Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This game is gold?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> This game is gold? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This game is gold? - 3/21/2005 2:41:15 AM   
randell765

While I patiently wait for this game, I wonder, how is this game considered "Gold", it hasn't shipped yet. I thought gold represented a 100,000 copies sold? This was probably answered elsewhere, but I was just wondering.
Post #: 1
RE: This game is gold? - 3/21/2005 2:52:57 AM   
Kampferzähn

quote:

ORIGINAL: randell765

While I patiently wait for this game, I wonder, how is this game considered "Gold", it hasn't shipped yet. I thought gold represented a 100,000 copies sold?

I thought "Gold" meant that a game has finished programming/testing and is in production and that "Released" represented those 100,000 copies sold.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 2
RE: This game is gold? - 3/21/2005 3:16:14 AM   
Scott_WAR

Going "gold" is where the actual game code is delivered to be placed on cd's and DVD's. The process USUALLY takes 2 weeks from "going gold" to when the game is on the shelf.

(in reply to Kampferzähn)
Post #: 3
RE: This game is gold? - 3/21/2005 4:00:08 AM   
Pippin

I also used to think going Gold meant a minimum limit of copies were sold. I guess through time the meaning got changed as companies found out the sooner a product is labeled as going gold, the more the people would trust it.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 4
RE: This game is gold? - 3/21/2005 4:29:08 AM   
Barthheart

I believe the "Gold = 100,000 units sold" applies only to the recording industry. In the software industry it has always meant production ready code.

< Message edited by Barthheart -- 3/21/2005 4:43:14 AM >

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 5
RE: This game is gold? - 3/21/2005 11:51:53 AM   
Richard Hakluyt

In software "Going Gold" refers to the master CD being released to the manufacturer. I guess the master CD is gold in colour for some reason.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 6
RE: This game is gold? - 3/21/2005 6:39:52 PM   
Paul Vebber

In the old days, that is exactly it - the "master CD used to duplicate from was a "very high quality"one that actually was made of an ultra high quality material that was gold in color - you did not want to use a flawed disc to copy 10s of thousands of copies from, so the "gold colored ultra high quality" one had the final game burnt on it for duplication.

So when you "froze the code" and compiled the "1.0" installer you burnt it "on gold" or "went gold" with it - meaning prodution was commencing.

(in reply to Richard Hakluyt)
Post #: 7
RE: This game is gold? - 3/23/2005 11:41:07 AM   
CheopisIV

Interesting tidbit. Sounds somewhat misleading without this little bit of history

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> This game is gold? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI