Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Timeline on Battleline?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Timeline on Battleline? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Timeline on Battleline? - 5/14/2001 2:55:00 PM   
przy

Looks like a great project shaping up. Just wondering when do all of you think it will be done? Thanks :D

"Woof, Woof"
Post #: 1
- 5/17/2001 4:34:00 AM   
przy

Anyone? ;) :confused:

"Woof, Woof"

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 2
- 5/17/2001 4:39:00 AM   
przy

Are we there yet?

"Woof, Woof"

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 3
- 5/18/2001 1:15:00 AM   
Ludovic Coval

Sorry, but Erik experimented some difficulties with his computer and probably did not have time to go here. Unfortunately he is the man who hold your response :-) Regards, Ludovic Coval.

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 4
- 5/19/2001 2:45:00 AM   
przy

Thanks for the reply, I did not mean to come on as rude. Just curious to know is all. Thanks :D

"Woof, Woof"

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 5
- 6/5/2001 10:03:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

Battleline remains on Matrix Games' 2001 schedule, but ultimately I have to say that we will release it when it is ready. While a great deal has been finished and Battleline is looking great, a lot remains to be done. The next update to the graphics is in progress, sounds and music are also being worked on. In the meantime, a lot of work is being put into the intel and interdiction code and many useful game and interface features have been added to make this a user-friendly wargaming experience. We certainly appreciate the interest. As more information becomes available, it will be posted on the Battleline website and announced here. Regards, - Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 6
- 6/11/2001 11:40:00 AM   
davidcarrell

Looking foward to it

MSG Jerry M. "Mad Dog" Shriver US Special Forces 24 APR 69 Cambodia *POW/MIA* You Are Not Forgotten www.taskforceomegainc.org

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 7
- 6/12/2001 12:18:00 AM   
Ilkka

quote:

Originally posted by Erik Rutins: In the meantime, a lot of work is being put into the intel and interdiction code and many useful game and interface features have been added to make this a user-friendly wargaming experience.
Well the intel in Battleline will apparently be a new step in wargames if I understand it correctly so take your time with it. Also, nevermind if it takes time, but please do keep the user-friendly interface in mind all the time, and I am sure you do. It's not that I would think it more valuable than a realistic combat results system, but I think an easy interface is always something to consider about. It doesn't need to be beautiful, just clear and easy to learn and use. It's the enemy and his strategies that I should fight against, not an interface. Ilkka

May Chuck Schuldiner's soul rest in peace at the great halls of Valhalla. We all miss you.

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 8
- 6/12/2001 12:09:00 PM   
Grisha

What I would really like to see is somebody come out with a wargame that allows for the use of deceptive deployment as practiced by the Soviets. Nobody practiced maskirovka anywhere near to the degree that the Soviets did from mid 1943 until war's end. Unfortunately, this was so unique to the Soviet method of war that it might not be cost-effective in terms of game development purposes, since most other combatant nations only tried military deception on rare occasions.

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 9
- 6/13/2001 1:46:00 AM   
Ilkka

quote:

Originally posted by Grisha: What I would really like to see is somebody come out with a wargame that allows for the use of deceptive deployment as practiced by the Soviets. Nobody practiced maskirovka anywhere near to the degree that the Soviets did from mid 1943 until war's end. Unfortunately, this was so unique to the Soviet method of war that it might not be cost-effective in terms of game development purposes, since most other combatant nations only tried military deception on rare occasions.
Ditto on that, although the Russian deception was and is a bit out of scale I think as it is a part of operational-strategic planning whereas Battleline seems to focus upon grand tactical-operational combat. The Strategic re-deployment of Russian forces created an operational surprise in certain area, and in battline the players are just dealing with that area. That is: the operational surprise made by the deception is part of a scenario initial set-up rather than taking place during the scenario. As for other forces than Russians, strategic deception was also used by Allies prior to and during the landing at Normandy. See also German offensive at the Ardennes in winter 1944. Ilkka

May Chuck Schuldiner's soul rest in peace at the great halls of Valhalla. We all miss you.

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 10
- 6/13/2001 5:27:00 AM   
Grisha

quote:

Originally posted by Ilkka: As for other forces than Russians, strategic deception was also used by Allies prior to and during the landing at Normandy. See also German offensive at the Ardennes in winter 1944. Ilkka
Those occasions are what I was alluding to when I stated that other combatant nations had on rare occasions resorted to deception. Wouldn't the German's France '40 campaign also be a possible candidate?

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 11
- 6/13/2001 7:32:00 AM   
gators

Is there a dividing line between maskirova and strategic deception; or are they trancslations of the same concept? Wasn't Bagration set up by a strategic deception, and wouldn't Armee Gruppe Patton be classic maskirova? :confused:

"It ain't the gun, Sonny. It's the operator" Bob the Nailer

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 12
- 6/13/2001 12:07:00 PM   
Grisha

quote:

Originally posted by freyburg: Is there a dividing line between maskirova and strategic deception; or are they trancslations of the same concept? Wasn't Bagration set up by a strategic deception, and wouldn't Armee Gruppe Patton be classic maskirova? :confused:
Actually, maskirovka can be on many levels from tactical to strategic. So, strategic deception could be considered a subset of maskirovka. Yes, Bagration was considered part of a strategic maskirovka operation that spanned the entire front, and Patton's 'ghost army' would definitely be considered maskirovka. While maskirovka was used mainly in the initial stages of an operation, it was also used as needed in fluid situations like the Dnepr battles. In one instance, at least, it was even used during an actual exploitation maneuver. Also, forward detachments were used extensively in tactical maskirovka measures, usually to confuse the Germans of the main point of advance. The thing about effective maskirovka is that it takes a well trained and disciplined army to pull off, which is why the Soviets only started to get good, consistant results from about mid-1943. The other thing is in order to keep maskirovka effective takes imaginative and original thinking on the part of the commanders, since an experienced enemy picks up on his opponent's patterns fairly quickly. Maskirovka can almost be categorized as part of the realm of psychological warfare.

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to przy)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Timeline on Battleline? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI