Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The manual?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The manual? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The manual? - 3/29/2005 5:25:41 PM   
Kung Karl

I've read some posts that says you realy need to read through the manual and some posts say this game is realy easy to learn. Those two statesment doesn't go with eachother.

Wich one is it? Is the game easy to learn or do you need read the manual very extensive?

Reason for asking this is if I am going to buy the game retail or vid DD. If I buy it via DD I won't read the manual very much, only if there are some details I don't get.

So, is the turtorials enough to learn the game or should I wait for the retail release, wich also is more expensive for me to buy than DD?

Help me out guys!

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: The manual? - 3/29/2005 5:31:28 PM   
MButtazoni

easy to learn, difficult to master.

the basics (mechanics, concepts) can be learned in 20 minutes, all the details (production, research, logistics) will take months to master.

no matter which one you buy, you will read the manual. i'm sure of that.

Maurice Buttazoni
Project Coordinator, Playtest Coordinator

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 2
RE: The manual? - 3/29/2005 11:05:54 PM   
Adam Parker

KK you will imo need the manual to follow what's going on.

That said, I've only had time to touch the surface with the game and the DD manual which I printed.

Without reading a word, I clicked an icon, intuitively saw units move from German occupied Poland into the Soviet east, saw an icon whose mouse-over said attack, clicked it, watched a 3d combat screen appear, found a close button, won my first WW battle and then watched the Soviet Union declare war on me "Let's not do that again!" I said to myself

In a nut-shell then, pretty intuitive interface for the basics but a whole lot of intricacy in the manual. From experience with any type of strategic sim, the long-distance move and invasion routines will be the hardest to master - here the rule book will be essential. Third Reich PC needed 2 manuals to explain its, Axis & Allies 1 PC really garbeld its imo - couldn't fathom it. From reading the posts here there's already conflicting opinions as to the transport strength needed in a series of areas leading to an end travel zone - so it's off to the WW rulebook for sure.

As for the rulebook itself, though again yet to go cover to cover, there's a brief defintion section near the front that almost requires an English Lit degree to interpret! Something about hostile nations... But I do applaud the effort to use more words in order to be clear. Better to be wordy and complete when it comes to grognards

Adam.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 3
RE: The manual? - 3/29/2005 11:09:45 PM   
aletoledo

everyone will use the manual, I can't conceive of anyone not. perhaps the developers themselves are the only ones that won't need to spend at least an hour reading through it.

therefore if you don't like spending that amount of time reading a monitor and scrolling back and forth through PDF documents, then the retail manual is definitly for you.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 4
RE: The manual? - 3/30/2005 11:36:29 AM   
Kung Karl

Could ´not wait, have bought the DD version. I live in Sweden so it was the best option I reckon.

I'm reading the manual on the monitor now, the look of the game is realy deciving. It is much deeper than it appears. Very good manual though.

Great game!

(in reply to aletoledo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The manual? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI