Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where and When to Get World At War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Where and When to Get World At War Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 1:51:31 AM   
David Heath

Hello Everyone

We know there has been long delays in us getting this title out but we wanted to bring you the best possible game. Gary Grigsby's World At War has already started winning awards and now you will be able to see why. Gary Grigsby's World At War will be available starting the week of March 28th. You will be able to find Gary Grigsby's World At War at the following retailers

Walmart Canada
EB World
GameStop
Sam's Club Canada
Staples
Zedellers
CompuSmart
CompuCentre
Best Buy
Futureshop
Fry's
CompUSA
Circuit City
J & R
Microcenter

Some retailers may have the game in their shops over the weekend so please check with you local stores first before running out. The MSRP is $39.99 and comes with a printed manual. Our Digital Download version will be available on Monday March 28th for $39.99 and will come with a PDF manual. There will be no Game On Demand option at this time.

Once again we thank you for your support and we look forward to hearing what you think.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/24/2005 1:56:49 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 3:33:19 AM   
ratprince

Mr. Heath;

Thank you for the confirmation/update! I am sure all of us awaiting this groundbreaking game will be delighted once it is in our hands!

Thank you again for all of your hard work and dedication to the die hard strategy wargamers across the land.

The wait is almost over...I can hear the engines....smell the cordite.....ahhh it will be good!

Later;

Mike

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 5:00:05 AM   
Rocco

Do you guys know which stores might have it this weekend, or that just a catchall?

Thanks

Rocco

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 3
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 5:25:29 AM   
mbatch729

Great timing David. Tomorrow, the wife and kids leave for the beach for 10 days. That'll leave me a week of uninterrupted get-acquainted time w/WaW. (Minus WiTP turns, of course).

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to Rocco)
Post #: 4
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 6:56:22 PM   
DaveScheel

Wargamers!

Military Hobbies has just received their first shipment of "World at War". You can visit us at our retail store in Markham, ON or order online at....

http://www.militaryhobbies.com - US and International store
http://www.militaryhobbies.ca - Canadian store

Have a good one folks,

Dave

--
Dave Scheel dave@militaryhobbies.com
The finest in military armor and aircraft kits from around the world. Over 5,000 kits in stock and ready to ship. Wargames for serious wargamers.
http://www.militaryhobbies.com
Toll-free 1-888-423-5555

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 5
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 7:03:09 PM   
ryanw

quote:

Military Hobbies has just received their first shipment of "World at War". You can visit us at our retail store in Markham, ON or order online at....

Well Paul,

Get on the horn w distributor & UPS/Fedex, etc. Determine if this is the hypothetical scam we discussed in the "Ship Date" thread or the real deal

quote:

Actually you would have to pay off the distributers to lie and hack UPS and FEdEx so we see our packages trundling on their way...

OOOPS, Maybe I shouldn't have said that...

-Ryan

< Message edited by ryanw -- 3/24/2005 7:07:27 PM >

(in reply to DaveScheel)
Post #: 6
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 8:29:52 PM   
Scott_WAR

Ok, so where is the DD, Matrix. You said as soon as the retailers have the game we would get the DD. So where is it?

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/24/2005 8:34:29 PM >

(in reply to DaveScheel)
Post #: 7
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 8:31:41 PM   
Becket

Scott:

quote:

Our Digital Download version will be available on Monday March 28th for $39.99 and will come with a PDF manual.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 8
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 8:38:30 PM   
Scott_WAR

Great, the customers who use DD, have to wait LONGER than those going retail. The thing is we told them this was going to happen. I just dont understand how the potential to get maybe 20 new customers is more important than making those who have supported Matrix for years wait.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/24/2005 8:44:58 PM >

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 9
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 8:41:28 PM   
Becket

Took a quick look at your profile to see what the bulk of your posts have been about. Suffice it to say that I do not intend to hit my 1000th post the way you've spent your first 50: arguing about the release.

Hopefully it will be about the game or, even better, making fun of Paul.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 10
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 8:49:27 PM   
Scott_WAR

If I were alone in saying that this is the wrong way to go about it, you might have a valid point. The fact is SEVERAL people have expressed their displeasure at Matrix making their past customers wait, on the hope that they will get more customers through retail, WHICH THEY HAVE ADMITTED DID NOT WORK IN THE PAST. So why treat your loyal customers like this to do something YOU KNOW doesnt work?

Thats the whole point. If it were really something that would make a difference, I could see it, but WE ALL KNOW that retail does not work for wargames. As someone said in another post "Never has. Never will"

It is irelevant now, as Matrix has already made the mistake. Hopefully, when retail sale ar not want they hoped for, and because of these comments, they will not make this mistake again.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/24/2005 8:54:25 PM >

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 11
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 9:08:33 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

If I were alone in saying that this is the wrong way to go about it, you might have a valid point. The fact is SEVERAL people have expressed their displeasure at Matrix making their past customers wait, on the hope that they will get more customers through retail, WHICH THEY HAVE ADMITTED DID NOT WORK IN THE PAST. So why treat your loyal customers like this to do something YOU KNOW doesnt work?

Thats the whole point. If it were really something that would make a difference, I could see it, but WE ALL KNOW that retail does not work for wargames. As someone said in another post "Never has. Never will"

It is irelevant now, as Matrix has already made the mistake. Hopefully, when retail sale ar not want they hoped for, and because of these comments, they will not make this mistake again.

Its 4 days! Can you wait that long?

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 12
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 9:17:42 PM   
mbatch729

Hey Scott,

I understand your point, and so some extent agree w/you. Those of us that have been supporting Matrix for a number of years aren't getting the preferred treatment on this one game. However, Matrix has made a business decision to attempt to get as much exposure for this title as they possibly can. If that means a number of us who are able actually have to go to a store if we want immediate gratification, so be it. Especially if it brings more people into the wargaming, I mean strategy, community.

< Message edited by mbatch729 -- 3/24/2005 9:22:49 PM >

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 13
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 9:35:17 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavraam

quote:

Its 4 days! Can you wait that long?

SURE, but it has been a month,.... not 4 days, since the DD should have been available.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbatch729

Hey Scott,

I understand your point, and so some extent agree w/you. Those of us that have been supporting Matrix for a number of years aren't getting the preferred treatment on this one game. However, Matrix has made a business decision to attempt to get as much exposure for this title as they possibly can. If that means a number of us who are able actually have to go to a store if we want immediate gratification, so be it. Especially if it brings more people into the wargaming, I mean strategy, community.

I agree, IF it would bring more people into the wargaming community. But it wont. This has been tried over and over and over by so many wargaming companies it has become a joke. TURN BASED WARGAMES DO NOT SELL WELL IN RETAIL. RTS games are doing ok, becasue they give the mainstream gamers the "going faster means winning" type of game play that turned based wargames just dont give. Turn based wargames require a lot of thinking, and the masses just dont like to do that.

Edit- let me add, I am not trying to get the DD to be put up before the games release, if it isnt released already, as mavraam seems to think, but am just trying to point out how and why this wasnt a great plan by Matrix. As I said, your loyal customer should not be told they have to wait, so that MAYBE, MAYBE we can get a few new customers. Thats NOT the way to treat your loyal customers.
I understand the retailers desire to not have the game available before they have it, and hey, if they can GAURANTEE so many units bought, then do it, but there are no gaurantees, and in fact the past has proven how well retail works for turnbased wargames. It doesnt.

I would suggest trying to figure out some way to allow past, loyal customers, to get the DD as usual, while normal customers, that have not bought from Matrix before must wait. This way you dont tell those that have supported you they must wait, yet those customers that the retailer are going to get will still have to wait for retail. Maybe something like a club people can join when they register a Matrix game.

Another point,...... some of your loyal customers may actually WANT retail to fail. That way they never have to wait an extra month to get their games from you again. I dont, I am buying the game throug a retail store, just making a point.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/24/2005 9:51:36 PM >

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 14
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 9:47:19 PM   
Paul Vebber

You assume that the decision is one that we had total control over. Can you maybe accept the idea, as others have alluded to, that we may not be in a position to dictate the terms WE want in this?

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 15
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 9:48:46 PM   
Scott_WAR

I dont know, I would think as the game developer AND publisher, you have complete control over it. Those on the development side of things may not, but you can pass along the info being posted here to the suit types that do. However, I could be wrong, and if I am be sure to correct me
Also I have edited the above post, please check it out.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/24/2005 9:54:38 PM >

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 16
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:03:14 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

I would suggest trying to figure out some way to allow past, loyal customers, to get the DD as usual, while normal customers, that have not bought from Matrix before must wait.

Bravo! I agree with you 100%, as a loyal Matrix supporter who owns just about every product they offer i think that us loyal "old timers" should get first crack at it. Now i demand a response and we need swift action: Anyone with more than 100 posts, none of which contain superfluous fluff, who has registered before the year 2005 ought to have a shot at it. Sorry Scott, thanks but we're not accepting new applications, please come back when you have more experience.

< Message edited by TheHellPatrol -- 3/24/2005 10:13:16 PM >

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 17
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:15:35 PM   
Rocco

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

quote:

I would suggest trying to figure out some way to allow past, loyal customers, to get the DD as usual, while normal customers, that have not bought from Matrix before must wait.

Bravo! I agree with you 100%, as a loyal Matrix supporter who owns just about every product they offer i think that us loyal "old timers" should get first crack at it. Now i demand a response and we need swift action: Anyone with more than 100 posts, none of which contain superfluous fluff, who has registered before the year 2005 ought to have a shot at it. Sorry Scott, thanks but we're not accepting new applications, please come back when you have more experience.

Damn, I knew I should have posted more than a few times per month, I'm almost there. Of course, this post doesn't count since it's superfluous!

Rocco

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 18
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:18:43 PM   
Paul Vebber

There is this thing called the "retail supply chain" if you have read any of the industy rants about who controls what, you might get a more realistic idea of where publishers fit.

with thanks to ravinwood

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/596/596734p1.html?fromint=1

Now given the "challenges" of the retail chain exist, do you completely ignore them, or occasionally (as we are doing with this game) flex the system?

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 19
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:31:22 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

quote:

LOL, not bad.

Paul, I am not saying you should not be doing retail, but I am saying you should not make it sem as if retail is more important to you than your loyal customers. That is exactly how it seems when you tell your loyal customer base, that they must wait because retail may get you a few new customers. It seems as if those few potential customers are more important to you.

I am saying you should find a way to give your past, loyal customers what they have become accustomed to getting, in addition to going retail.

Codemasters has a club that you may join when you buy and register one of their games. Being in this club allows you to get demos's and previeas for their games before anyone alse. Matrix could do something similiar. Or simply allow any customer whp had used DD in the past to go ahead and get the DD at the soonest oppurtunity, instead of waiting. Its too late for this to be used with this game, but its just an idea to throw around, so that the grumbling doesnt happen next time you decide a game has retail potential.

Post #: 20
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:41:34 PM   
Scott_WAR

Anyway back to the topic at hand. Any luck on confirming that you indeed have a distribution problem Paul? You said if anyone got the game early you wanted to know, since that would mean there were distibution problems. Well, they claim to have received them in today. Any info for us?

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 21
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:42:14 PM   
Paul Vebber

Now, there is some useful feedback! Thank you!

Those sorts of ideas ahve been floated around in the past, and indeed may come up again. The point I've been trying to make is that its not always possible to "have things our way" or even to always know in a given situation "what our way should be".

prettymuch no matter what decsion we make, somebody gets upset. Either someone that wants direct download can't get the game when they want,. or someone whose only outlet is retail can't get the game when they want (or at all).

When these sort of discussion get beyond the hate, loathing, and acrimony stage and return to try to deal withthe realities everyone has to deal with, that's when you can constructively problem solve.

We have rewarded "loyal customers" in the past with announcements of patch downloads before the general press release, and there may be opportunities to do things like that with digital downloads in the future.

We've got this game in some pretty "heavy hitter" locales, so please forgive some conservatism on our part. We think we are really "onto something" with this game, so bear with us...

For now I think those who have stuck it out have gotten perks in the past, and that will continue to be so in the future.

This effort is a "shot down range" at this point. We understand some aren't happy. Like I said no matter what we do, somebody will feel unhappy. We do appreciate good ideas and will give them a fair discussion.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 22
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:46:16 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Well, they claim to have received them in today. Any info for us?

I was talking about customers. Distributors (which I think military hobby's technically may be?) get them first. They have to ship tehm to retailers. Then customers get them.

The plan is the plan. It is going pretty much along the lines we expected. As in showing up in general for retail sale next week.

DD on the 28th. I would not want to be Digital River if they have a problem ;)

Post #: 23
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:50:59 PM   
Adam Parker

Can ya buy the coffee mug yet?

Post #: 24
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:54:05 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

quote:

Well, they claim to have received them in today. Any info for us?

I was talking about customers. Distributors (which I think military hobby's technically may be?) get them first. They have to ship tehm to retailers. Then customers get them.

The plan is the plan. It is going pretty much along the lines we expected. As in showing up in general for retail sale next week.

Ahh, that explains it. Its right on time then isnt it?

As for Digital River, ROFL, no kidding. They better do some doublechecking the day before just to be SURE. Or else they could be facing a mob, comlete with torches.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/24/2005 11:01:17 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 10:55:40 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

There's a "used" one for sale on ebay if you need it now.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 26
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 11:04:16 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

As for Digital River, ROFL, no kidding. They better do some doublechecking the day before just to be SURE. Or else they could be facing a mob, comlete with torches.
@Paul: That's not funny!
@Scott:they have state of the art security protocols implemented due to the high worker to peasant-with-torch ratio and lots of "on the job"(giggle) training.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 27
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/24/2005 11:10:48 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

I just checked teh store and looks like Cafe Press has teh logos - they are a "print on demand" outfit - so it looks like you can order your hats and mugs ...Then you will be all set to spill your World at War mug contents all over the manual you waited 2 hours and half a print cartridge to print out (or the one that comes in the game box...)

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 3/24/2005 11:15:13 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/25/2005 12:03:42 AM   
Rik81

FWIW--I can give you one vote for "retail" (and it's not me, though, in this case, I will be buying retail). I have a friend that "refused" to buy WITP -- BECAUSE, it didn't have a hard bound/printed manual! (Of course the price of $70 without said manual was another big deterent, ) However, he will be getting WaW BECAUSE he can get it with a hard bound/printed manual! Well, one more sale won't make or break the company, but I suggest this might be magnified a lot.

Post #: 29
RE: Where and When to Get World At War - 3/25/2005 1:21:17 AM   
ratprince

Mr War;

"Most" people in this forum feel you are being too cynical. Just be patient and wait.

Adieu.

Mike

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Where and When to Get World At War Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI