, Western France factories and rail still show up as being greyed out in the repair screen i.e. you cannot repair them.

How much supply do you have there? Need at least 5 per repair.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 7
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 9:52:50 PM   
aletoledo

doesn't southern france get a boatload of supplies after it goes vichy anyway?

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 8
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 10:05:12 PM   
Paul Vebber

Only if you move them there or are playing with supply help.

(in reply to aletoledo)
Post #: 9
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/12/2005 11:04:21 PM   
Svend Karlson

Okay guys - thanks for the help. I tried out your suggestions tonight as I'm starting my first multiplayer, with advanced supplies for the first time.

The French industry (such that it is) has been rebuilt! I'm sure it will run more efficiently now it is in safe hands

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 10
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/13/2005 1:38:18 AM   
Dalwin

What I usually do is repair one step of rail in the Netherlands and one step in France. I have never had trouble repairing the resources and some of the factories on the first turn. I then do the remaining factories on the second turn if I bother with them at all.

If a person repaired two steps of rail in the Netherlands you could probably repair all of the French production on the first turn. I am just not convinced that this is a good economic move in the long run.

Post #: 11
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/13/2005 3:09:47 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dalwin
If a person repaired two steps of rail in the Netherlands you could probably repair all of the French production on the first turn. I am just not convinced that this is a good economic move in the long run.

?

Why? Repairing Franch factories and resources ASAP is certainly advisable.

And it can be done. Germany starts with enough supplies to repair everything it can conquer in first turn. I am not sure if Yugoslav resources and rail can be repaired, for those players that attacl Yugo on the first turn, but I never do that, nor would I advise that course of action anyway (feel free to do it if it suits your style though).

I usually repair all captured resources and factories, but leave some rail unrepaired.

O.

(in reply to Dalwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/13/2005 3:30:12 AM   
ratprince

Guys;

Actually, there are enough supplies in Germany, turn 1 (1940) to capture and repair all of the resources in: France, Netherlands, Norway and Yugolslavia

Additionally there are enough to repair both factories in Western France (and some rail there and Netherlands)

I would say if you capture a resource and dont have enough supply to get it up and running for that production phase...why capture it? This game is ALL about economics. If you can pile up stacks of resources (while at a low factory multiplier) then in the middle and late game, if you are having trouble holding on to resource centers, you will have some in reserve.

TIP 1: Always repair resources unless on a contested front line
TIP 2: Always repair factories IF you have the resources to support them
TIP 3: Repair rail ONLY when necessary and repair a turn BEFORE you need it

Short list of ideas to help out....

later!

Mike

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 13
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/13/2005 5:20:49 PM   
carnifex

the only rail lines i never fully repair as the axis are denmark and norway. they only get one step.

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 14
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/13/2005 8:59:16 PM   
IDrinkBeer

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

the only rail lines i never fully repair as the axis are denmark and norway. they only get one step.

Those are two I never repair...

IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 15
RE: Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Fact... - 4/13/2005 10:57:46 PM   
Dalwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dalwin

?

Why? Repairing Franch factories and resources ASAP is certainly advisable.

And it can be done. Germany starts with enough supplies to repair everything it can conquer in first turn. I am not sure if Yugoslav resources and rail can be repaired, for those players that attacl Yugo on the first turn, but I never do that, nor would I advise that course of action anyway (feel free to do it if it suits your style though).

I usually repair all captured resources and factories, but leave some rail unrepaired.

O.

I definitely always repair the resources ASAP. I usually do the factories also, however, I find myself before long without enough resources to feed the ones in Western France. I just mentioned that I am considering only repairing one of those three in the future. I prefer to run a factory in Leningrad and Kiev since those are easy to hold for at least a few turns after capturing them. I like to get the supplies that close to the front to reduce the need for transport.

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Enquiry: Advanced supply + Repairing W. France Factories Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI